Likely Errors in Judgment / Things I'll Stand By (For Now)

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don’t wanna sound like I’m going easy on Carlsson because he’s the new toy but I feel like it’s been his fault the least. I thought Zegras was easily the worst of the 3. I think Killorn with Carlsson and Terry is the way to go even if it isn’t perfect.
I think Carlsson is probably least at fault, but I think he’s too light for the job at this point in his physical maturity. He can’t take a lot of contact at this point. He needs someone to get in and forecheck, then be open for return passes/shots. That’s absolutely not Zegras. It’s not the best use of Terry either, but he will give it a go. Killorn would seem to be perfect for the role, and he was good with them in preseason, but he’s not been good since coming back from the injury, at least not reliably so.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I don’t wanna sound like I’m going easy on Carlsson because he’s the new toy but I feel like it’s been his fault the least. I thought Zegras was the worst of the 3. I think Killorn with Carlsson and Terry is the way to go even if it isn’t perfect.
I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s been his fault the least, he’s had his fair share of turnovers, and as DVM said he’s been dishing it off a bit early, and if he does that he needs to find himself more open. However, it’s more excusable for Carlsson because he’s an 18 year old trying to learn the speed of the North American game at the highest level there is. Terry doesn’t get that excuse.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think Carlsson is probably least at fault, but I think he’s too light for the job at this point in his physical maturity. He can’t take a lot of contact at this point. He needs someone to get in and forecheck, then be open for return passes/shots. That’s absolutely not Zegras. It’s not the best use of Terry either, but he will give it a go. Killorn would seem to be perfect for the role, and he was good with them in preseason, but he’s not been good since coming back from the injury, at least not reliably so.

This is why I wanted Carlsson either in the SHL or AHL, for the physical aspect and learning to playing 1C for a whole season. The offensive talent is undeniable, but he's still a few years away physically. We're more exciting to watch with Carlsson in the lineup, even when he or his line doesn't score. That's how devoid of top talent we are.

It's a development season and see the appeal of keeping Carlsson with the NHL club to shorten the rebuild even though Carlsson is a part-time player. The process is about the future happening sooner.

As for Carlsson passing it early once into the OZone, that's Carlsson thinking he's still playing the Euro game than NA ice game. I like that style because it means players have to move around and can cause more confusion b/c hanging onto the puck make a player's movement too predictable and easier to poach. I don't think Carlsson does a lot of dump-n-chase.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This is why I wanted Carlsson either in the SHL or AHL, for the physical aspect and learning to playing 1C for a whole season. The offensive talent is undeniable, but he's still a few years away physically. We're more exciting to watch with Carlsson in the lineup, even when he or his line doesn't score. That's how devoid of top talent we are.

It's a development season and see the appeal of keeping Carlsson with the NHL club to shorten the rebuild even though Carlsson is a part-time player. The process is about the future happening sooner.

As for Carlsson passing it early once into the OZone, that's Carlsson thinking he's still playing the Euro game than NA ice game. I like that style because it means players have to move around and can cause more confusion b/c hanging onto the puck make a player's movement too predictable and easier to poach. I don't think Carlsson does a lot of dump-n-chase.
There is zero reason for Carlsson to not be in the NHL. Absurd

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
So the OP's premise was that Terry's play was driving him crazy, ie he wasn't playing well. The rejoinder was that he was "contributing" and people responded to that with "yeah, sort of." And now the goalposts have shifted to "he's not the worst guy on his line," which...fine. Debatable, he's had 3 different centers and looks the same, but fine. He's certainly not the worst point-producer on his line. Point still stands though, he's been bad and he's a zero more often than not.

