Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It's a foregone conclusion that Ruff will be frustrated with Skinner very early -- literally every coach he's had has grown to hate the way he plays, and Ruff is less likely to put up with it than any of them, except for maybe RBA.

The question is what he does about it. Convinces T-Pegs to buy him out, or just staple him to the bench as a 13th forward, and play the Rochester callups over him? It certainly is one of the big questions of the offseason for me. You can't play him on the 4th line, you can MAYBE play him on the third line if he has two really strong linemates.
It's clear Skinner's style and Ruff's style / needs / wants have a large gap. If there is a bridge to be built, it's that - at least to the eye test - Skinner will go to the dirty areas down low: low slot, crease, etc., which Lindy needs / wants, and particularly called out in his media appearances since re-hired. Whether the stats back that up, in either shots / HDSC in both absolute terms and in percentage of shots - I don't have the skills to search. I think the data-based reality will be relevant to how the Skinner-Ruff relationship goes. From my view today, o-zone turnovers on entry with dumb passes / give-aways will likely incur equal disdain from Ruff regardless of player jersey number. Skinner and others who go and/or park themselves down low will get a longer leash.

To your other comments. My eye test saw Skinner on the 4th line more often than not in the waning games of the season, at least for the opening roster lines. (and with Peterka elevated to top line) So I think the experiment has begun. Or at least the trial is being repeated.

I also expect Ruff to (try to) use more balanced lines than Granato until he (along with Adams) gets 13 forwards he's ready to hitch his wagon to.

Personality-wise, I expect Ruff to be more demanding / directing of Adams as regards roster needs, but that is only speculation on my part from miles away based only on Ruffs longevity / history and lacks any insight into what is truly going on behind the scenes.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Also as a side note…Vanek is the perfect example of how to understand Lindy’s relationship with players. Some people seem surprised that Vanek is so positive about Lindy or that he texted Lindy when he got the job to tell him he’s the exact right fit. But there’s a difference between a bad boss and a boss who gets you to your best and helps you maximize your ability and earning potential. Yeah…you hate a lot of the time. And it also made you great and you love your life because of it.

I remember Slash was asked about working with Axl during their decades apart after the breakup. He said he’s never worked with a more difficult person. That some days were so impossible you just had to walk away and think about not coming back. And then he paused and said…but he’s the best artist I’ve ever worked with and those were the best times of my career.

I hope some of the players reach out to guys like Vanek if they have those tough days with Lindy. Because he has a world of advice on how to look at things in a bigger picture.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
re coach search, Dreger on wgr this morning "This is what happens when you do not provide a lot of information, guys like us and Friedman start digging and hearing the truth from people"
He talked about this in regard to William Nylander's status not a coaching search - at least when I was tuned in

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

If Buffalo was rebuffed by Berube, I'm sure it's because he wanted term and Pegula wouldn't give it. More proof that Lindy was the budget option -- which I don't necessarily have a problem with. More expensive doesn't' always mean better.

re coach search, Dreger on wgr this morning "This is what happens when you do not provide a lot of information, guys like us and Friedman start digging and hearing the truth from people"

He talked about this in regard to William Nylander's status not a coaching search - at least when I was tuned in

Dreger is trying to take credit for a scoop he had no part of, lumping himself in with an actual reporter to try to give himself credibility. He's never had a scoop of any kind, as far as I know. Maybe one, early in his career, that he's still coasting on.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
His track record is better than almost anyone the last few years. The sour grapes are hilarious.
I have no idea what this means or what sour grapes literally anyone would have with Friedman. And you should pull up friedman’s thoughts on the Sabres the past two years and soak in that very very very low success rate

Reactions: joshjull

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
If Buffalo was rebuffed by Berube, I'm sure it's because he wanted term and Pegula wouldn't give it. More proof that Lindy was the budget option -- which I don't necessarily have a problem with. More expensive doesn't' always mean better.
Re: the bold (that I added). I don't feel that is necessarily the case here. I get the feeling from some comments that Ruff will right the coaching ship and then move into more of an advisory role.

That may be more of my wishful thinking but I'm hoping that is how it goes.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
If Berube turned Adams down over fit there's nothing you can do about that. If it was over $$$ or term we are in trouble. It makes sense though. A coach like Berube would be coming in looking to make this team a contender now. He would want his 32 year old defenseman, his 31 year old forward, and his 30 year old vet goalie. Adams has assembled a top 4 D core that's 23, 23, 22, and 20. His goalies are 24 and 21. And that is who he's going to stick with for the next 5 years to compete with.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Re: the bold (that I added). I don't feel that is necessarily the case here. I get the feeling from some comments that Ruff will right the coaching ship and then move into more of an advisory role.

That may be more of my wishful thinking but I'm hoping that is how it goes.
My comment was in response to the report that Berube turned Buffalo down. If that's true, then the plan you put forth wasn't Adams intention. Though maybe Pegula wants him as a future GM, and was pulling the strings all along, though we'll never know so any theories will always only be theories.

If Berube turned Adams down over fit there's nothing you can do about that. If it was over $$$ or term we are in trouble. It makes sense though. A coach like Berube would be coming in looking to make this team a contender now. He would want his 32 year old defenseman, his 31 year old forward, and his 30 year old vet goalie. Adams has assembled a top 4 D core that's 23, 23, 22, and 20. His goalies are 24 and 21. And that is who he's going to stick with for the next 5 years to compete with.
If he goes to Ottawa or NJD, we'll know it was over money.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
My comment was in response to the report that Berube turned Buffalo down. If that's true, then the plan you put forth wasn't Adams intention. Though maybe Pegula wants him as a future GM, and was pulling the strings all along, though we'll never know so any theories will always only be theories.

I really doubt they offered the job to Berube outright and he turned it down. I think it was Ruff all along because he fits what the Sabres want to do better beyond all the history. But I'm sure they had a nice long talk with Berube at some point.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I really doubt they offered the job to Berube outright and he turned it down. I think it was Ruff all along because he fits what the Sabres want to do better beyond all the history. But I'm sure they had a nice long talk with Berube at some point.
I mean, a guy reported that the Sabres "tried to hire him" and failed. I have no reason to think he's lying since he has no reason to. Signs are pointing to it not being Ruff all along, but it hardly matters at this point. Maybe it was for the best.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I thought the same thing.
"Can't turn me down if I didn't conduct an official, formal interview"

1714066805937.png

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Having a conversation is not extending an offer would be what I would expect the comment from the Sabres to be if they comment.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

It's nice to be right once in a while. :D

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Berube was one Jordan Binnington hot streak away from being a coach that no Sabres fan would really want here.

I am not that disappointed that he turned the Sabres down.
Same. Give me the safe, short term option in Ruff. This young team needs to learn how to win first and foremost, and I'd rather have a mentor like Ruff guiding them than Berube.

Different scenarios call for different coaches, and I'm sure both sides recognized the scenario the Sabres are in is not a great fit for a coach with a short resume. We wanted experience and leadership, and that's what we got.

It's enough to pull me back in next season, at least!

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad