Votes: 157 43.6%
  • Bourque - better career, Lidström - better player

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Lidström - better career, Bourque - better player

Votes: 61 16.9%

• Total voters

FrankSidebottom

Mar 16, 2021
2 of the greatest defensemen ever with numerous awards and achievements. Who was better?

Norris

Bourque: 1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-2-2-2-3-3-3-3-4-4-4-4-7-7-7
Lidström: 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-3-4-5-6-6-8

Hart (Top 10)

Bourque: 2-2-4-5-5-6-8
Lidström: 4-6-7-8-9-10

4 cups + CS for Lidström, 1 cup for Bourque

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
This poll is better suited for the History of Hockey forum.

In fact they already have multiple megathreads on it:

That thread used to be a poll before the HF migration caused all of the old polls to be removed.

Bourque won. For better player and for higher ranking all time.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Lidstrom was great. Especially in his 30's. Bourque was great from start to end. 19 years with a top 5 norris trophy finish. That is absurd.

And he was still great when Colorado won the cup. By no means a passenger.

Lidstrom, you probablyhave to say had the better career. In terms of cups (4/6) and overall team dominance.

But if you put Bourque on Detroit between 93-2002, they still probably go 3/4 in the SCF. Maybe they win in 96 or 99.

Bourque for both.

Not by a huge margin or anything, but still clear
Yeah this

It's clearly Bourque. Not by a huge margin though.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Can't see any serious argument for Bourque having had the better career. The Bruins didn't have a great record with him as the captain and besides a number of cups also individually Lidström was decorated more. Even internationally Lidström achieved way more.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Can't see any serious argument for Bourque having had the better career. The Bruins didn't have a great record with him as the captain and besides a number of cups also individually Lidström was decorated more. Even internationally Lidström achieved way more.
Bourque had a higher and longer offensive prime. His Norris voting record reflects that. More awards and Cups do not necessarily equate to a better career.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Bourque had a higher and longer offensive prime. His Norris voting record reflects that. More awards and Cups do not necessarily equate to a better career.
I think they almost certainly do. Unless we're getting into semantics about how we define the word 'career.'

Cups alone don't necessitate a better career, as has been stated billions of times on this site. But if you're winning Cups AND individual trophies, then it implies you are achieving both team success and individual success as the best in the league at your position.

While I feel Bourque is a better overall player, he achieved less individual and team success, which to me equates to a worse career.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I think they almost certainly do. Unless we're getting into semantics about how we define the word 'career.'

Cups alone don't necessitate a better career, as has been stated billions of times on this site. But if you're winning Cups AND individual trophies, then it implies you are achieving both team success and individual success as the best in the league at your position.

While I feel Bourque is a better overall player, he achieved less individual and team success, which to me equates to a worse career.
We can choose our own criteria for judging the better player. Call it semantics if you want, but I think it's legitimate. For me, greater career equates to greater player for the whole duration. Norris voting is, I believe, an important consideration when trying to determine the better defenseman.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
An epic debate for sure. 2 elite legends of the highest order. Very close. Gimme Bourque by a hair.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

High scoring in the highest-scoring (and generally weaker) era in league history, a number of contemporaries were up there with him. The Bruins were better before and after Bourque than with him.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
High scoring in the highest-scoring (and generally weaker) era in league history, a number of contemporaries were up there with him. The Bruins were better before and after Bourque than with him.

Consider using some of the arguments you normally do when it comes to whoever you feel like arguing for like:

Bourque being a two time Hart runner up and five time top five vote getter, as well as being a fifteen time Norris finalist and nineteen time top five vote getter to go with his five overall wins.

Nothing to do with points and the better before and after comment is so foolish.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Bourque was an offensive and defensive stalwart when he was with the Bruins. They used to be weaker as a team than they have been post-04-05. Lidström did not carry the mail offensively anywhere close to the extent that Bouque did. Both Lidström and Bourque were remarkably consistent throughout their careers, though, as complete defensemen.

Reactions: cole von cole

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Consider using some of the arguments you normally do when it comes to whoever you feel like arguing for like:

Bourque being a two time Hart runner up and five time top five vote getter, as well as being a fifteen time Norris finalist and nineteen time top five vote getter to go with his five overall wins.

Nothing to do with points and the better before and after comment is so foolish.

You play to win, and the Bruins were often top favorites.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
You play to win, and the Bruins were often top favorites.

*Checks notes*

I’m not seeing where often comes into the equation.

In Bourque’s first 11 seasons, the Islanders won 4 in a row, the Oilers won 5 of 7, with Montreal and Calgary taking the remaining two. They lost to Montreal as the lower seed who went on to the Cup win. The year Calgary won, they lost in the second round to a far superior Montreal squad. They certainly were on the wrong side of a couple of upsets in that time span, but the end result is that there was no Cup they were taking in that 11 year time span.

Then we see the Penguins win back to back Cups. They lost to the Penguins in the Conference Finals both times, the first time as the higher seed and the second time as the lower. Were they seen as favorites even in the first year?

1992-1993 is the year of the upset. Fair enough. Getting swept in the first round as a #2 seed is a humiliating failure.

Then for the rest of his time in Boston, I see a lot of getting eliminated where expected and often by the team that goes on to represent the Conference and in some cases, winning the Cup.

I don’t see where they were top favorites “often” and I don’t see any real chances of winning when just 3 teams won 11 Cups in his first 13 seasons.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
*Checks notes*

I’m not seeing where often comes into the equation.

In Bourque’s first 11 seasons, the Islanders won 4 in a row, the Oilers won 5 of 7, with Montreal and Calgary taking the remaining two. They lost to Montreal as the lower seed who went on to the Cup win. The year Calgary won, they lost in the second round to a far superior Montreal squad. They certainly were on the wrong side of a couple of upsets in that time span, but the end result is that there was no Cup they were taking in that 11 year time span.

Then we see the Penguins win back to back Cups. They lost to the Penguins in the Conference Finals both times, the first time as the higher seed and the second time as the lower. Were they seen as favorites even in the first year?

1992-1993 is the year of the upset. Fair enough. Getting swept in the first round as a #2 seed is a humiliating failure.

Then for the rest of his time in Boston, I see a lot of getting eliminated where expected and often by the team that goes on to represent the Conference and in some cases, winning the Cup.

I don’t see where they were top favorites “often” and I don’t see any real chances of winning when just 3 teams won 11 Cups in his first 13 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad