Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Starts here:

EF on Lindy: "He is ecstatic."
"They couldn't have hired a person who wanted to be the head coach of the Sabres more than Lindy Ruff."
"They didn't waste people's time" is also a comment in there.:biglaugh:

Sometimes it helps to listen to people before vilifying them. Friendman's take on this is more reasonable than most.

He's also correct more than anyone who's worked for Buffalo the past the years, so shitting on him to defend Pegula and Adams seems like misdirected anger.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sometimes it helps to listen to people before vilifying them. Friendman's take on this is more reasonable than most.

He's also correct more than anyone who's worked for Buffalo the past the years, so shitting on him to defend Pegula and Adams seems like misdirected anger.

I'm not particularly mad at him. *shrug*

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It didn't seem like you were, it wasn't aimed at you. A lot of folks were mad at him on here for the reasons he explains on the podcast though.

Ah, okay. The coffee hasn't seeped into the folds yet. :laugh:

This appears that both are right - Adams spun that he spoke with a bunch of people about the position AND that doesn't constitute what teams who are normally doing an exhaustive search do. The upside for Buffalo is getting right to the person they were already leaning toward who has a drive to be the coach of the team and see it succeed, has recent history working with young and offensively gifted players, and is also going to be inexpensive due to his old NJ contract. The downside is in failing to do intel work on other teams or from other coaches, the optics of again being expedient instead of thorough, and perhaps missing opportunities for that information or finding another candidate who may be a better tactician or task master.

I'm still chuckling over the "they didn't waste anyone's time" thing. Marek mentioned that some guys do complain that teams only interview them for info on their old employers.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

This appears that both are right - Adams spun that he spoke with a bunch of people about the position AND that doesn't constitute what teams who are normally doing an exhaustive search do. The upside for Buffalo is getting right to the person they were already leaning toward who has a drive to be the coach of the team and see it succeed, has recent history working with young and offensively gifted players, and is also going to be inexpensive due to his old NJ contract. The downside is in failing to do intel work on other teams or from other coaches, the optics of again being expedient instead of thorough, and perhaps missing opportunities for that information or finding another candidate who may be a better tactician or task master.

I'm still chuckling over the "they didn't waste anyone's time" thing. Marek mentioned that some guys do complain that teams only interview them for info on their old employers.
Yep. But that doesn’t cleanly fit narratives so ….

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Lindy was on Sabres live with Marty today and he brought up seeing Peterka in the AHL playoffs and thinking he was the best player on either team. I think he’s going to like him. He’s not one of the players I’m worried about. He produced in the NHL but he was a better player under Appert IMO. Funny how that happens.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yep. But that doesn’t cleanly fit narratives so ….

True true. It's possible it exists in the middle and to Adams, he thinks the work he did was sufficient. Looking at the staff, Adams's AGM has gone through the recycling process in Carolina when they brought back Maurice, and the replacement of Johnson with Sullivan in Pittsburgh plus the replacement of Maurice 1.0 with Laviolette. I just wish they had more experience in their front office...

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Another thing to note is that they did an exhaustive interview process the last two times, and it didn't exactly work out great. Why keep doing the same thing, especially if you know who you want? Adams is putting his name/job on the line, he's going to do what he thinks will give him the best shot at success. Who cares how he arrived there?

Probably pissed off a lot of people in the process too last time, if they weren't serious -- like you say. There's nothing that pisses me off more than attending an interview when they already know who they're going to hire...almost as much as I hate conducting them when I know who I want to hire because of some mandated process. It wastes everyone's time and leaves a lot of bad feeling in the wake.

Lindy was on Sabres live with Marty today and he brought up seeing Peterka in the AHL playoffs and thinking he was the best player on either team. I think he’s going to like him. He’s not one of the players I’m worried about. He produced in the NHL but he was a better player under Appert IMO. Funny how that happens.
The only potential weak links on the team IMO are Skinner, Joki, and Krebs. And two of them (Krebs + Joki) might be fine under a different coach. One of them (Joki) probably won't even be on the team to begin with.

My main worry are the players that aren't there yet. Our success will be determined by the 2-4 players Adams brings in. He can't whiff again there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Another thing to note is that they did an exhaustive interview process the last two times, and it didn't exactly work out great. Why keep doing the same thing, especially if you know who you want? Adams is putting his name/job on the line, he's going to do what he thinks will give him the best shot at success. Who cares how he arrived there?

Probably pissed off a lot of people in the process too last time, if they weren't serious -- like you say. There's nothing that pisses me off more than attending an interview when they already know who they're going to hire...almost as much as I hate conducting them when I know who I want to hire because of some mandated process. It wastes everyone's time and leaves a lot of bad feeling in the wake.

It very much mirrors many hiring practices now - have no intention of hiring from outside but put on a dumbshow of going through the process as a future justification all the while intending to just give the position to someone they already had sought. Not like I know much about this. :biglaugh:

I will say I'm still ambivalent about it. The good and the bad mostly balance out for me, he's here now so it's a matter of seeing them get to work to fix what needs fixing and leverage what was working to be better. In a vacuum, an experienced guy who has recent history of getting very good in-zone chance generation undercut by his tenders' inability to give that team saves seems like the answer to my annual complaint that this team relies too much on rush chances instead of settle offense.

Elsewhere, Lambert has not responded. I wasn't expecting any response. I'm sitting with the band kid at the gifted lunch table that the analytics preppies are going to throw food at while pretending they're important.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Yeah. Peterka was great in the playoffs for ROC. I wonder what he thinks of Quinn. He had a rough playoffs, but had an insane regular season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Bill Burr thing about Lindy in Marty's clip - one of the first signs I ever saw (back when they let signs in) was against the Rangers and "Ruff is, Playfair doesn't". My inner dad jokes were appeased that day. That game also featured a helmetless Ron Dugauy and Berry Beck having an egg thrown at them during warmups from the oranges. Anyway... old. Yes.

:wally :wally:

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
The boys shit on the hire for the most part. Think its a lazy hire and Adams job is on the line.

Biz thinks another young, out of the box hire made more sense...

I f***ing hate how Murrs is considered the "Sabres guys" but doesn't know anything about the team..

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don’t know how anyone could watch this Sabres team and think they need young and out of the box behind the bench.

They literally begged for exactly this publicly.

People just can not handle that the guy who legit fit best with what they’ve built and what they need coached here before. It’s madness. They were supposed to hire a worse fit and bigger risk because…he coached here before? The man was a Jack Adams finalist the last f***ing time the award was handed out.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The boys shit on the hire for the most part. Think its a lazy hire and Adams job is on the line.

Biz thinks another young, out of the box hire made more sense...

I f***ing hate how Murrs is considered the "Sabres guys" but doesn't know anything about the team..

Hockey bros don't like it? Whatever.

Say they did something wild like Carle or Ronnberg from Frolunda (clearing the way for Dahl's dad to move up)... you can't tell me they wouldn't be dumping on that like a heavy industry into a landfill too.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I thought Wilford did ok, Lindy might not agree

I was not pleased with a lot of their defense backsliding this year so I know I'm biased. I also didn't like Marty's work in Anaheim or them turfing him because they didn't like his work. But... Ruff may think he's doing the right things. His interview with Biron mentioned the forwards being better in their own zone and that's like music to my ears. Getting it out of them... let's see if it happens.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don’t know how anyone could watch this Sabres team and think they need young and out of the box behind the bench.

They literally begged for exactly this publicly.

People just can not handle that the guy who legit fit best with what they’ve built and what they need coached here before. It’s madness. They were supposed to hire a worse fit and bigger risk because…he coached here before? The man was a Jack Adams finalist the last f***ing time the award was handed out.

I'm sure Bizz is absolutely all over himself to watch Buffalo. :laugh:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The Bill Burr thing about Lindy in Marty's clip - one of the first signs I ever saw (back when they let signs in) was against the Rangers and "Ruff is, Playfair doesn't". My inner dad jokes were appeased that day. That game also featured a helmetless Ron Dugauy and Berry Beck having an egg thrown at them during warmups from the oranges. Anyway... old. Yes.

:wally :wally:

Really wanted to react to this post with :GWC: but alas, limited options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad