Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I think this will be one of best games of the year, and it releases in only 3 weeks! Final previews from websites are going up today and they have some exciting information. I'll put some of what I saw in spoil tags later in case people don't want that "minigame" spoiled. It's the only thing I saw then I thought "nope, not looking at anymore".

Has anyone else gotten to play the two demos that unlock after beating The Man Who Erased His Name? I thought the wrinkles to the fighting were great and the new characters seem cool. Using Kiryu in the JRPG fighting was a bit jarring, as is his English VO. Like a Dragon was my first proper playtime with the series (I played either 1 or 2 when it came out and thought the fighting was rubbish so I didn't pursue the rest of the series until the JRPG flip), and I used the English voices and that everyone did a good job, especially Kasuga. After beating that game twice I decided to try the earlier games in the series (and Judgment, both games are fantastic), knowing that the remaster versions helped smooth out the rough edges the earlier games had. And, all of those games have Japanese voices only, so now I'm really used to hearing that...so I have a bit of a dilemma when IW comes out because I either have to get used to Kiryu' English or listen to the returning LaD characters in Japanese. I realize this is the definition of "first world problems".

Anyway, I played through most of the series (not 5, though) in about four months and that made the ending to TMWEHN absolutely crushing.

Anyway, spoiler below for IW minigame. Feel free to use this thread to talk about the series in general!

apparently the "animal crossing" minigame Island will have pirates that attack but it doesn't use the RPG fighting from the game but uses the brawler fighting from the other games!

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
looks good. the first game to take place outside Japan (Hawaii!)
The place that most Japanese visit if they ever leave their country on vacation.

It will be fun to have a more tropical setting. It only happened in Yakuza 3 with Okinawa being a location.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I've never played a Yakuza game for more than a few hours and even I was appalled that they cast Yong Yea as Kiryu lol

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not usually one of those types that claim superiority for stuff like subs or dub (especially since 95% of the media I consume isn't really affected by that particular thing) but the original Japanese voiceovers are the way to go for Yakuza.

The guy who did NA Kiyru wasn't bad at all before Yea but there was just something with Takaya Kuroda's version. Could be the combination of him being the guy even in the North American releases from Kiwami 1-Yakuza 6. Definitely in the pantheon of iconic voices in games.

All that being said, Yong Yea sucks ass.

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
I'm not usually one of those types that claim superiority for stuff like subs or dub (especially since 95% of the media I consume isn't really affected by that particular thing) but the original Japanese voiceovers are the way to go for Yakuza.

The guy who did NA Kiyru wasn't bad at all before Yea but there was just something with Takaya Kuroda's version. Could be the combination of him being the guy even in the North American releases from Kiwami 1-Yakuza 6. Definitely in the pantheon of iconic voices in games.

All that being said, Yong Yea sucks ass.

I can't deal with dub and sub being in different languages, this is something I even struggle with when it's a german/english combination, two languages I speak quite well. I also thought that the english dub of the first like a dragon was quite good.
Anyway, looking very much forward to this, Like a dragon was one of the nicest suprises I had with a video game and I enjoyed it very much.
I actually preordered the ultimate version just because I want to support the developers :D

Reactions: Jovavic

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Excited for this game. Loved the last one.

Just fun nonsense.

Don't know when I'll find time to play it but looking forward to when I do.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Ichiban+JRPG+Hawaii=low expectations. Like a Dragon 7 was just good enough to play through once, but definitely not the reboot that the series needed. Expecting more of that same from this one.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Ichiban+JRPG+Hawaii=low expectations. Like a Dragon 7 was just good enough to play through once, but definitely not the reboot that the series needed. Expecting more of that same from this one.
Obviously, everyone has their own opinions.... but I am 100% on the other side of this than you. LAD 7 was easily my 2020 GOTY and, again just my opinion, exactly the type of reboot/refresh the series needed. I am beyond pumped for Infinite Wealth.

Reactions: Tw1ster

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Obviously, everyone has their own opinions.... but I am 100% on the other side of this than you. LAD 7 was easily my 2020 GOTY and, again just my opinion, exactly the type of reboot/refresh the series needed. I am beyond pumped for Infinite Wealth.
Perhaps the most general problem with the direction of the series is that the newest games try to appeal to a much broader international audience of gamers and markets (and sensibilities) whereas in the past there was a certain relatively narrow focus group that the games were designed for and anything beyond that was just an afterthought at best. When in doubt the series nowadays just invariably plays it safe and goes for goof instead of edge, the whole Ichiban character was constructed that way too. In the JRPG genre there are other major and pre-existing titles like Persona that just do it all better.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Job pool seems a bit more varied than the first game

1705685958720.png

Some classic JRPGs staples mixed in with some really goofy shit. Quarterback is apparently actually linebacker and i have to ask the question; Does the linebacker job come with the ability to murder people in cold blood and then be lauded as a model citizen? Shoutout Ray Lewis.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
For those that are wanting to play New Game + are going to need to by the deluxe or better edition, which is a really shitty move by Sega to paywall this mode.
Or just wait for it to go on sale as a standalone purchase. Which given Sega's history with how they do bonus/deluxe content is essentially guaranteed.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Or just give the mode to their customers for free like literally every other publisher
I mean yes i agree...but Sega's been doing this type of shit with Yakuza for years now.

Jobs, skins, weapons, etc. All have been locked behind DLC.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Reviews should be out soon, I'm expecting 8s.

After much thought I decided to go with the English voices and just suffer through Kiryu, maybe he'll grow on me.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Stoked to see this reviewing well. I platinumed Like a Dragon 7 last year and will definitely be playing this once I work my way through my back log

Sep 19, 2008
That's dumb to paywall new game +

That said after I beat Judgement, Lost Judgement, etc I didn't end up playing the game over. Once I beat it I move on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad