Let's Jinx Our Goaltending

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There was a lot of talk after the first couple of months of the season regarding how the goaltending tandem brought in for this year in Ramo and Berra (and I guess MacDonald) was a complete, unmitigated disaster. Lots of calls were made for some form of trade to acquire an established starter. Lately, however:

Ramo has a .940 SV% and 1.67 GAA in his last 6 games.

Berra has a .942 SV% and 1.67 GAA in his last 3 games.

What I'm wondering is whether goaltending is still an area of concern for this team going forward, or if we feel we've at least done enough to tide us over until Gillies is ready.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
What you or I think can very well be the opposite of Burkie....

But in my opinion, I wouldn't give up the assets it takes to aquire a legit #1 until we build a better team or like your mentioned when Gilles is ready.

Wait another season to see if these 2 sink or swim, try Ortio, then reassess.

Edit - they both have proved this far being capable NHL goaltenders. Berra has played a bit over 2 months of hockey in NA and has decent numbers. It's weather they learn to improve their game and or develope a more consistant orthodox playing style under the direction of out goalie coach.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Negative.

This team doesn't need a top tier goalie, because this team is no where near a contender. Let Ramo and Berra grow within the organization, along with Ortio and Gillies; and I am certain at least one will develop the tools required to be a high end goalie in the NHL.

The focus for next year should pretty much be everything *but* goaltending. Still need a top pairing (young) guy, still need pretty much the majority of two top lines.

The Flames this summer should be focusing on not making any bone-headed signings, making a splash at the draft and seeing what can be traded from the remaining older/spare parts players we have.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Its not a black and white issue at all. I think Ramo has really stepped it up and has given us some great hockey but if a goalie such as Riemer was on the market for cheap then I would easily bring in Riemer to play with Ramo. Both goalies have given us some great hockey but both seem to let in weak deflating goals and I would say the change in their numbers and our record over those games last 9 games is due to reducing those bad goals. Until either proves that they can consistently limit bad goals I would say that there is no reason to not look what else there is.

All depends on age of goalie coming in and cost of said goalie.

Last edited:

TylerSVT*

No, i like the tandem we have now. Neither are going to win us a cup, but they bide time until Gillies is ready (or Ortio?).

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Should it be a priority? Absolutely not.

Or priority is and should be to get bigger and to bring in some top end talent. Like Volica said we need a #1 dman and basically a top line. We have all said before we basically have one 2nd line, two 3rd lines and a 4th. Those are the priorities. We have a goalie tandem right now that is improving as the season goes on. Who knows which could emerge as a legit starter by next year. Plus Gilles looks to be promising.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Even before the season started I felt the Flamea shouldn't waste assets on another goalie, still feel that way. Ramo and Berra are good enough until one of the prospects are ready to take over.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I still see sentiments like how they're not good enough for a contender, but they're good enough for a rebuild. With the way the Flames have been playing lately and not giving up ridiculously good opportunities to the opposition every shift, I feel like our goalies have proven that if we put a good team on the ice and limit the opposition's chances, they are capable of posting elite numbers.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I still see sentiments like how they're not good enough for a contender, but they're good enough for a rebuild. With the way the Flames have been playing lately and not giving up ridiculously good opportunities to the opposition every shift, I feel like our goalies have proven that if we put a good team on the ice and limit the opposition's chances, they are capable of posting elite numbers.
I agree. You put Ramo or Berra on Chicago and I bet you their numbers would be right up there. Our focus and priority should be to drastically improve the team in front of them. That's after next year of course :P Fail 4 McJesus. :laugh:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Build through the draft. Keep the tandem and keep going. Their giving us chances every night. What we lack is high end talent up front. We don't score on the power play, we don't beat defenders in foot races, we don't win puck battles and we don't score enough.

Spending to fix a non-issue is a waste of assets.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm optimistic that our current tandem is good enough. (there's your jinx, OP) :sarcasm:

While I like our prospects, and nothing against Gilles or Ortio, but I will remind everyone that Trevor Kidd was picked instead of Martin Brodeur because "he was a better prospect".

It's not a position to ignore because "we're set" but I agree it's not a priority either.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Although a starter would be nice, Ramo and Berra are pretty good while GIlles is coming up. We have more important issues at hand

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I wouldn't be opposed to signing a UFA goalie like Jonas Hiller as a veteran stop gap in a tandem with either Ramo or Berra until one of Ortio or Gillies takes the job. But it doesn't make sense to waste assets of any other kind; the goaltending is solid enough as it is. And if it isn't, well, McDavid.

Aug 3, 2010
Burke's definitely not afraid to trade for anyone and that's goaltenders included.

Burke's biggest goaltender acquisitions:
Sean Burke (Hartford Whalers)
Dan Cloutier, Alex Auld, Johan Hedberg (Vancouver Canucks)
Jean-Sebastien Giguere (Toronto Maple Leafs)

fallsviewafro*

Kipper was a god and I will love him forever but the last thing we need is another great goaltender making us finish ahead of where we rightfully should be. To think about spending assets NOW on something like that? Not a chance.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I'm not sold on Berra yet, but Ramo has started to look really good. His positioning has been great and I think that's due to him getting adjusted to the NA game. Berra still cheats far to much, but he is starting to look a lot better to.

I think the competition between the two is lighting a fire under both there *****, as there battling it out for the starting job! It's been great to see lately.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm not sold on Berra yet, but Ramo has started to look really good. His positioning has been great and I think that's due to him getting adjusted to the NA game. Berra still cheats far to much, but he is starting to look a lot better to.

I think the competition between the two is lighting a fire under both there *****, as there battling it out for the starting job! It's been great to see lately.

Yeah, not knowing who will emerge is pretty exciting. Both have lots of potential and are good in their own rights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad