Post-Game Talk: Lightning at Rangers - October 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Teams have been trying this though. Detroit tried it, Boston tried it, Tampa tried it last night. All of them failed. I mean they aren't particularly good teams, but this strategy was much more successful against the Rangers last year against any team that tried it. This Rangers team enter the zone with a lot more support than last year and it's really helping establish forechecks. If you notice, the Rangers D do a lot less cross-zone passing than last year. Somebody recognized this defense has no talent, because the forwards back pressure like crazy and are responsible for at least 70% of the defensive puck battles won. How often do you see d-men make out-of-zone passes now? Almost never, sometimes McDonagh will try it but that's fine. Which is the right move.
Fair enough. However, I will continue to worry until I see this pay off against the better teams Because I recall banging my head at watching the neutral zone be taken away last year and any offense fizzling.
It doesn't help that Holden and Staal take naps in the crease every other shift. Seriously, they are so bad in front of their own nets. Klein isn't much better either.
Whatever the case, that needs to change as well. Teams that are much better than the Red Wings and 'Canes will take advantage of that.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i have zero...ZERO problem with McDonagh playing 22....23....25...28...30 minutes a night.

None.

The guy is a horse. Hes our best defenseman by a HUGE margin.

this isnt a case where the next level player is reasonably close to his level.

McDonagh is wwwooorrlllddsss better than all our other defenseman. play the man.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
24+ is not too much for a defenseman of his calibre. Duncan Keith averaged 25:33 during the 2014-15 regular season, and they upped his time to 31 minutes during the playoffs. Conn Smythe trophy. He was also 5 years older than McDonagh is now. It's October. AV using McDonagh like a #1 defenseman is a very good sign. Managing his defenders ice-time much better this year. Last year AV had them all playing within 4 minutes of each other, which is madness.

Last edited:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
i have zero...ZERO problem with McDonagh playing 22....23....25...28...30 minutes a night.

None.

The guy is a horse. Hes our best defenseman by a HUGE margin.

this isnt a case where the next level player is reasonably close to his level.

McDonagh is wwwooorrlllddsss better than all our other defenseman. play the man.

Absolutely. Until we get Shatt or Trouba we will have to do this

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
1. Really was. People need to stop being so harsh on this kid. Hes playing on his OFF WING for crying out loud. Cant be easy or everyone would be doing it. Apparently the dropoff is less than if "per se" that McD or Staal would move to the right side.

Anyone see that nice offensive move, I think in the 1st period? Wow. Made that nice defensive play, but i think was lucky for it to go right to Nasher on that breakaway goal.

My answer to #2.........no, i think Kleiner is, when hes 100%.

Aha, I meant NOW.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
also...i dont think it can be stated strongly enough how well Ryan McDonagh has played this season...hes just been...so good...like really really really good.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I'll be honest, the Rangers success is based completely on there speed. I was at the game last night and the Rangers had 5 or so near breakaways based on just blowing by Tampa's defense. This team is also so well coached while watching live. The team has designed plays reliant solely on timing. If the timing of the set breakout's fails, the team falls apart. But, the design of the plays is so smart. Pay close attention next time during the PP. When starting a breakout from there own zone, the Rangers drop two players far behind the puck. A diagonal pass to a wing positioned near the center ice red-line is made or the player carries the puck up the ice. Those two players that drop back time there speed burst to get the puck right outside the attacking blue line and are at full speed at that time and it breaks down the opposition defense without much added effort. Rangers( and Tampa mind you) both used this same play multiple times last night and it was orchestrated nearly perfectly every time.

You all may not like AV and his in game adjustments but you can't fault the guy's play design and putting players in position to succeed!

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Fair enough. However, I will continue to worry until I see this pay off against the better teams Because I recall banging my head at watching the neutral zone be taken away last year and any offense fizzling.

I don't disagree but I find this forward group to be a lot more dynamic than years past. Not that much more talented, but they can score different ways. Similar to the forwards in our SCF year, dare I say.

Whatever the case, that needs to change as well. Teams that are much better than the Red Wings and 'Canes will take advantage of that.

I suppose. Still have to fix the D, like, now.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
also...i dont think it can be stated strongly enough how well Ryan McDonagh has played this season...hes just been...so good...like really really really good.

He really looks practically as good as he did in 2013-2014. 2014-2015 he looked bad for a lot of the season, but the next year he did look a lot better. This year? He seems to have returned to his 2013-2014 form.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I like the blue-line-to-blue-line alley oop passes they've been doing with some frequency. I've loved that play since The Mighty Ducks 2.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think McDonagh's success is about the Rangers getting back to a speed game too. When he's using his instincts more, he's a better player. When the Rangers play with speed, McDonagh has to rely more on his instincts.

The reason the team looks so different than last year is because they have speed and depth again. The reason they look so different than they did in the President's Trophy season is because they generally are having to actually put in the work to score. In 2014-15, they seemed to be able to score almost at will on the rush. While that's all well and good, it meant there was never a structure to build on in a game where they took the lead. They could protect that lead successfully, but always on their heels. When you're already putting in the work to get zone time and sustain a forecheck, it's easier to keep that going even when you're ahead.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Funny +,-, stats useless when someone else,when Klein or mcdough it's good stat wow talk about tunnel vision

No. It's not a really telling stat regardless of who you use it for. Shouldn't be a stat to use when you're pointing out how good/bad someone is.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I hate negativity more than most people but I also have noticed activity is down on at least 3 major sports forums. Its not just HF.

It's most definitely not just an HF Boards issue. Unbridled crtiscism has become a plague for online forums.

Moreover, if it weren't for the tight mod on this site, this forum would have dissented into another digital cesspool as most sports forums are.

Furthermore, although I've tamed it a bit, the sarcastic shtick I use is generally a tounge in cheek method against the negativity and "fanboyism", but I think that gets lost in translation.

Anyway, the team looked great last night. It's always nice to knock the teeth out of the Bolts considering the recent history among us.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's most definitely not just an HF Boards issue. Unbridled crtiscism has become a plague for online forums.

Moreover, if it weren't for the tight mod on this site, this forum would have dissented into another digital cesspool as most sports forums are.

Furthermore, although I've tamed it a bit, the sarcastic shtick I use is generally a tounge in cheek method against the negativity and "fanboyism", but I think that gets lost in translation.

Anyway, the team looked great last night. It's always nice to knock the teeth out of the Bolts considering the recent history among us.

Wait, you're being sarcastic when you post? :sarcasm:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I hate negativity more than most people but I also have noticed activity is down on at least 3 major sports forums. Its not just HF.

People are becoming addicted to being angry. Every time you yell on the internet you get a little shot of dopamine to your brain. Our modern connected world gives us virtually unlimited opportunities to get our fix by railing against other people over the most trivial of things.

I took two years off from posting here (with limited lurking) and had never felt better. I came back only after promising myself I wouldn't get bent out of shape over the team or varying opinions thereof.

I do wish this forum had a more communal and self-depreciating culture, like for example the Deadspin commenting section. HFBoards has a very specific culture -- being right here is more important to most than being plain fun to chat hockey with.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
People are becoming addicted to being angry. Every time you yell on the internet you get a little shot of dopamine to your brain. Our modern connected world gives us virtually unlimited opportunities to get our fix by railing against other people over the most trivial of things.

I took two years off from posting here (with limited lurking) and had never felt better. I came back only after promising myself I wouldn't get bent out of shape over the team or varying opinions thereof.

I do wish this forum had a more communal and self-depreciating culture, like for example the Deadspin commenting section. HFBoards has a very specific culture -- being right here is more important to most than being plain fun to chat hockey with.

Yup I fully agree with the last paragraph. I wish people rooted for the team more than rooting for themselves. What's wven worse is some people actually actively root against certain players so they can boast about being right in here! Totally unreal

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Which D's are better than McD in the league right now? Weber, Karlsson, Subban? Ghost?

I'd love to see him play 25-26 minutes a night (until the Rangers acquire another d-man so he can rest a little bit.)

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Which D's are better than McD in the league right now? Weber, Karlsson, Subban? Ghost?

I'd love to see him play 25-26 minutes a night (until the Rangers acquire another d-man so he can rest a little bit.)

I don't think Subban is even close to as good as Mcd. Weber is much older, Karlason is really good but if anyone was starting an NHL franchise tomorrow and he or she could draft any defenseman, McD would be near or at the top of anyone's list!

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I don't think Subban is even close to as good as Mcd. Weber is much older, Karlason is really good but if anyone was starting an NHL franchise tomorrow and he or she could draft any defenseman, McD would be near or at the top of anyone's list!

Subban is easily better than McDonagh, always has been, imo.

I mean if McD keeps this season up then sure it's a lot closer but it's not likely.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Sometimes I'll casually remember that Montreal drafted McDonagh, Pacioretty, and Subban in the same draft.

tumblr_o3cvqbcRwH1vn1d6bo1_500.gif

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
McD at his absolute best is right there with Subban. He hasn't been at his best in two years, but he looks back now. There arent many defenseman I take over McDonagh when he's playing like this; he's the total package. Only ones that are certain for me are Karlsson (best player in the league along with McDavid), Hedman, and Doughty. Then it gets cloudy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad