OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 3)

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I guess I’ll be looking at these as an option.

Yeah, what I'd add is that be careful not to overexpose your PF into those, don't put more 10% of your PF I'd say in Private equity like these funds.

Those are not liquid (eligible house purchase, sickness, retirement, and that's it for the reasons to be able to pull those funds). They're also on in Québec, so if the province goes to shit, that's not good (I would not bet on that possibility, but you never know).

Some people only invest 5000$ in FTQ every year, they have 100% of their PF in it. While it has done pretty good since its inception, it probably underperformed the stock market.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah, what I'd add is that be careful not to overexpose your PF into those, don't put more 10% of your PF I'd say in Private equity like these funds.

Those are not liquid (eligible house purchase, sickness, retirement, and that's it for the reasons to be able to pull those funds). They're also on in Québec, so if the province goes to shit, that's not good (I would not bet on that possibility, but you never know).

Some people only invest 5000$ in FTQ every year, they have 100% of their PF in it. While it has done pretty good since its inception, it probably underperformed the stock market.
Thanks for your input in this thread, I like the roadmap you’re using and your rationale. I was so convinced about SCHD and the two other ETFs in this video and their set it and forget it aspects as I don’t have a ton of time to research individual stocks:

This guy looks credible to me (love how he breaks down optimal ETF holdings by age) but then you made me realize how I hadn’t considered the withholding tax aspects from owning US stocks.

I need to find equivalents of the 3 ETF portfolio but on the TSX. Plus, I’ll take advantage of the private equity aspects that our US counterparts don’t always have access to, as you’ve aptly pointed out.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is the best personal finance thread I’ve ever seen on Twitter-X. It has it all.

Too bad there is no Canadian equivalent however some strategies are adaptable. Worth bookmarking:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I sold a bunch back in December rally. Looking to buy them back. I figured early 2024 be a dip. Usually short term dip after big rally, them takes off again. I use the 10 year yield as my guide. It's over 4% again as I write this. Like to make a move soon. If S&P500 can get around 4,625-4650 I should make about 3%. I try average 10%, plus 5% dividend. Gives me 15%, which doubles my money over 5 years. If I can bump that another 3%, I get around 18%. Which makes gravy.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA

Top Performing Canadian ETFs in 2023​

Table with 4 columns and 10 rows.
NameTicker2023 ReturnsManagement Expense Ratio
BetaPro NatrlGas Invrs Lvrgd DlBear ETFHND243.38%1.38%
Bitcoin ETF CADEBIT149.30%2.18%
CI Galaxy Bitcoin ETF CADBTCX.B145.45%0.87%
Fidelity Advantage Bitcoin ETFTMFBTC144.33%0.95%
Purpose Bitcoin CAD ETF Non-Currency HdgBTCC.B143.46%1.45%
3iQ Bitcoin ETFBTCQ141.81%1.31%
Evolve Cryptocurrencies ETFETC122.69%1.71%
Ninepoint Web3 Innovators FundTKN107.23%1.45%
Purpose Bitcoin Yield CAD ETF Non-CcyHdgBTCY.B106.17%1.28%
Purpose Bitcoin Yield ETFBTCY102.63%1.28%

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anything plain vanilla index funds by Vanguard or Blackrock

VT looks perfect if you want 100% stocks.

« There are four Canadian equity ETFs that made the list which is interesting because Canada has underperformed most equity markets except emerging markets so far YTD. In terms of index providers that made this list, its not surprising to see that Vanguard, BMO and iShares are the only ones represented as they are the largest 3 providers in Canada and represent 65% of ETF assets. »

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Best Canadian Dividend Stocks
  • Royal Bank of Canada. 5.24. 8,411,732. Financial Services.
  • Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. 5.17. 8,297,248. Energy.
  • Enbridge Inc. 4.66. 7,483,813. Energy.
  • The Toronto-Dominion Bank. 4.61. 7,411,022. Financial Services.
  • Fortis Inc. 4.26. 6,847,784. Utilities.
  • Suncor Energy Inc. 3.46. 5,557,961. ...
  • Emera Inc. 3.44. 5,525,936. ...
  • BCE Inc. 3.36. 5,400,170.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What affect will quantum computing have on Bitcoin and other crypto?

Best Canadian Dividend Stocks
  • Royal Bank of Canada. 5.24. 8,411,732. Financial Services.
  • Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. 5.17. 8,297,248. Energy.
  • Enbridge Inc. 4.66. 7,483,813. Energy.
  • The Toronto-Dominion Bank. 4.61. 7,411,022. Financial Services.
  • Fortis Inc. 4.26. 6,847,784. Utilities.
  • Suncor Energy Inc. 3.46. 5,557,961. ...
  • Emera Inc. 3.44. 5,525,936. ...
  • BCE Inc. 3.36. 5,400,170.
I own shares in two of these. Plus Cn rail and rio tin

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
What affect will quantum computing have on Bitcoin and other crypto?

QC are a threat to some of today's underlying cryptography but have the potential to improve efficiency and security of blockchains.

Great start of the year for stocks powered by tech, at least in US, despite signs we are not out of the woods with inflation and rates may not come down as soon as many expect. Great to see crypto on fire as well. Let's see how long the party lasts.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
QC are a threat to some of today's underlying cryptography but have the potential to improve efficiency and security of blockchains.

Great start of the year for stocks powered by tech, at least in US, despite signs we are not out of the woods with inflation and rates may not come down as soon as many expect. Great to see crypto on fire as well. Let's see how long the party lasts.
I'm not going back into crypto. I bought Bitcoin once and felt it was being controlled by whales. That kind of money in hands of a few is not for me.

I've made money since Halloween but not how I thought I would. S&P500 doing better than I thought.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I'm not going back into crypto. I bought Bitcoin once and felt it was being controlled by whales. That kind of money in hands of a few is not for me.

I've made money since Halloween but not how I thought I would. S&P500 doing better than I thought.
I’ve been DCAing BTC and ETH like crazy since bitcoin was about 23-24k. Some really cheap coins were available. I have no regrets, I continue to DCA at 70k. I will continue to DCA at 100k. If you’re not buying coins then you are missing out.

I was already a big holder of BTC before this. No reason not to own some BTC/ETC.

Reactions: LeHab

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I’ve been DCAing BTC and ETH like crazy since bitcoin was about 23-24k. Some really cheap coins were available. I have no regrets, I continue to DCA at 70k. I will continue to DCA at 100k. If you’re not buying coins then you are missing out.

I was already a big holder of BTC before this. No reason not to own some BTC/ETC.

BTC briefly broke 63K today, getting close to all-time high. ETH almost touched 3500. I still recall how Poilievre got laughed at when he suggested people should buy crypto as part of their retirement strategy. Have to admit I was one of them non-believers at the time. Happy to have awakened to the potential of crypto back in 2022. Still very early in the game and there will be volatility but in the long run we will be alright. Counting on regulation + AI to help crypto & blockchain mainstream adoption and more real-life usage. Keeping an eye on Chainlink (LINK) as a great project to bring real-life data over decentralized Oracles onto chains.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
BTC briefly broke 63K today, getting close to all-time high. ETH almost touched 3500. I still recall how Poilievre got laughed at when he suggested people should buy crypto as part of their retirement strategy. Have to admit I was one of them non-believers at the time. Happy to have awakened to the potential of crypto back in 2022. Still very early in the game and there will be volatility but in the long run we will be alright. Counting on regulation + AI to help crypto & blockchain mainstream adoption and more real-life usage. Keeping an eye on Chainlink (LINK) as a great project to bring real-life data over decentralized Oracles onto chains.
I'm not going back to crypto. It is being manipulated by whales. Reasons why I sold out. Other stocks to make money

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I'm not going back to crypto. It is being manipulated by whales. Reasons why I sold out. Other stocks to make money

Crypto certainly remains a high volatility asset. I'm a long-term believer. Good as part of overall diversification strategy and only a question of time before it becomes mainstream.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Crypto certainly remains a high volatility asset. I'm a long-term believer. Good as part of overall diversification strategy and only a question of time before it becomes mainstream.
I just see it as too many things can go wrong.

I hold most my money in value stocks, average 10% a year plus 5% dividend. Over long term I double my money every 5 years.

About 10-20% I invest in future growth stocks. I own a few chip stocks and one quantum computing stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeHab

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
In truth nobody knows what's going to go up or down. Years ago I bought ETFs: NEE, SIVR, FNV and all are down. I lost thousands of dollars but Im keeping them in case they go up again. I also bought cryptos: BTC, ETH and XRP years ago. I'll be spectacularly wealthy if I cash them out but I'm wary of that capital sales tax that could potentially take half of everything. Also got Gold and SIlver.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
In truth nobody knows what's going to go up or down. Years ago I bought ETFs: NEE, SIVR, FNV and all are down. I lost thousands of dollars but Im keeping them in case they go up again. I also bought cryptos: BTC, ETH and XRP years ago. I'll be spectacularly wealthy if I cash them out but I'm wary of that capital sales tax that could potentially take half of everything. Also got Gold and SIlver.
You only have to pay half the tax. It's not that bad. I sold a bunch of TSLA last year. Made around 400k. I only to pay tax on 200k

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I just see it as too many things can go wrong.

I hold most my money in value stocks, average 10% a year plus 5% dividend. Over long term I double my money every 5 years.

About 10-20% I invest in future growth stocks. I own a few chip stocks and one quantum computing stock.

Well done, what are your values and QC stocks these days?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad