List of failed gurantees made by players and coaches.

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
It doesn't happen very often that a player gurantees something will happen. We all know about the highly publicized Messier gurantee of winning game 6 in NJ and getting a hat trick in the third. But what about the ones that didn't end up going so well? These gurantees often get lost in the past and I was just wondering if we could bring a few up.

1. Daniel Alfredsson: "Go ahead and write it', I guarantee we'll win the Cup.'' (2004)

2. Paul Maurice coach saying that the Leafs will make the playoffs and play for the cup. (2007)

3. Mark Messier "I gurantee we will make the playoffs" (2001 season)

Can anyone think of anymore?

Last edited:

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Didnt Kesler say that USA is gonna win during the second intermission of the gold medal game? Im not 100% sure but I think I remember him saying that and that Luongo was fighting the puck

HemskyToHall*

Tom Renney thinks the Oilers will make the playoffs this year.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Hasn't Burke and/or Wilson said the Leafs would make the playoffs either last year or this year?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Matts Sundin:

But I will tell you one thing," he said emphatically. "The Toronto Maple Leafs will win the Stanley Cup while I'm still with the team.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Sabres owner Tom Golisano said he would eat a microphone if the Sabres didn't make the playoffs in '08-'09.

They never did make the post season, he didn't eat a microphone and has been basically MIA to the media since then.

Ogopogo*

I can't remember exactly what season it was but, in the mid to late 90s, Eric Lindros guaranteed a Flyers victory when they were facing playoff elimination. The Flyers got hammered 7-3. :laugh:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I'm curious about how many of these guarantees were just optimstic predictions. I've never heard a player or coach before a playoff game say "I think we're going to lose." Of course they're going to say they'll win. How many of these were actual cases of the player going out of his way to make the guarantee, and how many were just the media trying to pressure it out of him? It could go something like this: "Do you think you'll win?" "Yes." "Do you guarantee it?" What's the guy going to say? If he says no, then he looks unconfident about winning.

And what exactly does a guarantee mean? Isn't the person supposed to offer up something if it doesn't happen? For example, if a store "guarantees" the lowest price on an item, that usually means they'll match or beat a lower price on that item from another store. But what does it mean when an athlete guarantees something, but doesn't offer anything if he's wrong. If the Jets lost, what would Joe Namath have had to do? Probably nothing. What's the point?

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
A few more came to mind

GM Craig Patrick's grantee that the Pens would always make the playoff's in his watch.

Don Waddell 2006

“We'll be in the playoffs," Waddell told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Saturday night.

“If you want to write 'guarantee,' I have no problem with that.â€

2005-2006 season.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Nope, it's a complete myth invented by Jim Coleman, actually.

That was the "supposed" part.

From Wiki (bolded mine): In 1967, the last season of the six-team NHL, the Hawks finished first, breaking the supposed Curse of Muldoon, 23 years after the death of McLaughlin. However, they lost the Stanley Cup Semifinals to the Maple Leafs. Afterward, sportswriter Jim Coleman, who first printed the story of the curse in 1943, admitted that he made the story up to break a writer's block he had as a column deadline approached.:

Anyone know when Coleman admitted this? If I remember correctly, I read about the curse back in late 60's (after 1967) but I was not aware Coleman had made it up.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I'm curious about how many of these guarantees were just optimstic predictions. I've never heard a player or coach before a playoff game say "I think we're going to lose." Of course they're going to say they'll win. How many of these were actual cases of the player going out of his way to make the guarantee, and how many were just the media trying to pressure it out of him? It could go something like this: "Do you think you'll win?" "Yes." "Do you guarantee it?" What's the guy going to say? If he says no, then he looks unconfident about winning.

And what exactly does a guarantee mean? Isn't the person supposed to offer up something if it doesn't happen? For example, if a store "guarantees" the lowest price on an item, that usually means they'll match or beat a lower price on that item from another store. But what does it mean when an athlete guarantees something, but doesn't offer anything if he's wrong. If the Jets lost, what would Joe Namath have had to do? Probably nothing. What's the point?

Isn't that how the guarantee got sucked out of Alfie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad