Player Discussion Lias Andersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One would like to see Lias finish out the season strong and take another step next year. Chytil goes through periods he struggles as well and Howden's offense disappeared after the first month. They're all developing and it's going to take patience--not just from us but from the coaching staff too. That's also why we're going to need veterans who can lead the team on and off the ice--so too much of the brunt for whatever success or lack thereof doesn't fall on these kids and ruin their confidence. Of them all I think Chytil's ther furthest ahead but he's still got a lot to figure out.

Hajek has looked very good and actually I thought Lindgren played pretty well when he was up for 3 games earlier in the season. There has been a lot to be optimistic about since the Rangers decided to blow it up.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
My post was more about the "Swing and miss" comment I quoted. I agree that there's room for improvement. I also feel it's way too early to judge a player who turned 20 just a few months ago. The 2017 draft was weak. That's possibly why Arizona was willing to trade a top-10 pick, unlike in 2016 or 2018.
I'd say it's never too early to judge what you're seeing...but it's certainly too early to make final projections for what he will become .

However this is going to be a huge off-season for him. If there aren't big strides taken in his game I could easily see the rangers cutting bait early.

Reactions: pld459666

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If ADA is our top line dman then Gorton has failed as a GM. On a cup team he shouldnt sniff the top pair.
Shrugs,

He skates better than Letang, he passes about as well as Letang, he's probably more feisty than Letang, and in his first full year his numbers are better than Letang playing with significantly worse teammates (albeit at 2 years older. .. their age 23 seasons are definitely more favorable for Letang, but again... Crosby and Malkin vs zibanejad and strome right now).

I'd argue that DeAngelo could be a Letang.. .Ish player for us... Just without 2 generational players to pass the puck up 2.

But I'll also say, I'm one of DeAngelo biggest fanboys here, so I clearly recognize that I am biased.

Reactions: jas and Irishguy42

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I'm still optimistic that he's going to figure it out at the NHL level. He's still young, so I feel like it's not totally fair to write him off, though there is still some concern as of now.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Look, I'm not going to lie, I thought Andersson would have made more of an impact by now.

But I also don't think that's entirely on him. I can't really say that we've put him in a situation to succeed offensively at the NHL level either.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Look, I'm not going to lie, I thought Andersson would have made more of an impact by now.

But I also don't think that's entirely on him. I can't really say that we've put him in a situation to succeed offensively at the NHL level either.

Not sure what Howden did to get the gig with Buch and Lemieux. Lias was playing fine with them before getting moved down.

With that being said, he was invisible vs an AHL team in the Devils. Would not be shocked if he sits again.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Not sure what Howden did to get the gig with Buch and Lemieux. Lias was playing fine with them before getting moved down.

With that being said, he was invisible vs an AHL team in the Devils. Would not be shocked if he sits again.
I thought howden played better with those 2 tbh. .I also think the center doesn't really matter as much with those 2... Lemieux and buch are carrying that line

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

How so? We've played him on the top line as a wing, we've had him centering chytil and buch, had him with lemieux and buch, and all over the lineup...he's kinda looked the same wherever he's played.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Most of the games I've watched with Lias in the line up, I have to actively search for No. 50.

He's not noticable most nights and while that is the sign for a great boxing referee, it's not a good sign for an NHL forward.

I hope he gets it together. Would hate for him to be remember as the spoiled brat that threw his Silver Medal in yo the stands.

Reactions: JHS

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How so? We've played him on the top line as a wing, we've had him centering chytil and buch, had him with lemieux and buch, and all over the lineup...he's kinda looked the same wherever he's played.

I thought he looked damn good with Lemieux and Buch, but is being moved again.

I also don't think he's seen nearly the amount of time in scoring situations that he is in grinding situations.

Reactions: Rangers743

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I thought he looked damn good with Lemieux and Buch, but is being moved again.

I also don't think he's seen nearly the amount of time in scoring situations that he is in grinding situations.
I'd say...unequivocally, the best he's looked by far was with buch and lemieux. I'll definitely agree with you there.

And I also will say, if it were me, he'd probably still be with them

I'll also say that howden has looked really great with them too, and IMHO better than lias was.. .with that said it's a tough spot for the coach. .. both centers looked great with those 2 wingers. . I think it's cause the wingers are playing so damn well.

I'm still waiting for @Steve Kournianos to crap on lemieux despite him being arguably our 3rd best forward since we got him.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Lias looked good with Lemieux and Buchnevich there was no reason to move him and give Howden that line.

Lias is being put into a position to be a grinder 4th line center and he's playing that way. He's not even thinking offense or making a play, everything is safe. A positive is he's looked good in the D zone, but as far as offense it's as if he's not even considering it. I saw a momeny in the 3rd period against NJ that Lias had the puck with some time and space to enter the offensive zone over the blue line and he basically panicked with the space he was being given and I think overskated the puck and fell down just inside the line.

He's clearly lost his confidence on the offensive side of the puck. In watching his SHL and WJC and WC games and a few Hartford games I saw Lias trying to be creative and make plays and take advantage of space. I think he's incredibly "in his own head" right now and only focusing on making the smart and safe play at all times.

Reactions: Rangers743

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Lias looked good with Lemieux and Buchnevich there was no reason to move him and give Howden that line.

Lias is being put into a position to be a grinder 4th line center and he's playing that way. He's not even thinking offense or making a play, everything is safe. A positive is he's looked good in the D zone, but as far as offense it's as if he's not even considering it. I saw a momeny in the 3rd period against NJ that Lias had the puck with some time and space to enter the offensive zone over the blue line and he basically panicked with the space he was being given and I think overskated the puck and fell down just inside the line.

He's clearly lost his confidence on the offensive side of the puck. In watching his SHL and WJC and WC games and a few Hartford games I saw Lias trying to be creative and make plays and take advantage of space. I think he's incredibly "in his own head" right now and only focusing on making the smart and safe play at all times.
No but Quinn is infallible and all of his coaching decisions are the smartest thing to do. It made 0 sense taking Lias off that line

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'd say...unequivocally, the best he's looked by far was with buch and lemieux. I'll definitely agree with you there.

And I also will say, if it were me, he'd probably still be with them

I'll also say that howden has looked really great with them too, and IMHO better than lias was.. .with that said it's a tough spot for the coach. .. both centers looked great with those 2 wingers. . I think it's cause the wingers are playing so damn well.

I'm still waiting for @Steve Kournianos to crap on lemieux despite him being arguably our 3rd best forward since we got him.

And you know I love Howden, so I'm never terribly upset when he gets a look.

But the above is part of the problem/challenge. Other guys have had their looks and had their chances --- for extended periods of time. In some cases, guys like Howden and Chytil have literally gone months without scoring. But Andersson gets a string of games here, a string of games there. But he never gets that consistent run to really build momentum. And that's something that can't be overlooked. We don't have to search any further than the difference it made with Chytil earlier in the season. He wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire with a multitude of bottom six roles either.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
How is Quinn evaluated by the way how the prospects develop or how successful players are in a rebuild situation? (A bit off topic.)
The main issue now we have too many bottom 6 players - so cross fingers that Lias manage to crawl back into a top 9 picture - at least in next year training camp. :nod:
I`m about to get pizza, not hut though, but can someone start the GDT, Loffen, anyone in the meanwhile? ;)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Lias and Lemieux should be stapled to eachother for the remainder of this season. They compliment eachother because their primary goal is the same. Get shots to the net, battle in front and win battles.

One thing I will say is that I really think Lias would do well with a bigger guy on his line. In the past he has always been the type of player who battles down low and comes away with the puck but from my recollection, he was never the first guy in. He was normally the second guy who, while still battling, still had some ice to work with. He shouldn't be the guy in there battling as the first man in which I have seen A LOT this year.

It's the same situation in front of the net. He shouldn't be the guy stationed in front battling the defenseman for position. He needs to find the soft areas away from the main battle to use his skills in deflecting pucks and getting to rebounds. He shouldn't be the guy on his line standing in front.

The guy who excels in the areas Lias shouldn't be in (regularly) is Lemieux.

Reactions: Ori

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
And you know I love Howden, so I'm never terribly upset when he gets a look.

But the above is part of the problem/challenge. Other guys have had their looks and had their chances --- for extended periods of time. In some cases, guys like Howden and Chytil have literally gone months without scoring. But Andersson gets a string of games here, a string of games there. But he never gets that consistent run to really build momentum. And that's something that can't be overlooked. We don't have to search any further than the difference it made with Chytil earlier in the season. He wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire with a multitude of bottom six roles either.
That's fair..but I'll say those guys, when placed on lower lines, have done a TON more to justify a longer look at the higher lines. Lias' has not.

I'll also say that howden game fell off a cliff and should have been sent down months ago.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That's fair..but I'll say those guys, when placed on lower lines, have done a TON more to justify a longer look at the higher lines. Lias' has not.

I'll also say that howden game fell off a cliff and should have been sent down months ago.

Lias being scratched was a horrible decision without a proper reason behind it other than "having to scratch someone to play others". Howden just strolls back into the top 9 after weeks of mediocrity followed by weeks out with injury.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I have to tell you, I don't see a hell of a lot of difference between what Andersson has done on those lower lines. I mean even now, we're literally days out from talking about what he did with Buch and Lemieux only to be demoted.

So, if anything, the result seems to be the same no matter what he does.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I have to tell you, I don't see a hell of a lot of difference between what Andersson has done on those lower lines. I mean even now, we're literally days out from talking about what he did with Buch and Lemieux only to be demoted.

So, if anything, the result seems to be the same no matter what he does.
I'm actually not following this...are you saying that howden and lias' are essentially the same on the bottom lines? I'd say that's a decent argumeny. I'll also say howden has shown flashes this season whereas I really can't say the same for lias'. .do the flashes earn you the benefit of the doubt?

Honestly right now if it were me I'd be running this...

Kreider zibanejad vesey
Buch lias lemieux
Namestnikov howden chytil
Strome boo fasth

But that's just me.

If howden and lias are flip flopped that is fine too.

With that said lias' still needs a big time off-season of work Imho

Reactions: Ori

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm actually not following this...are you saying that howden and lias' are essentially the same on the bottom lines? I'd say that's a decent argumeny. I'll also say howden has shown flashes this season whereas I really can't say the same for lias'. .do the flashes earn you the benefit of the doubt?

Honestly right now if it were me I'd be running this...

Kreider zibanejad vesey
Buch lias lemieux
Namestnikov howden chytil
Strome boo fasth

But that's just me.

If howden and lias are flip flopped that is fine too.

With that said lias' still needs a big time off-season of work Imho

Correct, I think they've been relatively close on the bottom lines.

As for the flashes, that's somewhat hard for me to say. Howden has generally received 50 percent more ice time than Andersson, and seen consistent, steady usage. Andersson has been a bit more all over the place in his usage, and good play hasn't necessarily been rewarded with increased opportunity --- as we're seeing right now.

On the one hand, you're correct that flashes can earn a benefit of the doubt, but I don't know how long that extends. At this point, I think I'd like to see Andersson receive the same opportunity to earn benefit of the doubt.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Lias being scratched was a horrible decision without a proper reason behind it other than "having to scratch someone to play others". Howden just strolls back into the top 9 after weeks of mediocrity followed by weeks out with injury.
Yup and Howden is given PP time and used in OT.

I'd even say prior to his injury calling Howden's performance mediocre is being very kind to him. He was flat out bad for a long time before he got hurt.

I like Howden and am glad to see Quinn give him chances, but I'm not sure what he's done to merit getting all of these chances and advantages while Andersson has gotten none of the same.

I mean Howden get months of top 9 and PP time despite looking horrible and Lias gets 1 or 2 games with decent linemates whom he looks good with (Lemieux and Buch) and then gets scratched for seemingly no reason and he gets 6-8 minutes a night in 4th line deployment.

Why not throw Lias some PP usage? How about a shift in OT here or there? Howden gets endless chances, why not split the chances up between the two players? Because it seems like Howden has gotten an absurd amount of leash and good will out just of a good training camp and first 2 weeks of the season, despite a very poor 55 or so straight games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad