Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Also, NO SERVICE anticipated on the following lines:

*Far Rockaway

*Hempstead

*Long Beach

*West Hempstead

There will be no service between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal Brooklyn.

http://www.mta.info/status/LIRR/CityTerminalZone/24228630

Hopefully the LIRR has this situation straightened out by the early afternoon hours. Those of you who will use the LIRR to get to Barclays tonight may have to take a train to Penn Station and then the subway to Brooklyn. Check the MTA's website of the LIRR's Twitter feed frequently for the latest updates. The LIRR Twitter seems to be updated in a more timely manner and is my go-to source for info.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The situation is fluid. The LIRR says the service on the Port Washington Branch remains suspended due to switches re-freezing overnight.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
There are several train cancellations due to winter weather conditions. If you're heading to work this morning, check the MTA website or the LIRR Twitter.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Thank goodness I am able to WFH, what a mess. They are doing a great job though, I almost never give the LIRR ****.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Thank goodness I am able to WFH, what a mess. They are doing a great job though, I almost never give the LIRR ****.

Sounds like it's pretty bad on the railroad today. Lucky you don't have to ride it today.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Was at Mineola for 90 minutes before I caught a train. LIRR did a horrible job today. If you aren't ready to restore service then say so. People were understandably getting very pissed.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
As of 12pm service remains suspended between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal Brooklyn. All trains operating to Penn Station.

Service also remains suspended on the Far Rockaway, Hempstead, Long Beach and West Hempstead branches. It sounds like these services will not be restored until Tuesday morning's rush hour.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Hicksville was a nightmare this morning.

I saw the reports on the 12pm news on ch.2. People could not get decent information out of the LIRR. I heard from a friend who got a ride from a PW branch station to the Main Line that trains were at crush load by the time the got to Merrilon Avenue and he waited over an hour before he could fit onto a train.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Port Washington Branch service has been restored. However, looking at the delays being reported on LIRR Twitter it looks like every train has delays.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Normally take the 443 am out of hicksville every day.this starts at Ronkonkoma. Cancelled
The website said the first train through hicksville was to be at 526. This train comes from Huntington. Cancelled

The announcements on the platform said no trains till 7am. If you went on TrainTime ALL trains left on time and are in route.
The kid in the ticket booth said he knew nothing other than the announcement.
Made a call to a friend who was on the next Ronkonkoma train west and they were on the way even as the announcements continued to say no trains.

Supposed to reach hicksville for 535am. Showed up at 6am.
Train was crowded but there were seats up front. Nobody wants to be between 8th and 9th ave at Penn
But that's where the seats always are on days like this.

Made it to penn at 715. Made it to first ave 745.

The 249 pm home left right on time but skipped Carle place and Westbury . Sucks for them folks.
It was a normal ride home . Maybe 5 minutes late cause the 307 Ronkonkoma pulled in to hicksville right behind us.
" Thank you for riding the Long Island railroad. Going nowhere " I mean "going your way."Sorry.

Hope the isles don't need the rails to get to Brooklyn today.

Last edited:

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
I had to give up my tickets to go to a meeting tonight. That probably worked out for the best.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I had to give up my tickets to go to a meeting tonight. That probably worked out for the best.

I gave up my tix as well. No service into Flatbush, Port Washington service resumed too late in the afternoon for me to get to BK, nowhere to park by Bayside LIRR plus the fact that I'd have to make the trip home on a wonky LIRR just didn't appeal to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad