Likelihood Sens sign both Duchene and Stone

Will the Sens be able to retain Stone and Duchene?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
It's simple:

If Melnyk still owns the SENS on July 1, 2018 = both gone
If Melnyk doesn't own the SENS on or before July 1, 2018 = both sign

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I disagree, having just Mark Stone lets say and our next best forward being Ryan or Pageau barring one of the young kids coming on this year still makes us an awful team that will all but surely be bottom 5 next season when we have our pick. We've got to spend on someone so may as well be a guy like that who seems to be not only a great player but a positive influence on the team.

Oilers had McDavid and a better forward group, defense group, and goalie I'd say and still finished bottom 10 last year. With or without Stone and Duchene this team is a long way away now that Karlsson and Hoffman are gone without anything close to proper replacements.

But you're forgetting one key problem.

This isn't 2009 where you can only slide down 1 spot. A bottom 5 team can theoretically pick 8th. That's one heck of a big difference when looking at potential franchise level players in the draft. It is a lot harder now to become the next Pittsburgh/Chicago.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
It's simple:

If Melnyk still owns the SENS on July 1, 2018 = both gone
If Melnyk doesn't own the SENS on or before July 1, 2018 = both sign

Think you need to back the dates up to the TDL. If, he's still the owner, they are gone in a trade.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Players very rarely deal with Melnyk or Dorion directly. Even if they despise one or both of them, would that be enough to turn down a fair deal, leave your teammates who are like brothers, uproot your family, etc.? I think probably not. If the team offers a fair deal, I think either player stays. However, if there's more dressing room stuff or if the offer is perceived as lowballing, they might walk as a matter of pride.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Players very rarely deal with Melnyk or Dorion directly. Even if they despise one or both of them, would that be enough to turn down a fair deal, leave your teammates who are like brothers, uproot your family, etc.? I think probably not. If the team offers a fair deal, I think either player stays. However, if there's more dressing room stuff or if the offer is perceived as lowballing, they might walk as a matter of pride.
Melnyk doesn't offer fair deals. Fair deals for players of this calibre includes NMC's and lockout proof signing bonuses.

How hard is it for you to understand?

Do you think the players don't despise Eugene and Pierre? You might want to check out the reaction to the Smith waiver fiasco...

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
One will go when they’re inevitably low balled.

Personally, I think would be good for them both to stay so they can hopefully “guide” the rebuild but I wouldn’t be surprised if they wanted to win more than once a month :laugh:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
As a habs fan I'd even feel bad if you lost both. You can't force them to sign but I would hope for your sake if they aren't going to sign they accept a trade so you can fasttrack a retool.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I think Stone is far more likely to stay. Duchene didn't want to be part of a rebuild in Colorado so why would he want to be in one here? He's said the right things so far but I don't know if that means much in the long run.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

Look up the turris situation and you will realize that you are wrong

That's not counting the karlsson situation etc etc

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We could still keep them, but we'd have to overpay to compensate for no bonuses.

If Stone or Duchene are willing to sign for 8x8 with lockout bonuses, we'd need to sign them to an 8x8.875M per contract in order to compensate them for the roughly 7M they'd lose out on the lifetime of the contract through not having lockout protection.
So we either pay bonuses or overpay on yearly value.

Can we really see this organization doing that? I sure hope so, but I really doubt we do either.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Could be just speculation that with all his cap space, he will be going after some of the available big guns and that is just the list of anticipated UFA's.

We know they're interested in Karlsson. Stone and Duchene would be a given since they would instantly be their best players at C and RW.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If they enjoy the season as much as the last few games, then both will sign. Stone wants to be part of something, and this young team looks to be the perfect team for him to lead. Duchene will sign if Stone signs for the same reasons, but with the added stability of Stone being here.

If we play like we have been playing then the games will be entertaining win or lose, and if the money is there to sign fair deals, then a deal will get done for both.

I don't think either want to leave, and I thing PD is waiting to see how the team comes together before committing huge dollars long term over a full blown trade and rebuild. It makes sense after the debacle that was last year. Our team was so much better than the standings showed, the season died in the locker room.

Reactions: SensFactor

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I think we the addition of Tkatchuk the Sens have at least 3 top six players for the future in Stone, Duchene, Tkatchuk. They need to add some defensemen and attract another top six player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad