Rumor: Lies & Deception Thread | What Will You Believe Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I get a little scared of the Hyman contract but I am generally impressed with the player.

During that Leafs series he was the one making things happen on a line with Matthews. Guy doesn't give an inch on the ice and plays hard every night.

I really hope we can get one of Hyman, Hall or Landeskog. Contracts for any are going to raise some eyebrows around here but we really need another impact forward.

With that recent Smith news from Friedman (looking at 2 year contract) it doesnt' look like fixing goaltending is priority #1 :(

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
It is kind of crazy they aren't protecting him. He is a solid 3rd line guy. I don't think he is the answer for 3C like some people are stating though. He was playing wing more than C last year. Although he did play mostly C in 2019-20 and 2018-19. But he is a solid 13-18 goals/year guy in the middle of his career (353 GP). He makes $2.9 and is a RFA, so will need to have a QO around 3.25 or so I think. Basically he is a more useful Kassian after he signs his next deal. I can't imagine that Seattle won't take him, and this is certainly a player I would protect over Archie or Kassian on our team, if a trade could be worked out (picks/prospects kind of thing).
Considering that Burkie loves and wants toughness on the Pens, I reckon Kassian and small plus would pry McCann. They don’t want to lose him for nothing.

Reactions: canhi80

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He's been working on getting faster for what 4 years now? His skating had improved but not close to enough. The NHL is a much faster league than the AHL and he looks relatively slow down there, but he has the skill down there to make up for it. That won't cut it in the NHL
I’m not well versed in the time lines or curves for improving your skating. Maybe there is a point where if it hasn’t happened by now, it ain’t happening. I just hope the Oilers are smart enough to know that point and have made the call. They should be able to figure that out, but they may need to dip into the analytics bag to actually figure that out… so damn.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
3 year sample size for Landeskog WOWY numbers:

Landeskog with MacKinnon & Rantanen TOI= 1712 mins, CF%= 58.3, GF%= 60.8 Ozone start= 66.4%
Landeskog without MacKinnon & Rantanen TOI= 401 mins, CF%= 41.7, GF%= 30.0 Ozone start= 39.9%

So obviously when Landeskog is away from MacKinnon and Rantanen and is getting a zone start bias like that he's being used in more of a defensive role, but the difference in numbers is very stark. The most important part of acquiring players from good teams (particularly high scoring teams) is identifying who is elevating who and to what extent, I put Landeskog in the very good player category, but not elite despite what his box numbers might say.

My line in the sand for Landeskog is $6.25M. Colorado is a smart well managed team, there is a reason for his apparent "low-ball" offer.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Like so much baseless things about the player “no hustle”, “can’t skate”. Guarantee you they don’t watch a lick of him in the AHL or they think 7 games tells you everything about a player.
I've watched him a bunch. Was super hyped for him for years. His flaws haven't improved enough to be good at the NHL level. He also doesn't have the skill set to be a bottom 6 guy. He has always been a top 6 or bust but he simply doesn't have the skating ability to be in the NHL.

Also the whole hustle thing is talking about camp. You'd think the kid would show SOMETHING in NHL camps after all this time but he never does. He looks out of place at camps and is constantly invisible. That's on him.
Camp is the one big chance a young player has to impress the coaching staff and maybe make the roster. Benson never has

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Yours isn't?
What we should keep every prospect till they are 30 just in case they end up good?

I LIKED Benson. I was singing his praises for years dude.
I see a guy who is more skilled, more potential and on a better contract than Kassian. there is no sane case to keep Kassian protected over him, Seattle might not even him but would sure as hell take Benson.

he has literally played 7 NHLs in a depth role and you're writing off everything about Benson that makes him a good player

Reactions: Beerfish

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I believe the trade freeze starts in just under 24 hours from now. Interesting we havent seen any deals today. Hopefully we see some last minute deals prior to expansion.

You gotta think Nashville, Philadephia and Tampa Bay might have deals in the works with Seattle already while Arizona probably looks to trade Kuemper beforehand. Does Appleton or Copp get moved? What about Vince Dunn?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I’m not well versed in the time lines or curves for improving your skating. Maybe there is a point where if it hasn’t happened by now, it ain’t happening. I just hope the Oilers are smart enough to know that point and have made the call. They should be able to figure that out, but they may need to dip into the analytics bag to actually figure that out… so damn.
This past season is really hard to judge for the AHL as competition has plummeted. Some teams were playing with half their roster as almost ECHL level players too. That and the limited teams they played against. Him and Skinner had good years but it's hard to tell how much of that was just quality of competition and how much of it was them

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He's allegedly said he's made his money and now wants to go for the cup.
If he wants a Cup he should look at the recent history of generational players and realize that Cups follow the Gretzkys, Lemiuexs, and Crosby’s of the League. We got McDavid PLUS Nurse plus Draisaitl. I hope Hall is smart enough to see this and becomes that last missing piece.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This past season is really hard to judge for the AHL as competition has plummeted. Some teams were playing with half their roster as almost ECHL level players too. That and the limited teams they played against. Him and Skinner had good years but it's hard to tell how much of that was just quality of competition and how much of it was them
Interesting. Bensons numbers may very well have be juiced then. Still if we lose hum, I wish he woulda got more of a look. But it’s possible the Oilers already know what they have there.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
There have been many players in the present and past that put up gaudy AHL numbers that have no business in the NHL.
Yeah but until they get a fair shake you'll never know. Benson has absolutely earned that.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I see a guy who is more skilled, more potential and on a better contract than Kassian. there is no sane case to keep Kassian protected over him, Seattle might not even him but would sure as hell take Benson.

he has literally played 7 NHLs in a depth role and you're writing off everything about Benson that makes him a good player
At least Kassian can skate.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad