Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
The problem is there is a group of people who just believe he is bold face lying. Which, if that's the case, means these people wouldn't have been happy no matter what happened because they are already just going to believe what they want to regardless of the information. If the question wasn't asked they'd be mad and if Adams straight said, "yea I only talked to Ruff" they also would have been mad.

I think there is a right to be a little frustrated with Adams response because it is pedantic.

We have heard what the interview process can entail across a lot of HC interviews in the big 4 and college athletics and that is a multiple rounds of 2, 3, and sometimes 4 hour sit downs and presentations from both sides.

Adams didn't do this with 10 candidates over 6 days. He likely didn't even do this with 2-3 candidates in that time.

We can also assume he didn't interview any candidates on any teams currently in the playoffs or we would have heard about it because those teams would need to grant permission. So he also didn't interview anybody from the top half of the league either.

He isn't lying. But he also isn't being straight forward either.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I think there is a right to be a little frustrated with Adams response because it is pedantic.

We have heard what the interview process can entail across a lot of HC interviews in the big 4 and college athletics and that is a multiple rounds of 2, 3, and sometimes 4 hour sit downs and presentations from both sides.

Adams didn't do this with 10 candidates over 6 days. He likely didn't even do this with 2-3 candidates in that time.

We can also assume he didn't interview any candidates on any teams currently in the playoffs or we would have heard about it because those teams would need to grant permission. So he also didn't interview anybody from the top half of the league either.

He isn't lying. But he also isn't being straight forward either.
My response is: so what? He already said he wanted someone with previous head coaching experience. That narrows the field down to a very limited number of candidates. Of those, he probably had no interest in several. The rest have a body of work that is well documented and very public. Job interviews have repeatedly been shown to be extremely unreliable ways of hiring people. Their track record and third-hand information is much more important. I have no problem with him short-cutting the interview process.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I just think it’s funny that we managed to narrow down the people who fit his stated criteria to like three guys and were left wondering how he could hire a coach in six days. Why…that would require talking to a coach every other day!

I mean…it’s one banana Michael, how much could it cost? 10 dollars?

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
My response is: so what? He already said he wanted someone with previous head coaching experience. That narrows the field down to a very limited number of candidates. Of those, he probably had no interest in several. The rest have a body of work that is well documented and very public. Job interviews have repeatedly been shown to be extremely unreliable ways of hiring people. Their track record and third-hand information is much more important. I have no problem with him short-cutting the interview process.

I don't necessarily disagree with you.

But after 13 years plus leadership under Granato, coaching mishaps, roster management, and this entire rebuild philosophy coming under criticism it is fair for fans to be annoyed by the GM entering his 5th year being intentionally pedantic about how many candidates he "interviewed" vs. "talked to".

Especially after he just basically did the same thing 2 years ago during the Granato hiring process and for whatever reason extended him.

Either way I think Adams had to introduce his new boss today.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Definitely worth the listen.

Rivet talking about how Roy was scared of Lindy reminded me of another comment from a pod I listened to that quoted Bull Durham.

They’re kids. Scare ‘em.

Reactions: sabresEH

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lindy already started coaching during his presser with three letters.

UPL

A strong message was sent to Levi that nothing is going to be handed to him.

Even beyond that, it’s building a rapport with a player who ended last season on a down note, began this season as second fiddle who is now looking at contract negotiations. I’m sure he’s happy to hear that the new coach has a lot of confidence in him right off the bat, he’s pumping UPL‘s tires. And he did mention Levi later bring him back in. It was interesting watching how he did that.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I don't necessarily disagree with you.

But after 13 years plus leadership under Granato, coaching mishaps, roster management, and this entire rebuild philosophy coming under criticism it is fair for fans to be annoyed by the GM entering his 5th year being intentionally pedantic about how many candidates he "interviewed" vs. "talked to".

Especially after he just basically did the same thing 2 years ago during the Granato hiring process and for whatever reason extended him.

Either way I think Adams had to introduce his new boss today.
I guess. I don't read too much into press conferences. I'm more interested with the result (Ruff) than Kevyn's public description of the process. But if others want to be annoyed, that's fine.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Friedman said the Sabres didn’t actually do much of a search and he thinks Pegula had a hand in the hiring as well (he mentions because he’s paying for Granato so of course he would)
Awesome, right on message with the conspiracy theorists. I'm sure we'll now all ignore how he was a great fit for the team. This is all Pegula's fault already!

Adams point-blank said he interviewed a dozen people. I know the internet loves to assume people are always lying, but for the life of me, sometimes you need to take people at their word.

Last edited:

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Kevin made his decision. Quicker than thought. Now we see if gmka keeps his job.

The key will be in the assistants and then the player evaluations and roster changes.

I sure hope this was the right call.
The only thing I'm worried about is that Adams thinks his roster is hunkie dorie and won't make any changes

Reactions: Tatanka

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The only thing I'm worried about is that Adams thinks his roster is hunkie dorie and won't make any changes
We already know he doesn't think so. He tried to get another forward at the deadline. Now he's probably looking for multiple. There was also word the defense top 6 isn't something you should consider set either.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I tapped quick with Peters opening with the full court press of conspiracy theories. I can't.

I’ve made it to the point where they start talking about who’s making what. I don’t think Andrew understands that once somebody takes a contract somewhere else as a coach. Their former team isn’t on the book anymore. Unless something is fundamentally changed, once a guy gets hired, his old contract is now void and he doesn’t get any money. What the f*** am I even doing listening to this trash?

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I’ve made it to the point where they start talking about who’s making what. I don’t think Andrew understands that once somebody takes a contract somewhere else as a coach. Their former team isn’t on the book anymore. Unless something is fundamentally changed, once a guy gets hired, his old contract is now void and he doesn’t get any money. What the f*** am I even doing listening to this trash?
It’s good for emotional reactions but not for much else

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Awesome, right on message with the conspiracy theorists. I'm sure we'll now all ignore how he was a great fit for the team. This is all Pegula's fault already!

Adams point-blank said he interviewed a dozen people. I know the internet loves to assume people are always lying, but for the life of me, sometimes you need to take people at their word.
Tf is this about? Just because you don’t like what Friedman said doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to post it.

I’ve said I liked this hire the entire way and said the 6-7 day timeline wasn’t a big deal if he knew exactly who he wanted

Chill out on being so agro

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
his place is gorgeous.
(and)
can see Toronto on a clear day
On the escarpment? Lewiston? Closer to Lockport?
A. Is it correct that it's only a two year contract? B. Adams has been operating on a very odd timeline his entire tenure so far. C. Is the idea that Ruff is just going to be a holdover for a couple years while the younger players continue to mature? D. These players are going to start getting pissed that moves aren't being made to build a serious winner.
A. Since Ruff was released mid-late season in 2013, the only coach who has lasted more than 2 years is Don Granato, at 3 years 1 month, counting his interim term after the St. Patrick's Day "massacre". Also, contract terms are mutually negotiated. Ruff may have wanted no more than 2 years, or Pegula imposed 2 years max on Adams. Or it was mutually agreed by all 3 of them. Certainly doesn't seem out of line to me, considering the NHL coaching tenures writ large.
B. ????? To your personal expectations, NHL norms, or ?
C. I'm sure that's it - Ruff was hired to stand behind the bench while some massive data center in the wheat fields of Saskatchewan develops AI NHL coaching.
D. Your ability to connect dots that aren't even in a 3-d volume, let alone a plane, is remarkable.
Ruff mentioned Ray, Peters and Mair by name as important role players.

Just sayin'.
Guys who were committed, connected, and consistent. And were proud to wear the uniform.
I think Lindy Ruff has a high chance of success but I heard a ton of BS in that press conference from Kevyn Adams that doesn't fill me with confidence. But Ruff is already putting pressure on the team by singling out out UPL as his goalie. I like that. Love the fact he mentioned faceoffs. Ruff is 64 with no much to lose and could be key in influencing Pegula which could mean Terry just signing a couple more checks here and there. Go Lindy.
Agreed in particular with the bolded.
We need his xSmartPlays to be 3x greater than his xStupidPlays
The fact that at the end of the season so many of the latter were predictable by those of us watching is, in itself, comical.
Been traveling, so this is new to me today.

Is it reasonable to expect much more accountability, d-zone structure, and defensive play in general from Lindy?

Words to eat later ... I think the existing roster, plus a couple of acquisitions, combined with the above produces a playoff berth in 2024/25.
Yes, in capitalized, bolded, underlined, italics large font.

YES
I'm not complaining about the timeline, just interested in knowing if this is the fastest NHL head coach hire after the regular season has ended.
Not even close, for the Sabres or rest of NHL.
If I had to guess on three people who Lindy will love the most it would be Dahlin, Tuch and Benson. I also think he will love Savoie in camp. Maybe not enough to get him a spot…but he’s going to love the way he plays at the speed he plays at. Those guys work.

I don’t think Peterka is going to get doghoused the way some do. Peca loved him most for a reason. He can do everything…you just have to teach him and put him in position to do it. Lindy will like how coachable he is.

On the other hand…I think Olofsson is leaving at a very good time for him to do so.
Agree. Peterka has the skills to be a more complete player. His burst alone can allow him to cover a greater length of the ice regardless of which end he is starting from. He needs to want it, and Lindy's threat of TOI will hopefully bring it out of him. I'm not asking for Selke 200' forward, but an incremental change will really sky-rocket his impact, which is already above that of an average player his age.

Janitor would fit.
I legit laughed out loud.
Agreed. Very common to poll people who aren't in serious consideration whom would be best choice for the role. My current job role at work, they were searching to internally fill the role. A bunch of people were asked who would be best for the role. Multiple people came back to "brian_griffin", if he were available, or someone as close to him as possible, but no one is close. Then my boss said well of course he can be made available. Deal done.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Friedman said the Sabres didn’t actually do much of a search and he thinks Pegula had a hand in the hiring as well (he mentions because he’s paying for Granato so of course he would)
Buffalo wanted a playoff experience coach. Who was out there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad