Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Buffalo wanted a playoff experience coach. Who was out there?
Ruff is 16th all-time and 4th among active coaches in playoff games coached.

Lavalamp, DeBoer, Cooper active and above him.

Edit: as for who is out there, scan the list. There are some possible, but I don't think a clear upgrade over Ruff, and who would want to come to Buffalo hands-down.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
It is not stop massive leap of logic to wonder if his 'interviews' with other candidates were done simply so they could say they did a coaching search rather than some deep dive search they did for a new coach.
But if the interviews were conducted just to get insight from others on the teams needs, what's wrong with that?

Someone, maybe not you, mentioned they were fine with the hire but he missed an opportunity to interview others and get insight on the team. If he did that, I don't see the problem if he knew he wanted Ruff.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
When Lindy was fired the Devils were 30-27-4. They went 8-12-1 afterwards…and that was with a new goalie putting up 6 appearances at a .923. He went 1-4. The Devils roster didn’t get a coaching change bump. Because the problem wasn’t the coach.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Is Ruff still being paid by the Devils for the next two years? If so it seems like this was the plan all along to appease the fanbase after chanting for Donny's dismissal and not having to pay a coach while Donny still gets paid.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Awesome, right on message with the conspiracy theorists. I'm sure we'll now all ignore how he was a great fit for the team. This is all Pegula's fault already!

Adams point-blank said he interviewed a dozen people. I know the internet loves to assume people are always lying, but for the life of me, sometimes you need to take people at their word.

You act like people are suggesting this is actually a clone of Lindy ruff we froze in 2009 and we sent the current Lindy ruff to a secret nazi moon base.

It’s perfectly reasonable to suggest a week long coaching search was just for show and the owner had an oversized influence in the choice.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Is Ruff still being paid by the Devils for the next two years? If so it seems like this was the plan all along to appease the fanbase after chanting for Donny's dismissal and not having to pay a coach while Donny still gets paid.
No, once a coach is hired they no longer have to be paid by another franchise. At least as I understand it.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Not sure it works like that with NHL coaches. Vs. say, Russel Wilson signing with the Stealers for 1 Million since the Seahawks have to pay him 40.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Tf is this about? Just because you don’t like what Friedman said doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to post it.

I’ve said I liked this hire the entire way and said the 6-7 day timeline wasn’t a big deal if he knew exactly who he wanted

Chill out on being so agro
It isn't directed at you, unless you happen to believe that the Sabres being bad is part of a Pegula conspiracy to make/save money.

You just posted it, so I just responded.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I’ve made it to the point where they start talking about who’s making what. I don’t think Andrew understands that once somebody takes a contract somewhere else as a coach. Their former team isn’t on the book anymore. Unless something is fundamentally changed, once a guy gets hired, his old contract is now void and he doesn’t get any money. What the f*** am I even doing listening to this trash?
Without seeing the actually contract, most professional services agreements have a clawback clause where the employer gets a clawback of any monies earned by the employee, i.e. a credit, against what is owed by the employer. If Lindy’s new deal doesn’t exceed what he was to be paid under the NJ deal he would collect the difference between those amounts. It essentially puts Ruff in the same position he would have been had he not been terminated without cause.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Not at all. Once Lindy signs here, the Devils are free and clear of whatever they owe Lindy.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I also think there wasn’t exactly a waiting list of coaches to come here after 13 yrs of no playoffs and a revolving door at gm and coach.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Not at all. Once Lindy signs here, the Devils are free and clear of whatever they owe Lindy.
Only if the Sabres are paying him more. He gets the benefit of the bargain of the deal. If NJ owed him 2 million a year and the Sabres are paying 1 million he would still be getting a million from NJ.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
No, once a coach is hired they no longer have to be paid by another franchise. At least as I understand it.
Depends on how their contract is worded. I think most coaching contracts have "offset" language, so if Team A fires their coach, and that coach is hired by Team B, then Team A is only on the hook for the difference in salary if they are making less coaching Team B. In other words, the Team A salary is partially offset by the Team B salary, so the coach isn't double-dipping, but they don't end up with a pay cut for taking another job after being fired.

Reactions: Tatanka

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Has anyone tallied up how much Pegula has paid out to his terminated coaches? Gotta be around 15 million ballpark.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
no way !!

can't be true

they tell me that Pegula is cheap
He saved more than that each of the last three years on nothing more than roster salary. And that’s with an artificially deflated cap meant to reimburse him already. There was a bloodletting in the organization when Adams was hired that has set them behind the 8 ball in every way. They’re telling you the right thing. You should listen.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
IMG_7488.jpeg

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
in particular, I liked how Ruff described accountability in the same terms as Gronato (...which gronato got pilloried for)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad