Local sports coverage talk (the Athletic/Local TV/TBN/WGR/Charging Buffalo/LGA, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I listen to WGR all the time. Quite honestly, I don't get as worked up about the hosts as some - with the exception of Hockey Hotline. THe reason that upsets me is that it is the Sabres own show - and it appears that they really don't care about the product they are releasing.

The rest of the hosts on WGR are, IMO, just guys who talk about sports. They are not experts, I don't expect them to know everything and I don't expect them to have inside sources or information like a reporter.

They often take opposite or controversial viewpoints to stimulate conversation. Such is life in a small town sports talk station, I suppose.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
SabresHockeyHotline ‏@SabresHotline -

Coming up this morning - Monday, July 6 - on #SabresHotline on @WGR550 -

10:30 am ET - @duffersabres - Brian Duff
11:05 am ET - @Sangs2224 - Bobby Sanguinetti
11:30 am ET - @pham1717 - Paul Hamilton

Last edited:

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I will listen to anything on WGR because I don't get any Sabres talk around here.

I was driving to work (just east of Oshawa) and I decided to see if 550 would get a decent signal and it was pretty good. I was so happy because I can't stand listening to the FAN590 with constant Leaf talk.

Same situation with me in London. 550 actually comes in pretty good here so i always listen to it now. Paul Hamilton sucks

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Okay. That was moderately funny. But why does WGR have to play the "clark the bear" audio clip minimum give times per show?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I know it's hard to listen to Hockey Hotline in July, but today they had Harry Neale, Dan Dunleavey and Brian Duff on the 1st hour at the same time. Worth a listen. Neale would be an upgrade to Peters!

I loved this gem from Neale:

Sylvester: "You know there is broadcaster shape and there is player shape. They better not be in broadcaster shape, Harry"

Harry Neale: "Speak for yourself fatso".

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
What happened to #analyticsweek on Hockey Hotline? It seems to have started and ended on Tuesday.

I laugh at the possibilities here. Coller is sitting in for Sylvester this week. The last 2 days has been a bunch of player interviews from Petey's former teammates. I'm guessing Peters couldn't handle more than 1 day of math.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresHotline - Jason Pominville will be joining #SabresHotline at 11:30 am ET. Don't miss it!
LaxSabre - Sigh - I missed it! Heres some highlights -
Pominville on his famous SH GWG in Ottawa with #Sabres - It still gives me goosebumps. It was a big moment in my career.
Pominville says he keeps tabs on #Sabres. Sees young team, but should be competitive going forward, have a shot in a few years.
Pominville praises Randy Cunneyworth - "Easy guy to play for because he's likeable... has your back."

Randy Cunneyworth - Steve Ott - Mike Weber were also on the show this morning.

@BuffaloSabres - Wednesday, July 29 -
Former #Sabres Captain @DannyBriere48 called into @SabresHotline this morning.
He hasn’t decided if he’ll retire yet, but he did reflect on some of his times in Buffalo.
He also shared some glowing comments on what new Sabres Ryan O’Reilly and Jamie McGinn were like as teammates.
Listen - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16 Season/Hockey Hotline/20150729-hh-briere.mp3

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Did Mike Weber say today on HH that he was a "horny" young defenseman? :speechles

And Peters said you definitely were mentored by Otter after he said that line.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@BuffaloSabres - Quite the lineup on @SabresHotline today - Cunneyworth - Ott - Weber - Pominville.

Randy Cunneyworth - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16 Season/Hockey Hotline/20150730-hh-cunneyworth.mp3
Steve Ott - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16 Season/Hockey Hotline/20150730-hh-ott.mp3
Mike Weber - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16 Season/Hockey Hotline/20150730-hh-weber.mp3
Jason Pominville - http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2015-16 Season/Hockey Hotline/20150730-hh-pominville.mp3

Sabres Hockey Hotline will have the following guests - Friday, July 31 - 10:30 am ET - Marty Biron - 11:00 am ET - Todd Marchant.
Clarke MacArthur will also be on the show - no time listed.

Last edited:

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
Don Luce was a guest on the show today. He talked about, mostly, the cloak-and-dagger mission he and Gerry Meehan undertook to help Alexander Mogilny defect to the U.S., and sign with the Sabres. It was probably the most interesting hour HH has ever done. But an infuriating one, as well. It was the thousandth example of how the show is being run by hosts who are incompetent (and refuse to work at getting better) and who are unprepared (and refuse to put any effort into the program). As fascinating as Luce's tale was, the hosts totally failed to move the narrative along, and ask the questions that would have added clarity and drama, and would have made it even better. But they have no ability whatsoever at this form of oral journalism, and couldn't be bothered to do the preparation that would not only heighten the depth and quality of the information, but display some microscopic molecule of respect for the audience. There is the notion that the show should simply sound like two guys that have just landed on adjoining barstools with a microphone on. I don't come from that school. Today's show, as interesting—thanks to Luce—as it was, only put the continuing level of amateurishness and indifference on stark display.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Losing Howard would be crushing. Can't see why he can't do his 4 hour radio show and be an adjunct professor, though.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Losing Howard would be crushing. Can't see why he can't do his 4 hour radio show and be an adjunct professor, though.

Howard has always been polite and approachable in the few email conversations that I've had with him. I think he'd be a good professor, but I'd sure miss his presence on the morning show if it came down to an either/or. Somebody has to regulate Jeremy, still, I think.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Howard has always been polite and approachable in the few email conversations that I've had with him. I think he'd be a good professor, but I'd sure miss his presence on the morning show if it came down to an either/or. Somebody has to regulate Jeremy, still, I think.

Half of me wishes they'd offer the job to Schopp, we keep Howard and dead air is more entertaining than Schopp.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
When Schopp in at his best, he can be really thought provoking; it's the other 85% of the time that puts me off. And I just have to turn the dial, because for at least 50% of the 85% that he's unlistenable, he's trying to pick fights with the listeners.

I have to admit though, that I still listen more than I consider healthy. I don't know what makes me tune in, other than it being emotionally provocative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad