Recalled/Assigned: Liljegren & Brooks loaned to the Marlies

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Meh, those aren't "prospects".

Honestly only brooks, Korshkov and Bracco. To me Marchment will never be an Nhler at 25 and he still has a weak stride.
Our better prospects are in juniors or playing elsewhere (NCAA, Europe)

Brooks needs seasoning same with Korshkov. Bracco is likely the only guy who is ready.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Lilly barely played last game and didn't do much. Made a pass, had a pretty costly turnover. He's not ready, get over it.
He had a 61.11 CF% and a 61.29 xGF% in the 10 minutes he played. He played really well.

He did have the bad turnover but he followed that up with a good rush up the ice and then came back to break up the rush the other way. You want these kids to learn what they can and can't get away with and those two shifts were a lesson in that.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
He had a 61.11 CF% and a 61.29 xGF% in the 10 minutes he played. He played really well.

He did have the bad turnover but he followed that up with a good rush up the ice and then came back to break up the rush the other way. You want these kids to learn what they can and can't get away with and those two shifts were a lesson in that.

Corsi means nothing in 10 minutes of action. That's a statistic that has value over the long term.

Overall he just doesn't look NHL ready to me.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Corsi means nothing in 10 minutes of action. That's a statistic that has value over the long term.

Overall he just doesn't look NHL ready to me.

But then wouldn't you want to see if he can sustain it? possibly in a bigger role?

He has to play eventually and why not see what you have over the next few weeks so you can determine if you need to make an upgrade at the deadline or not.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
The question you have to ask is : are we trying to get in the playoffs or not ? If not then you give these guys the games they need to either adjust to the big game or fail ,heck bring up half the marlies and see who's what . If yes then we need to ice the best team every night and stop trying to salvage our pride on players we pumped the tires on who really haven't cut it .

PS . Theres a couple of Dmen and a certain goalie who fall into the latter catagory , unfortunately a lot of people have blamed guys who were true warriors for our playoff failures and cheered guys who just couldn't cut it in the playoffs .

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Lilly barely played last game and didn't do much. Made a pass, had a pretty costly turnover. He's not ready, get over it.
I like to use more than 10 minutes in 1 game to evaluate a prospects readiness.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The question you have to ask is : are we trying to get in the playoffs or not ? If not then you give these guys the games they need to either adjust to the big game or fail ,heck bring up half the marlies and see who's what . If yes then we need to ice the best team every night and stop trying to salvage our pride on players we pumped the tires on who really haven't cut it .

PS . Theres a couple of Dmen and a certain goalie who fall into the latter catagory , unfortunately a lot of people have blamed guys who were true warriors for our playoff failures and cheered guys who just couldn't cut it in the playoffs .
What the heck are you talking about? lol I would ask what players but how is this at all relevant to Brooks and Liljegren being sent down?

Reactions: stickty111

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Its relevant because the discussion turned to whether they should stay down , I guess if you don't comprehend that theres no point explaining it to you any further .

Hint : I was sort of agreeing with your post by saying your right about creating a bigger sample size but we have to be prepared to write off the season to do it .

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sandin and Lily are not NHL ready. Maybe next year one of 2 can make the jump. We need another 2 defenders. Vet guys with 500 games of NHL experience. Hopefully UFA guys we can trade for a few wingers prospects.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Can Freddie be sent down to work on his game?

God knows he needs it right now.
No.

Send him on an all expense paid trip to Bora Bora with a handful of willing participants who can take his mind off hockey and make his body completely relax a dozen times a day.

Send some green stuff with his gear to the All Star game. Enough that he forgets to go down into the Butterfly at all.

He’s been way overplayed in Toronto and needs to get the hell outta dodge.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
My view on Liljegren. is he should model his game right now after Ron Hainsey. Gap control, positioning and don't do a lot of puck carrying, engage and win battles along the wall, move pucks fast. Do that first and mix in taking more risks with puck carrying and stretch passes. He was having an outstanding shift before he turned the puck over going 1 on 3. I would give him more games post All star break to see more of him. The only d-men I feel Liljegren should be paired with is Reilly, Muzzin or Sandin. Dermott and Marincin make too many mistakes and are too inconsistent mentally to be a solid pairing for him. Liljegren needs someone to think for him right now too as he adjusts to help mask some of his mistakes. Idk if his team-mates or D pairing were shouting dump it in etc during that play but that's something a veteran might have said to Liljegren as he sensed a 20 yr old might being swimming into merky waters during that play and during a line change with no backup.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
My view on Liljegren. is he should model his game right now after Ron Hainsey. Gap control, positioning and don't do a lot of puck carrying, engage and win battles along the wall, move pucks fast. Do that first and mix in taking more risks with puck carrying and stretch passes. He was having an outstanding shift before he turned the puck over going 1 on 3. I would give him more games post All star break to see more of him. The only d-men I feel Liljegren should be paired with is Reilly, Muzzin or Sandin. Dermott and Marincin make too many mistakes and are too inconsistent mentally to be a solid pairing for him. Liljegren needs someone to think for him right now too as he adjusts to help mask some of his mistakes. Idk if his team-mates or D pairing were shouting dump it in etc during that play but that's something a veteran might have said to Liljegren as he sensed a 20 yr old might being swimming into merky waters during that play and during a line change with no backup.
It was his NHL debut, and with only 10 minutes of ice time i imagine he was a little to eager to show something and it backfired. Other then that, he had a solid uneventful game.

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
Agreed but to be fair, the turnover wasn’t so bad. He should have just dumped it in at the end of a long shift (and even tried to get off). It looks worse because it ended in a goal against, but he had 4 teammates behind him who didn’t do him or freddy any favours.

I thought he did a great job with all those things you mentioned, especially getting the pucks to forwards with quick passes. His positioning and passing left me feeling more confident than Ceci or even Barrie at times. I think he’ll be a very positive addition to the team once he has a chance to adjust and gain confidence.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Agreed but to be fair, the turnover wasn’t so bad. He should have just dumped it in at the end of a long shift (and even tried to get off). It looks worse because it ended in a goal against, but he had 4 teammates behind him who didn’t do him or freddy any favours.

I thought he did a great job with all those things you mentioned, especially getting the pucks to forwards with quick passes. His positioning and passing left me feeling more confident than Ceci or even Barrie at times. I think he’ll be a very positive addition to the team once he has a chance to adjust and gain confidence.

Pretty much this. That play that resulted in the 5th goal started at the Chicago goal line. The defensive errors that happened from there are from Marincin and to a lesser extent Marner (ie. the guys who went -4 on the night) both experiencing breakdowns in coverage. Trying to pin that play on Liljegren is quite the reach.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Liljegren is quite clearly NHL ready and did well in his NHL debut. I expect him to get a couple weeks with the Marlies here and then be back up with the Leafs.

Not gonna happen

Muzz will be back soon. Lilly will be good next year I hope.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Once Muzzin is back even if there is an injury on the right side they will move over one of Dermott, Marincin or Sandin to the right side.
So you would move a) move Dermott or Sandin, two guys with virtually no time on the right or b) Marincin, who is barely a 7th D, left or right, to their wrong side, rather than putting a young, stud RD on the third pair, where he can he can be sheltered until he's ready to play more tough minutes? This fanbase...:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00