Zegras IMO has been terrible too, for whatever that's worth. I'm glad his fancystats have picked up so that people who hate fun have a reason to praise him but his actual effectiveness on the ice is close to nil, he doesn't accomplish anything. The line isn't working.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
This is a weird thread.
Sorry guys, my whole purpose of the thread was, as the subject stated, to identify where I think my thoughts were (likely) incorrect, and other ideas that may or may not be popular opinion but I'm standing by them. I was looking for discussion, and to see if anyone else wanted to contribute their own versions, like @TheGoodShepard1 just did a bit above.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Sorry guys, my whole purpose of the thread was, as the subject stated, to identify where I think my thoughts were (likely) incorrect, and other ideas that may or may not be popular opinion but I'm standing by them. I was looking for discussion, and to see if anyone else wanted to contribute their own versions, like @TheGoodShepard1 just did a bit above.
Sorry, wasn’t commenting on your post as much as where the thread went afterwards. Was a good OP.

Reactions: branmuffin17

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
This is a weird thread. Terry is scoreless in 9/16 games. He will hang onto the puck too much trying to find the perfect pass, and he’s uncharacteristically fumbling the puck, and he’s had some telegraphed and/or weak passes that failed, but he’s also set up a number of players repeatedly for both goals and whiffs. What about his linemates?

Killorn - scoreless in 4 of 6
Carlsson - scoreless in 6 of 10
Zegras - scoreless in 10 of 12

Terry isn’t killing the line all by himself.

Zegras doesn’t go to the dangerous places enough to accept passes, and would fall out of a boat and miss water. Plenty of turnovers and failed passes.

Carlsson makes some great-to-amazing moves and passes, but likes to dump the puck to a linemate early, and isn’t great at going where he needs to in order to get the return pass to make things work. He’s also been super guilty of in multiple games trying to go through 2-3-4 guys and just getting knocked on his ass. Plenty of turnovers and failed passes.

Killorn has looked slow and out of shape in most of the games. Play dies on his stick too.

The top line is a mess as a group. I’m undecided how much of it is actually play styles not working together vs not enough proactive together vs Zegras missing camp vs Carlsson just being a rookie who needs 2nd pairing matchups to shine. Wanting to bench/demote to the 3rd line the guy who shows up more than whoever he’s been with seems to be looking for scapegoats rather than solutions.

I think it's strange to be watching a team that is performing better than last year but all of our best players seem to be performing worse. Like wtf is going on.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think it's strange to be watching a team that is performing better than last year but all of our best players seem to be performing worse. Like wtf is going on.
A functionally constructed defensive corps is a wonder to see.

Also McTavish is much better than I was led to believe he would be. This is not just a high end 2C.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
There is zero reason for Carlsson to not be in the NHL. Absurd

The only reason to assert Carlsson shouldn't be in the NHL is to try (unconvincingly) to justify a previously bad take. Some people can't admit they're wrong.

The ironic thing is there is a player who might be served by being sent down to the AHL (LaCombe). But for the same reason (not admitting a bad take), some posters will never acknowledge that.

Carlsson has more than held his own and doesn't look outclassed physically or otherwise. As he does grow into his body, he should become even more of a force.

Reactions: Deuce22

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Amazing what some defense with goaltenders playing well can cover up. Your statement feels true for the majority of our forwards

I actually believe our netminders did well last year with the defense we were given. Our PK is lightyears ahead compared to last season, although we're the most penalized group. And because we're the most penalized group, we accrue the most PK (or TSH) SA's as well, which skews our total SA.

• According to Natural Stat Trick:
    • ES SA 2022-23: 32nd (2537 SA, or 30.9 SA per game)
    • ES SA 2023-24: 18th (383 SA, or 22.5 SA per game)

• According to Natural Stat Trick:
    • PK SA 2022-23: 31st (481 SA, or 5.87 SA per game)
    • PK SA 2023-24: 31st (133 SA, or 7.82 SA per game)

• According to Hockey-Reference:
    • PK Eff 2022-23: 31st (72.14%)
    • PK Eff 2023-24: 13th (81.58%)

• Stat muse
    • Blocked Shots, 2022-23: 1,201 blocks (9th worst)
      • Blocked Shots, Team (22-23, 82 games).png

• Blocked Shots, 2023-24: 290 blocks (8th best)
      • Blocked Shots, Team (23-24, 17 games).png

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad