Post-Game Talk: Light Flurry

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Poor execution is like... the worst excuse you could ever make for the performance of a sports team.

What are you even saying here? The Rangers would be as good as other teams if they didn't mess up on plays as much?

No kidding dude. Every team would be a cup contender if they could play better than they are actually playing.

The goal is to win the Stanley's Cup not Schrodinger's Cup.

No what i am saying in that they are doing the right things, they are generating the chance, but are blowing the actual chance!

Like they make a couple great passes, and they generate a good scoring opportunity, but then fumble the shot which leads to no actual scoring chance being logged.

Or the puck hops over a stick when he is wide open by the net.

Shit like that. The catch all phrase of puck luck.

Last night there were at least 3 and more like 5 one timers where the shot never got off or was flubbed. The “chance” was generated, the final execution was not. Coaches would see it as a good play but not the result you want.

Advanced stats might show it as nothing. Not sure how a flubbed shot on a wide open net would be recorded. It doesnt change the fact that the opportunity was there and generated.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
People only say "we just didn't execute chances" when it's convenient.

When we had 2.51 expected goals against Ottawa and scored 6 on a goaltender, nobody said anything. When Seattle came in and we scored 5 goals on 2.08 expected it wasn't "great finishing by the Rangers!"

That's why I really take "well, we had chances, we just didn't finish them" with a grain of salt. It's a completely one-way narrative. People notice when good chances don't go in. When it does go in, it's just a goal, regardless of how good the chance was.

Having a few good chances that didn't go in doesn't mean you had a wealth of chances. Good teams get good chances constantly.
Well its a good thing games arent played on an excel spreadsheet.

And its not a one way narrative unless you make it one.

We have all seen games where we get outplayed and win, and many people say it. A goalie lets in a soft one here and there, there are many factors that do not, and cannot be explained by a spreadsheet. Its why coaches dont use them exclusively. Because they dont tell the full story.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
People only say "we just didn't execute chances" when it's convenient.

When we had 2.51 expected goals against Ottawa and scored 6 on a goaltender, nobody said anything. When Seattle came in and we scored 5 goals on 2.08 expected it wasn't "great finishing by the Rangers!"

That's why I really take "well, we had chances, we just didn't finish them" with a grain of salt. It's a completely one-way narrative. People notice when good chances don't go in. When it does go in, it's just a goal, regardless of how good the chance was.

Having a few good chances that didn't go in doesn't mean you had a wealth of chances. Good teams get good chances constantly.
giphy.gif

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
They could have justified breaking up Trouba/Miller and moving Trouba down by starting the season with Trouba/Jones with Trouba acting as the mentor to another young guy. That's a captainish function if that's a word.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I get why trouba is going to play. I just dont get why Lavs will not split them up. Pair trouba with Gus and miller with Schneiersr

I really dont understand it. It wouldnt even read as a demotion for Trouba if they just swapped Gus and K'andre

Reactions: skipmowerman

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There's nothing confounding about the statement. A few =/= a lot.

Every team has chances in every game. Rangers fans have no idea what a lot of chances is because their team sucks eggs at offense for the last billion and a half years.
Well its a good thing games arent played on an excel spreadsheet.

And its not a one way narrative unless you make it one.

We have all seen games where we get outplayed and win, and many people say it. A goalie lets in a soft one here and there, there are many factors that do not, and cannot be explained by a spreadsheet. Its why coaches dont use them exclusively. Because they dont tell the full story.
Everything on the "excel spreadsheet" (I use excel like Jacob Trouba uses slapshots BTW - not very well) happened on the ice.

Considering the opponent, it wasn't a terrible game. Let's not let that distract from the fact that the team can barely play NHL-level offense with Lindgren on the ice against any opponent.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
There's nothing confounding about the statement. A few =/= a lot.

Every team has chances in every game. Rangers fans have no idea what a lot of chances is because their team sucks eggs at offense for the last billion and a half years.

Everything on the "excel spreadsheet" (I use excel like Jacob Trouba uses slapshots BTW - not very well) happened on the ice.

Considering the opponent, it wasn't a terrible game. Let's not let that distract from the fact that the team can barely play NHL-level offense with Lindgren on the ice against any opponent.
Statement is logically sound, just sort of mental pretzel. The more I read it, the trippier it got.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
We did have some chances but not many. We had 23 shots. That's a low total in basically any era.

So when people call out our generation, saying "we had 2 or 3 great chances" isn't proving them wrong. In 2024, teams get 2 or 3 great chances at least every period. The Avs had 13 high-danger chances. That's 4+ per period. That's a run of the mill night for them.
Did we stop being a one line team including getting a proper 3C?

Otherwise, this should be the expected baseline until there's at least one fundamental change to roster. Until then we're here to hope that a) goaltending will be giving the skaters a chance in every game (I'm looking at you Shesty), b) Zibanejad, Miller, Trouba and Lindgren will be incrementally better than they've been so far this season - at least to some levels they've showed in the past, and c) the team as a whole plays responsibly on D.

All these a, b and c are possible to various extents and in meantime we're to remind ourselves that we're not talking about a team outside looking into playoff spot but to the contrary.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Did we stop being a one line team including getting a proper 3C?

Otherwise, this should be the expected baseline until there's at least one fundamental change to roster. Until then we're here to hope that a) goaltending will be giving the skaters a chance in every game (I'm looking at you Shesty), b) Zibanejad, Miller, Trouba and Lindgren will be incrementally better than they've been so far this season - at least to some levels they've showed in the past, and c) the team as a whole plays responsibly on D.

All these a, b and c are possible to various extents and in meantime we're to remind ourselves that we're not talking about a team outside looking into playoff spot but to the contrary.
Of course that's still to be expected, but somebody made a point about Lindgren and it turned into "I remember us having a few chances" so I guess that means we can't make any critical observations.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Of course that's still to be expected, but somebody made a point about Lindgren and it turned into "I remember us having a few chances" so I guess that means we can't make any critical observations.
I saw your observation about a few chances and even those of us who follow exclusively the Rangers should be able to look at the cumulative chances for / against data as well as league rankings to see if what they do is average, below or above. You're absolutely correct there.

On the other hand, I also think that repeated critical observations that keep hitting the same point that is probably over 90% due to two issues (3C and Shesterkin) will only contribute to increase in frustration and nothing else.

Last edited:

Uglybstrd

Apr 10, 2012
Miller had a very good game yesterday. Still not a fan of him overall, but if he plays consistently like he did yesterday it would be huge for the team.

And the little mean streak body slam of rantaanan was great. Kid needs to have that edge.

And yes i still like jones.

And Pp1 needs to be broken up. Switch Laf and Zibs. Let zib rip shots on Pp2.

Laf needs the PP time.
This x 1000

Reactions: Vaheh

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Some guys play nasty and mean because they're kind of ass holes which can be a good thing, and some guys only do it when their temper flares. Miller is the latter, and his temper tends not to flare too much unfortunately. He's also had it misdirected in the past (spitting incident) so I wouldn't read too much into his take down last night unfortunately.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
More insane (I guess not) was the fact that the refs got a chance to clearly see that there was no trip, discuss it among themselves and still stick with the call when there’ve been precedents in the league of refs correcting their wrong calls in real time.
Yep. They “confirmed” the clearly incorrect call then - presumably because they were angry about being embarrassed - double down and refuse to give the rangers a make up power play. Another symptom of zero accountability.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Nic Dowd, Yanni Gourde or Boone Jenner between Cuylle and Kakko and we will have a force to be reckoned with on the 3rd line. Wheeler has been getting better and better on that line with Mika and Kreider, I would not prioritize RW.
Yeah. Wheeler hasn’t been dynamic but he’s getting better, facilitating. I’m no expert but I think that line has been improving. it’s possible he’s the glue guy they need.

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
Nic Dowd, Yanni Gourde or Boone Jenner between Cuylle and Kakko and we will have a force to be reckoned with on the 3rd line. Wheeler has been getting better and better on that line with Mika and Kreider, I would not prioritize RW.
Wheeler was dogshit last night. Possession black hole. Almost cost us the game at the end of the third cuz he can't even make a simple chip play out of the zone.

ncdoc

Oct 10, 2015
This place is such a circle jerk sometimes. Hilarious to read. Opinions on players are day to day, like stocks. F Schneider he was a wasted pick, now maybe he is a No 1 D. F K'Andre he hasn't developed at all, what can we get for him, no he just needed a new partner. Shoot Kaako to the sun. Take Laf with him. Boo Nieves should have been 1-C. Wish some of you coached or managed the team, seeing the cup in NY would have been awesome.

It is so easy to be negative about players and the team because the chance they make and win the cup is very low, just like a lot of teams. The Drury, Dolan conspiracies. I love reading this stuff, the anger and amazement keeps me going. I gues I just wanted to say that as a (mostly) lurker I appreciate this forum and its posters so much. It has become a part of my daily life. Just wish we could be a bit more positive when we have a decent team.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
This place is such a circle jerk sometimes. Hilarious to read. Opinions on players are day to day, like stocks. F Schneider he was a wasted pick, now maybe he is a No 1 D. F K'Andre he hasn't developed at all, what can we get for him, no he just needed a new partner. Shoot Kaako to the sun. Take Laf with him. Boo Nieves should have been 1-C. Wish some of you coached or managed the team, seeing the cup in NY would have been awesome.

It is so easy to be negative about players and the team because the chance they make and win the cup is very low, just like a lot of teams. The Drury, Dolan conspiracies. I love reading this stuff, the anger and amazement keeps me going. I gues I just wanted to say that as a (mostly) lurker I appreciate this forum and its posters so much. It has become a part of my daily life. Just wish we could be a bit more positive when we have a decent team.
Forums would be boring if everyone agreed. There IS positivity but the last month or so the lads haven’t exactly given us much to be enthusiastic about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad