Value of: Linus Ullmark to your goalie needy team

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
It seems to me that Boston doesn’t have a lot of leverage in extracting top value for Ulmark. Everyone knows Boston will be looking to unload him because Swayman is going to get a big raise. Maybe some team steps up, I don’t know. But it seems to me they may only get a mid level pick for him
Boston has $21 million in cap space, $26m with Ullmark off the books.
Boston has TONS of cap room.
This no cap room and no leverage talk is just not true.... and amusing.

Reactions: BruinsJoe

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It seems to me that Boston doesn’t have a lot of leverage in extracting top value for Ulmark. Everyone knows Boston will be looking to unload him because Swayman is going to get a big raise. Maybe some team steps up, I don’t know. But it seems to me they may only get a mid level pick for him

Sure they do because they don't need to trade him. They could roll with Ullmark & Swayman again next year. They have plenty of cap to fill out their roster while have both goalies.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I'd love to get Ullmark and Carlo but I'm worried Ullmark won't re-sign in Ottawa. He would need to come with an extension or else Ottawa gets outbid easily.

Chychrun/Chabot, Opstapchuk, Jarventie, Brannstrom, Joseph, BOS 1st, Top-10 protected 2025+ picks would all be on the table in some form. I'd even consider adding Pinto (and Zacha) if it's Swayman was involved instead of Ullmark though.

Truly solving RD and G would be a massive gain for Ottawa.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Obviously this is just my own opinion of how the Devils view it, but the reason I think they like Markstrom is the 2 years left. I don't think that they want to attach themselves to a goalie for 5-6 years and I think they are still pretty high on their organizational guys (Poulter, Schmid, Daws, Malek). I feel like if they trade for Ullmark, it's a rental. Ullmark's next contract is probably something like 5 years @ 6 million assuming he remains steady, and I just don't think the Devils have the appetite for that kind of commitment on a goalie.

Would have a interest in Frederic though

No really interested in moving Frederic. I think it’s one of those “ok, but what makes it HURT” kind of offers. Moving Frederic alone ain’t gonna net a return that is worth it.

Reactions: Forge

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Ullmark can be traded to half the league. I don't imagine that the B's will have a difficult time "extracting value" from him if deciding to move him.

For a team shopping for a long term goalie, he's probably the #2 target behind Saros, and maybe even #1 depending on where his salary demands fall relative to Saros.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Ullmark can be traded to half the league. I don't imagine that the B's will have a difficult time "extracting value" from him if deciding to move him.

For a team shopping for a long term goalie, he's probably the #2 target behind Saros, and maybe even #1 depending on where his salary demands fall relative to Saros.
Eh. For a goalie, that 15 team no trade is almost a full no trade TBH.

He doesn't need to include teams that have established and long term starters. Winnipeg, for example, is commonly on no trade lists. He doesn't need to waste one there.

By the time that he's done creating that list, I'd wager there's probably only a couple of teams left that may be really targeting him.

That's not to say Boston won't get value for him. I think they'll do just fine there, but that ntc is stronger than just 15 because he's a goalie

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

He doesn't need to include teams that have established and long term starters. Winnipeg, for example, is commonly on no trade lists. He doesn't need to waste one there.

By the time that he's done creating that list, I'd wager there's probably only a couple of teams left that may be really targeting him.

That's not to say Boston won't get value for him. I think they'll do just fine there, but that ntc is stronger than just 15 because he's a goalie

NYR
NYI
WPG
TBL
DAL
FLA
CGY
VAN
NSH

Those teams would be a waste. So you put 15 teams other that those, and there's suddenly only 7 teams left he could somewhat reasonably be dealt to, and some of them might not have cap space (like Vegas for example).

From there, some may only be interested if he comes extended. If he's unwilling , then I can see the list dwindle down to 2-4 teams.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

If Ullmark was at the end of his career and desparate to stay a Bruin, then sure, he can use that 15 team NTC and treat it like a lot more....

But, he's not. He's 30 years old with career earnings in the $21m range after this year. He's fully aware (or at least, his agent should be telling him) that next offseason is a year he absolutely needs to hit a home run contract.

He & Swayman can be the best buddies in the world, but it seems pretty clear to me that Sway has become at the very least, 1A, leaving him with no real opportunity in Boston, to either increase his market value, or get the extension that he can elsewhere.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Maybe Utah Capfloorers get him for some picks, would'nt be surprised.
I'm very curious if Utah spends big this off season. Would they want to make a big splash right away? Not even talking Ullmark but in general

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
If Ullmark was at the end of his career and desparate to stay a Bruin, then sure, he can use that 15 team NTC and treat it like a lot more....

But, he's not. He's 30 years old with career earnings in the $21m range after this year. He's fully aware (or at least, his agent should be telling him) that next offseason is a year he absolutely needs to hit a home run contract.

He & Swayman can be the best buddies in the world, but it seems pretty clear to me that Sway has become at the very least, 1A, leaving him with no real opportunity in Boston, to either increase his market value, or get the extension that he can elsewhere.
He can treat it like a lot more anyway. There's no reason not to make sure he gets as much say as possible. He can always accept the trade, but I know I'd still want to control as much as possible.

He's already used it once and negotiated it for a reason.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
New Jersey is close-ish to Boston, is on the cusp of being a young-ish playoff team and needs a high quality goalie for the next few years. Probably one of the teams that Ullmark would agree to go to.

to Boston Bruins
one of Daws or Schmid
a pick or prospect

to New Jersey Devils
Linus Ullmark

Ullmark (and his $5 cap hit) to New Jersey for Daws or Schmid. Both waiver exempt until next summer, both RFA, both not established as full time NHL players worthy of big cap hits. And a second piece as well going to Boston. Devils fans I would assume prefer to keep Daws and send Schmid, maybe Boston prefers Daws. Either way.

Boston gets a young AHL starter for injury callups who can backup Swayman full-time starting a year from now, and also recieve a pick or prospect. Also cap space, which they aren't desperate for, but hey it's still cap space. BOS probably going hard after Elias Lindholm and could use cap flexibility beyond that. Devils get their goalie.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
New Jersey is close-ish to Boston, is on the cusp of being a young-ish playoff team and needs a high quality goalie for the next few years. Probably one of the teams that Ullmark would agree to go to.

to Boston Bruins
one of Daws or Schmid
a pick or prospect

to New Jersey Devils
Linus Ullmark

Ullmark (and his $5 cap hit) to New Jersey for Daws or Schmid. Both waiver exempt until next summer, both RFA, both not established as full time NHL players worthy of big cap hits. And a second piece as well going to Boston. Devils fans I would assume prefer to keep Daws and send Schmid, maybe Boston prefers Daws. Either way.

Boston gets a young AHL starter for injury callups who can backup Swayman full-time starting a year from now, and also recieve a pick or prospect. Also cap space, which they aren't desperate for, but hey it's still cap space. BOS probably going hard after Elias Lindholm and could use cap flexibility beyond that. Devils get their goalie.
Bruins don't need Daws or Schmid. They have Bussi waiting in the wings or can just sign a cheap vet to play ~25 games a year.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

to Boston Bruins
one of Daws or Schmid
a pick or prospect

to New Jersey Devils
Linus Ullmark

There is no reason to trade Ullmark for an AHL goalie. If they had promise you wouldn't be offering them up considering it's the position you're trying to fill.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
When there’s like 7-8 teams desperately looking for goalies and he’s by far the best, he’s getting a lot more than a mid round pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad