Lindros vs. Malkin

Lindros vs. Malkin

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Lindros was incredible. Malkin is a great player without a doubt, but at his best Lindros was unstoppable. He simply owned the ice.

Moreover, when I compare players at their peak, I think of it as "who would I want more for one game at their very best?", and in that regard, I take Lindros every time. As you extend the window of time considered "peak", Malkin becomes a better player, and it's more from injuries than anything else. It wasn't as if Lindros got "figured out" after his Hart season, he just couldn't stay on the ice game in and game out for seasons on end. There is, of course, something to be said for staying healthy, but comparing peaks is not the time to do so, IMO.

Worth noting here that in terms of peak and who you'd take for one game, Malkin literally scored the most playoff points in a single playoff run by any forward not named Gretzky or Lemieux.

And he did it with Fedotenko and Talbot on his wings at ES, who few would confuse with prime Leclair and Renberg...to put it diplomatically.

Reactions: sanscosm

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
his peak was absolutely not better, in fact it's an insult to malkin to compare him to lindros

i'm tired of the disrespect malkin gets from not making the top 100 all time list to comparing him to overrated guys like lindros
You should be tired of being wrong. How is it an insult for Malkin to be compared to the most physically dominant player at their peak in NHL history? The fact that Malkin is getting any votes is a huge honor to him

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
how is it clearly Lindros at peak play?

Compare their best single season....the stat line is very similar.

adjust that Malkin was by far the best player in the world in his best year and Lindros wasn't....

Also if you bring playoff resumes into this....Malkin should be easily winning this poll if we take in account whole career

Both have a Hart. So I don't see how one is clearly above another at their peak.
Soooo, lindros gets penalized for playing in an ERA with more elite players? Similar scoring at peak and lindros did absolutely everything else much better. Defense, physical play, etc.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Man, for all this talk about how great lindros is, the stats don't really back it up. However, I get it; he was big and hit people so that makes him like 20x better than his actual stats, kinda like pronger.

I'm seeing top 5 all time? Is that serious?

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Man, for all this talk about how great lindros is, the stats don't really back it up. However, I get it; he was big and hit people so that makes him like 20x better than his actual stats, kinda like pronger.

I think you are neglecting the fact that this thread is comparing these two players' peaks, not their entire careers.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Malkin, better playmaker: Lindros, better at everything else

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Unfortuantely, shiny things like these are more important to the common fan than how good a player actually was at hockey. Being big and physical and all is nice and hard to miss, but there are many ways to be an effective player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Honest question though. How old are you? Your opinion really makes me wonder

... because anyone that has a different opinion than you has to be ignorant on the topic due to not seeing them?

I'm old enough to remember Lindros being drafted. Yes, a lot of his aura is due to him being a big guy with soft hands and the crazy hype when he entered the league. But he's definitely got the Pronger affect where people remember him being better than he was for whatever reason.

Regardless, it's toss-up to me. Both had very nice peaks and benefit from playing on strong teams at the right time.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Lindros, Fedorov, and Forsberg are all overrated on this board due to 90s nostalgia. They are all worse than each of Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Lindros, Fedorov, and Forsberg are all overrated on this board due to 90s nostalgia. They are all worse than each of Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin.

I think Forsberg and Malkin aren’t too far from each other. I think Malkin is barely ahead of Forsberg but I wouldn’t say Foppa is that overrated around here.

Reactions: KIRK

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Pronger was a hell of a lot more then just a big guy who hit people, he was an amazing player at his best and one of a few guys who could control the whole game from the back end.

I sometimes wonder if some posters even watched the players play they comment on.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Malkin gets some of the same treatment as Lindros and Forsberg. A lot of assumptions are made about their missed time. Malkin has the higher offensive ceiling than Lindros.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017

Or maybe they actually watched all these guys play and know what they are talking about. Kinda like Pronger? Now I know you do not know what you are talking about.

Reactions: jj cale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad