Recalled/Assigned: Lightning recall Cory Conacher from Syracuse

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Conacher looked awful in that game - let's call it what it is. He's weak on the puck, doesn't handle it well, and can't play well at speed. His tap in goal that was created by Killorn was not enough to make him an NHLer.

Brown has faults. He has possibly the worst shot on the team and he handles the puck like a grenade at times, but he's a superb forechecker, can win a board battle, can play the PK, and has the second best hair on the team after Hedman. JT Brown is an NHL player (although a replaceable one) - Conacher is living off of good will he created five years ago at this point.

Except JT Brown should be fighting for a spot with Callahan not Conacher, I'm going to refer to one of your favorite points "scoreboard", Conacher has 5 points in 12 games since his resigning, most of it playing RW to Johnson. Is he lousy in other areas of the game? Sure but he's also undienably productive given his random call-ups, why can't Killorn generate tap-ins for Brown if it's so easy? Brown has what 1 point between him Killorn and Johnson despite half a dozen games on that line?

Conachers value in getting Killorn and Johnson on the scoresheet outweighs Brown's forechecking (which he could do on the 4th line anyways), why are we even comparing them anyways? Brown has looked his best playing with Kunitz/Paquette and rotating with Callahan. Conacher should be an extra forward who can sub into 3RW every now and then.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Except JT Brown should be fighting for a spot with Callahan not Conacher, I'm going to refer to one of your favorite points "scoreboard", Conacher has 5 points in 12 games since his resigning, most of it playing RW to Johnson. Is he lousy in other areas of the game? Sure but he's also undienably productive given his random call-ups, why can't Killorn generate tap-ins for Brown if it's so easy? Brown has what 1 point between him Killorn and Johnson despite half a dozen games on that line?

Conachers value in getting Killorn and Johnson on the scoresheet outweighs Brown's forechecking (which he could do on the 4th line anyways), why are we even comparing them anyways? Brown has looked his best playing with Kunitz/Paquette and rotating with Callahan. Conacher should be an extra forward who can sub into 3RW every now and then.
I agree that Brown is a fourth-liner and should be played there. If we're playing him on the third line our third line is going to suck. I frame it more as the option of Conacher as 3RW or the current 11/7 line up, and I prefer the 11/7.

The fact is, 3RW is a hole right now that should be addressed via trade. Either a second liner to slide Gourde down, or a third liner who can produce. Honestly - this is where letting Marchasseult go (which I will eat crow on) kinda hurts.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I agree that Brown is a fourth-liner and should be played there. If we're playing him on the third line our third line is going to suck. I frame it more as the option of Conacher as 3RW or the current 11/7 line up, and I prefer the 11/7.

The fact is, 3RW is a hole right now that should be addressed via trade. Either a second liner to slide Gourde down, or a third liner who can produce. Honestly - this is where letting Marchasseult go (which I will eat crow on) kinda hurts.

Speaking of Marchasseult, he had 10 points in 14 games last I checked...... today he has 21 in 19..... "career AHLer" I believe you called it ;)

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Conacher looked awful in that game - let's call it what it is. He's weak on the puck, doesn't handle it well, and can't play well at speed. His tap in goal that was created by Killorn was not enough to make him an NHLer.

Brown has faults. He has possibly the worst shot on the team and he handles the puck like a grenade at times, but he's a superb forechecker, can win a board battle, can play the PK, and has the second best hair on the team after Hedman. JT Brown is an NHL player (although a replaceable one) - Conacher is living off of good will he created five years ago at this point.
Everyone played awful that game. Conacher can pass, shoot and skate without having to think about it, which is currently the benchmark. I don't think he's our solution at 3RW, but he (and other Syracuse guys who won't get a legit chance) make more sense than Brown.

As far as I can tell, JT Brown is an NHL player because it's been decided by the organization that he will be an NHL player no matter what. He's no more an NHL-calibre player than Conacher, or the other top forwards in Syracuse. He just isn't. He forechecks hard, but isn't even close to superb in the way that Gourde, Point or Palat are (or even Peca in the preseason). He wins board battles, but then loses the puck. Coop's tried to make him a PKer, but he wasn't any better than any of our other forwards. The point here is we've spent a lot of time trying to develop him at the expense of other guys in our pipeline. We've lost guys because of it (which I see you've acknowledged).

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Gourde, JAM and Peca have been the 3 most impressive call-ups in the past couple of years, it's not just about the scoresheet, the most noticeable thing about all 3 is the energy level of the ability to create space and oppertunities for the the roster guys, that's the biggest thing I noticed about them.

Regardless of Peca's production in the AHL right now(which has picked up significantly of late), I still think he should be our 4C given his abilities as opposed to Dumont and the inconsistently healthy Paquette.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Gourde, JAM and Peca have been the 3 most impressive call-ups in the past couple of years, it's not just about the scoresheet, the most noticeable thing about all 3 is the energy level of the ability to create space and oppertunities for the the roster guys, that's the biggest thing I noticed about them.

Regardless of Peca's production in the AHL right now(which has picked up significantly of late), I still think he should be our 4C given his abilities as opposed to Dumont and the inconsistently healthy Paquette.
Peca should have made the team to start the season. I'd imagine his slow start was a result of him losing faith in the organization's process, which is perfectly understandable given the preseason he had. He looked like a clone of Gourde or Point on the forecheck, and chipped in on the score sheet, too. We joke about Coop not liking guys, but with Peca I honestly believe there's something to it. Got the same feeling with Marchessault, FWIW.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Peca should have made the team to start the season. I'd imagine his slow start was a result of him losing faith in the organization's process, which is perfectly understandable given the preseason he had. He looked like a clone of Gourde or Point on the forecheck, and chipped in on the score sheet, too. We joke about Coop not liking guys, but with Peca I honestly believe there's something to it. Got the same feeling with Marchessault, FWIW.

I don't think they have anything against him, it's not a conspiracy. It's just contract politics.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I don't think they have anything against him, it's not a conspiracy. It's just contract politics.
Yeah - he's waivers exempt. That's all there is to it. We would have had to expose Dumont so we chose him over Peca. (Then of course we expose Dumont and he gets picked up).

When Paquette is healthy he's the perfect fourth liner. I know he gets shit for being hurt all of the time, but man when he's healthy he's a force out there. Reminds me of a poor man's Clutterbuck.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Contract politics in what sense? Not sure I follow.

Edit: Never mind, the waivers thing, I'm assuming.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
How does Peca's waiver situation work, and why does it impact whether or not we can play him in Tampa?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
How does Peca's waiver situation work, and why does it impact whether or not we can play him in Tampa?
We can only have 23 players on the roster at any given time - 21 skaters and 2 forwards. We ran with 8 D to start the season (due to Koekkoek's contract status) where most teams run 7D, so that only left us space for 13 forwards. Obviously we're not going to waive Stamkos, Kucherov, Namestnikov, Johnson, Palat, Killorn, Callahan, Kunitz, Point. So that leaves 4 forward spots to fight for. Gourde earned his spot. That leaves us 3. Paquette is also a quality fourth liner, so we're down to two spots.

For those two spots, we had Dumont, Brown, Peca, Erne. Brown and Dumont were eligible for waivers, while Erne and Peca would not have to go through waivers to play in the AHL. So Dumont and Brown had the inside track. You can question whether Peca outplayed Dumont enough to earn a spot over him, but at the end of the day no team likes losing an asset for nothing. So we keep Dumont and Brown and put Peca and Erne in the minors.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
We can only have 23 players on the roster at any given time - 21 skaters and 2 forwards. We ran with 8 D to start the season (due to Koekkoek's contract status) where most teams run 7D, so that only left us space for 13 forwards. Obviously we're not going to waive Stamkos, Kucherov, Namestnikov, Johnson, Palat, Killorn, Callahan, Kunitz, Point. So that leaves 4 forward spots to fight for. Gourde earned his spot. That leaves us 3. Paquette is also a quality fourth liner, so we're down to two spots.

For those two spots, we had Dumont, Brown, Peca, Erne. Brown and Dumont were eligible for waivers, while Erne and Peca would not have to go through waivers to play in the AHL. So Dumont and Brown had the inside track. You can question whether Peca outplayed Dumont enough to earn a spot over him, but at the end of the day no team likes losing an asset for nothing. So we keep Dumont and Brown and put Peca and Erne in the minors.
Makes a little more sense, I guess. But does that mean we have one more slot open now, with Dumont gone? And is that just for the roster to start the season? Or are Peca and Erne just kinda SOL this year?

Edit: 23 at any given time. Disregard the second question.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Makes a little more sense, I guess. But does that mean we have one more slot open now, with Dumont gone? And is that just for the roster to start the season? Or are Peca and Erne just kinda SOL this year?
Didn't we claim someone from Ott? If so that position is taken.

Although I don't think the Ottawa pickup is long for this league (or has he been sent down yet?). We were last in waiver order and got the claim in, so if we send him through again he would likely clear.

The issue with Peca (Erne I think has played himself out of a call-up and is no longer in the cards) is that we are set at C right now with Paquette healthy, and the open spot is really at RW. If we're developing Peca as a C, calling him up to ride the bench doesn't make much sense. Dumont was finished developing - him riding pine doesn't hurt him much. I think Peca gets a call if (when) Paquette goes down or we have an issue with one of our top 9 Cs, but until then I think he stays where he can play 20 minutes every night.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015

Although I don't think the Ottawa pickup is long for this league (or has he been sent down yet?). We were last in waiver order and got the claim in, so if we send him through again he would likely clear.

The issue with Peca (Erne I think has played himself out of a call-up and is no longer in the cards) is that we are set at C right now with Paquette healthy, and the open spot is really at RW. If we're developing Peca as a C, calling him up to ride the bench doesn't make much sense. Dumont was finished developing - him riding pine doesn't hurt him much. I think Peca gets a call if (when) Paquette goes down or we have an issue with one of our top 9 Cs, but until then I think he stays where he can play 20 minutes every night.
We did claim someone from Ottawa, completely forgot about that. I guess I can see the logic, but I don't think I'll ever be entirely sold on the keep-guys-down-until-their-slot-opens-up philosophy. Leaves the door wide open for complacency among our borderline NHL guys. It is what it is, I guess.

Think we're done with Erne for now? Too bad. Thought he looked serviceable last year, and a bit better in the preseason. Been keeping loose tabs on Volkov and Joseph, as well, based purely on the preseason. Completely disregarding any contract stuff, I'd love to give those two stints, as I think Volkov's skill and size (and Russian-ness) would compliment Kuch and Names' games, and allow us to put Stammer on another line to force other teams to pick their poison; and Point sort of leads me to believe that the Canadian Junior Team guys are so finely-tuned in terms of their approach that Joseph would find whatever gear allowed him to stay in Tampa (Cirelli, too, but he looked even more raw than Joseph, and he's a C I think?).

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Didominico would be reclaimed by Ottawa if he doesn’t stay with the big club in the next 2 weeks. If he is not with the big club then I have no idea why they even picked him up.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Didominico would be reclaimed by Ottawa if he doesn’t stay with the big club in the next 2 weeks. If he is not with the big club then I have no idea why they even picked him up.
I don't know Ottawa's contract situation, but my instinct is he was sent down due to the roster limit/cap, so I'm not sure they'd reclaim him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Can David Perron play either wing? Because he feels like a pretty nice fit with the current make up of our team.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
That's not how contracts work. Two-way just means he gets paid differently in the AHL and NHL - it has nothing to do with waivers status.
I am well aware how two way and one way contracts work. When you pick a guy up off of waivers he must stay with the NHL team and can’t be sent down unless he is put on waivers again. In my opinion Ottawa would reclaim he because they can send him down and because he has a two way they don’t have to pay him much. If he was on a one way they may not claim him because they wouldn’t want to pay NHL money to a guy in the minors, they are a budget team.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I am well aware how two way and one way contracts work. When you pick a guy up off of waivers he must stay with the NHL team and can’t be sent down unless he is put on waivers again. In my opinion Ottawa would reclaim he because they can send him down and because he has a two way they don’t have to pay him much. If he was on a one way they may not claim him because they wouldn’t want to pay NHL money to a guy in the minors, they are a budget team.
If they claim him they have to have roster space for him - and if they don't they'd have to send him through waivers again (where guess what - we'd put a claim in and start the process over).

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
If they claim him they have to have roster space for him - and if they don't they'd have to send him through waivers again (where guess what - we'd put a claim in and start the process over).
This is not correct if Ottawa reclaims him they are now able to send him to the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad