Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Been traveling, so this is new to me today.

Is it reasonable to expect much more accountability, d-zone structure, and defensive play in general from Lindy?

Words to eat later ... I think the existing roster, plus a couple of acquisitions, combined with the above produces a playoff berth in 2024/25.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The problem here is that this isn't the type of management team or ownership group that would just conduct a bunch of brief Zoom interviews. Kevin himself said that he doesn't do anything by himself, and relies heavily on a team-based approach to everything. If they did an earnest coaching search, then people would have flown in, been interviewed by a team of people (not just Adams), given a tour of the facilities and met with a bunch of the staff.

Logistically, it's not possible that any of that happened in the last 6-7 days. At the end of the day I don't care, I'm happy with Ruff and honestly I like him better than the alternatives that have been mentioned. But there's no way Kevin was burning up the phone lines frantically trying to find a replacement. Ruff was the answer and he knew it all along. He said that he talked to double digit candidates strictly from a PR / CYA standpoint.
I think he's been doing this much, much longer. Well before the season ended.

Reactions: Diaspora

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I just assume Adams has been talking to people since whenever he knew Don was getting sacked. You put out feelers so you know what will be available. I mean…jeez…we see good teams fire coaches midseason and bring in a vet coach the same day sometimes. Where was their extensive search in the zero minutes between fire and hire? When you think you’re going to make a move you call around and see what’s out there and who is interested and what the fit is. They could have made this move the day Granato was fired and still have talked to the people they wanted to talk to.

Did he know it was Lindy as week? Probably. Did he talk to other people who would be of interest to what he was looking for before and even after that? Probably.

They had Pat LaFontaine and Teds Nolans the same day.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
The problem here is that this isn't the type of management team or ownership group that would just conduct a bunch of brief Zoom interviews. Kevin himself said that he doesn't do anything by himself, and relies heavily on a team-based approach to everything. If they did an earnest coaching search, then people would have flown in, been interviewed by a team of people (not just Adams), given a tour of the facilities and met with a bunch of the staff.

Logistically, it's not possible that any of that happened in the last 6-7 days. At the end of the day I don't care, I'm happy with Ruff and honestly I like him better than the alternatives that have been mentioned. But there's no way Kevin was burning up the phone lines frantically trying to find a replacement. Ruff was the answer and he knew it all along. He said that he talked to double digit candidates strictly from a PR / CYA standpoint.
Let's face it. There's not much more you can get from an in-face interview than you can from a zoom interview (except the smell of fresh baked cookies). And I don't think he started just last week.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I think it’s fair to assume that Adams started speaking to potential candidates far before the timeline of Don getting fired and now.
This tracks with him saying earlier that he didn't decide to fire granato on the plane ride home. That implies he knew he was going to let him go for a while. It would be ridiculous if this is the case and he DIDN'T put feelers out to other potential coaches during that time.

Reactions: Jacob582

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I would have just gone with 22. Actually, I'm considering getting a RUFF 22 jersey now.

GL3x2UVXcAADLI-.jpg

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The problem is there is a group of people who just believe he is bold face lying. Which, if that's the case, means these people wouldn't have been happy no matter what happened because they are already just going to believe what they want to regardless of the information. If the question wasn't asked they'd be mad and if Adams straight said, "yea I only talked to Ruff" they also would have been mad.

The trick with spending any kind of advanced time on the internet is to learn who is and isn't acting.

The people who still think Adams didn't do a coaching search, genuinely, can be ignored, because they'll never talk to you in good faith about anything else either.

Adams has lied to the press multiple times over the years, usually when anyone mentions the Pegulas and why the team is spending so little.

The idea that people who are questioning whether this was a legitimate coaching search or just a one to cover his (or his owners) ass when they essentially had their minds made up a week ago.

Adams got the job because he was loyal to the owner. He continues to be employed after 4 straight years of missing the playoffs because he is loyal to the owner. His comments are designed to protect the owner and give legitimacy to potentially unpopular decisions by the owner.

It is not stop massive leap of logic to wonder if his 'interviews' with other candidates were done simply so they could say they did a coaching search rather than some deep dive search they did for a new coach.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'm not complaining about the timeline, just interested in knowing if this is the fastest NHL head coach hire after the regular season has ended.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Is the blonde woman next to Terry his daughter? I know he said he wanted to leave the franchise to one of his daughters when he passed away, mentioned she was a fan.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Didn't see any of the presser. Again, I am happy for you guys. I do think this is crazy enough to work. @Chainshot is there any meat and potatoes or is it just Adams speaking in platitudes while Ruff goes for his expertly crafted "I'd I can't dazzle you with brilliance, I'll baffle you with bullshit" routine? Or did Ruff pop one of those heartfelt soliloquies that makes you ready to step in front of a slapshot without pads?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Didn't see any of the presser. Again, I am happy for you guys. I do think this is crazy enough to work. @Chainshot is there any meat and potatoes or is it just Adams speaking in platitudes while Ruff goes for his expertly crafted "I'd I can't dazzle you with brilliance, I'll baffle you with bullshit" routine? Or did Ruff pop one of those heartfelt soliloquies that makes you ready to step in front of a slapshot without pads?

I thought there was some good stuff in there from Ruff. Pegula's intro was a bit of a wince but he was there and he tried. Adams said some things that I need to go back and re-listen to but I took it for the time to win is now and it is no longer all about development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad