Lethbridge Hurricanes

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Got a question.. if the Lethbridge Hurricanes does end up moving to Winnipeg.. will the Hurricanes name be left behind for the next team or what? Just curious as to that...
Hard to say. It's rumored that the Winnipeg team will be the Moose, so I can see TNSE being willing to part with the Hurricanes moniker, but honestly I would prefer to see it retired and if the Ice do move to Lethbridge them keep the Ice name or come up with something brand new. It's time to usher in a new era in Lethbridge hockey.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Jim Toth ‏@JimTothSports 11h
Have confirmed with #TNSE a #WHL franchise will NOT be coming to #Winnipeg this off season or in foreseeable future.

Too bad, the city of Lethbridge and its people would make out like bandits to essentially trade the Canes for the Ice, that was a pipe-dream. Hopefully there will still be a change of ownership, which is needed for this organization.

Last edited:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Not that there has been any news of potential owners, but throw Abbotsford into the ring of potential landing spots if the Hurricanes move. The Abbotsford Heat of the AHL will not return and are likely off to Glens Falls, NY.

SaskaToba

Aug 23, 2010
Canada
Yea Abbottsford never averaged more than 3,000 fans in a season but I am guessing if team's like Prince Albert (avg 2,200), Swift Current (avg 2,000) and Kooteney (avg 3,000) can do it then maybe they can. I don't know how much profit these organization make, maybe they are struggling and that isn't enough attendance, but if it is enough then I don't see why a team wouldn't go to Abbotsford. Although I think first dibs has to be Winnipeg getting a team.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
What happened in Chilliwack? The WHL wanted into Victoria, that's what happened in Chilliwack. Chilliwack was drawing about 3500 which was decent given the size of the city, but the majority owners started whining about attendance yet weren't doing anything to improve the product.

Once Victoria announced they were ditching the ECHL and wanted either the WHL or AHL to come in, that was it. Efforts were made to keep the team in Chilliwack, Willie Mitchell of the Kings and Justin Morneau of the Colorado Rockies stepped up to buy the team and keep them there, but were turned away.

Would Abbotsford be different? I think they could draw more than the Heat did and probably average 4500-5000. You could assume that the season ticket holders would come back for the Dub, and since there wouldn't be any connection to a rival NHL team, it would attract more hockey fans south of the Fraser.

Can't see anything happening anytime soon. If TNSE is being honest that they're not currently looking to acquire a WHL team, then I can see Abbotsford sitting back in the meantime before going after a WHL, or another AHL team.

Last edited:

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
What happened in Chilliwack? The WHL wanted into Victoria, that's what happened in Chilliwack. Chilliwack was drawing about 3500 which was decent given the size of the city, but the majority owners started whining about attendance yet weren't doing anything to improve the product.

Once Victoria announced they were ditching the ECHL and wanted either the WHL or AHL to come in, that was it. Efforts were made to keep the team in Chilliwack, Willie Mitchell of the Kings and Justin Morneau of the Colorado Rockies stepped up to buy the team and keep them there, but were turned away.

Would Abbotsford be different? I think they could draw more than the Heat did and probably average 4500-5000. You could assume that the season ticket holders would come back for the Dub, and since there wouldn't be any connection to a rival NHL team, it would attract more hockey fans south of the Fraser.

Can't see anything happening anytime soon. If TNSE is being honest that they're not currently looking to acquire a WHL team, then I can see Abbotsford sitting back in the meantime before going after a WHL, or another AHL team.

Are there more suites in the Abbotsford arena than in Chilliwack?

A WHL/AHL combination in the Fraser Valley was obviously overkill. However...

http://www.abbynews.com/news/255654261.html

I think the quote about wanting to be in there is an understatement. Abbotsford has the more modern building and more people in the surrounding area. I think the league has tipped their hand; now it's just a matter of waiting for a team to move.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Are there more suites in the Abbotsford arena than in Chilliwack?

A WHL/AHL combination in the Fraser Valley was obviously overkill. However...

http://www.abbynews.com/news/255654261.html

I think the quote about wanting to be in there is an understatement. Abbotsford has the more modern building and more people in the surrounding area. I think the league has tipped their hand; now it's just a matter of waiting for a team to move.

Don't know the exact numbers, but just from being in both arenas, Abbotsford has more boxes and suites, plus a club seat section.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To add to the Hurricane circus, former assistant coach Brad Lukowich has filed a lawsuit against the team for wrongful dismissal.

http://lethbridgeherald.com/sports/...ch-lukowich-sues-team-for-wrongful-dismissal/

The document alleges the Hurricanes — specifically general manager Brad Robson — bungled the firing, including the assertion that Lukowich received his walking papers in writing after the team issued a press release about his dismissal.

For a team which had the league reviewing their leadership, the lawsuit is another blow. The document states “On or about January 29, 2014, (Lukowich) raised concerns with (Robson) regarding non-compliance by certain Hurricanes coaches with policies mandated by the Western Hockey League as well as the hostile work environment.â€

Rumours persisted long before Lukowich was fired about rifts within the coaching staff. It has been long perceived that Lukowich was hired primarily because of his relationship with Robson, through the Dallas Stars organization. Head coach Drake Berehowsky has defended Robson and said he agreed with the hire. When Lukowich missed a couple of practices and was not on the bench for games in late January, all Robson or Berehowsky would offer was that the veteran NHL defenceman was “sick.â€

The document states that on “February 6 or 7†Lukowich was offered a position titled “Assistant to the GM†by Robson. While contemplating this offer, the lawsuit says he saw a Feb. 8 press release telling the public about his being “terminated for cause.†It then alleges that Lukowich received his termination in writing “by mutual consent,†which the lawsuit denies is the case.

If the Hurricanes can’t fend off this lawsuit, it could mean more than $100,000 in losses to an already cash-strapped team. McNaughton told the media the team was stable financially, including paying what it currently owes.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I think Nanaimo could have a team, they are building a new arena I believe,

I just can't understand why Cranbrook draws so poorly given the incredible team they have there, at least in terms of entertainment, their playoffs were unreal..

alcoraces

Jun 1, 2008
They need more teams in the west. What happened in Chilliwack? Why is Abbotsford going to be different?

Chilliwack was actually highly successful. The ownership group had a 5 year plan and full credit to them, they succeeded with it and made their money and moved on, just like they planned to do when they first were awarded the Bruins franchise.

In spite of how poor of a team they threw on the ice for those 5 seasons, the attendance was the least of the team's issues.

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Wait a minute... wasnt Chilliwack forced out of a team due to the fact that the AHL and WHL were trying to get into Victoria? as well as the AHL coming to Abbotsford as well? Which one might be the reason why?

alcoraces

Jun 1, 2008
Wait a minute... wasnt Chilliwack forced out of a team due to the fact that the AHL and WHL were trying to get into Victoria? as well as the AHL coming to Abbotsford as well? Which one might be the reason why?

The ownership group (some of them anyhow, there was a lot of infighting going on among them) wanted to go to Victoria right from Day 1. Good on them, it was a wise business move. But they were making A LOT of money in Chilliwack and in spite of little effort being put into improving the team (Zach Habschied etc?? Really??) the attendance was still moderately good.

That was the reason why they left Chilliwack. They are making more money in Victoria, no argument about that. But they were also very successful in Chilliwack and in spite of the Heat drawing horribly in Abbotsford, it IS a hockey town and it WOULD support a WHL franchise without any problems. Vancouver/Abbotsford, Kamloops/Abbotsford, Victoria/Abbotsford would be 3 instant rivalries.

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
The ownership group (some of them anyhow, there was a lot of infighting going on among them) wanted to go to Victoria right from Day 1. Good on them, it was a wise business move. But they were making A LOT of money in Chilliwack and in spite of little effort being put into improving the team (Zach Habschied etc?? Really??) the attendance was still moderately good.

That was the reason why they left Chilliwack. They are making more money in Victoria, no argument about that. But they were also very successful in Chilliwack and in spite of the Heat drawing horribly in Abbotsford, it IS a hockey town and it WOULD support a WHL franchise without any problems. Vancouver/Abbotsford, Kamloops/Abbotsford, Victoria/Abbotsford would be 3 instant rivalries.

Ohhh I see... so best chance for Abbotsford is the WHL? and if Chilliwack ever get another chance? that would be very interesting to see...

So I assume nothing new on the rumors of the WHL in Winnipeg as far as I know?

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Boy, it's just never-ending for this team, isn't it?

Today key veterans Reid Duke (Minnesota draft pick) and Macoy Erkamps no-showed the opening day of training camp.

What is going on there?!

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Boy, it's just never-ending for this team, isn't it?

Today key veterans Reid Duke (Minnesota draft pick) and Macoy Erkamps no-showed the opening day of training camp.

What is going on there?!

Not surprising at all! This franchise is in total self-destruct mode. Its actually quite embarrassing.

@paulkingsmith: Mckechnie, Yakuboski, Pilon, Laurencelle, Erkamps and now, presumably, Duke have asked out of the @WHLHurricanes in the past year.

So with that you would think the team would make major offseason changes, but nope, they just stay the course and what do you know Duke and Erkamps dont report this year, just add more to the list.

It is so tough to watch players of Duke and Pilon's calibre do this, but really you cant blame any of the players for bailing on this sinking ship. It is in the best interest for them and their future in hockey. Keep following this and there will be more to do the same until changes are made, which in the case of the Hurricanes, may never happen.

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
Not surprising at all! This franchise is in total self-destruct mode. Its actually quite embarrassing.

@paulkingsmith: Mckechnie, Yakuboski, Pilon, Laurencelle, Erkamps and now, presumably, Duke have asked out of the @WHLHurricanes in the past year.

So with that you would think the team would make major offseason changes, but nope, they just stay the course and what do you know Duke and Erkamps dont report this year, just add more to the list.

It is so tough to watch players of Duke and Pilon's calibre do this, but really you cant blame any of the players for bailing on this sinking ship. It is in the best interest for them and their future in hockey. Keep following this and there will be more to do the same until changes are made, which in the case of the Hurricanes, may never happen.

I know Lethbridge is a mess and everything but it seems strange to me that an NHL draft pick would do this. Wouldn't the Wild be talking to his agent and advising him to remain with the team and do a request to be traded more discreetly? A lot of these requests/holdouts appear to be emotionally charged and it is such a shame that the kids who do want to engage the team positively are caught in the middle of this drama.

It's hard for me to imagine the management/coach is so awful that it warrants a mass exodus. The team's performance last year has to weigh heavily on their state of mind, they are just kids... competitive kids who don't like losing and see more of the same on the horizon. Without the details of what's really going on can we continue to dismiss the team and blame them.outright? I think some of this is immature emotional selfish nonsense and the blame that does land on the Hurricanes is by granting the first request in an attempt to get something for them instead of suspending them and leaving them to stew they have caused a chain reaction. I think they should suspend Duke and Erkamps indefinitely to stop the bleeding. The Wild/agent will probably bring Duke back into the fold pretty quickly in my opinion.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
What is causing this mass exodus? Is the lethbridge management mess the main cause or is it because of the losing environment the organization has had over the past few season? Or is a combination/multitude of factors?

Has there ever been an exodus like this in any other whl/chl organization in recent memory? I mean Portland had three consecutive seasons that were as/almost as bad as the season lethbridge just had a few years ago but I don't remember their players bailing on the team in this fashion. Prince George has also been a bottom dwelling team and had problems developing their top draft picks (eg. the Forsberg bros and not trading Alex when he wanted to bolt) yet there wasn't an abandon ship mentality with their players.

From an non-lethbridge fan perspective and not knowing how poorly the organization has been run over the last few years I would do as PG did with Alex Forsberg and just suspend Duke and Erkamps instead of trading them for as long as they decide not to return to the team. There really is no positives in trading them now as their value will be at an all time low so they would get fleeced the same way they did when Pilon was traded when he decided to bail. Appeasing these player's demands will only make lethbridge a no-go as a possible playing destination and sooner or later top picks who could help turn the team around will decide not to come in the first place effectively killing the franchise. Had Duke and Erkamps asked for a trade while still committing to the team in the meantime would have been one thing, the way they have decided to leave is just of poor taste.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
What is causing this mass exodus? Is the lethbridge management mess the main cause or is it because of the losing environment the organization has had over the past few season? Or is a combination/multitude of factors?

Has there ever been an exodus like this in any other whl/chl organization in recent memory? I mean Portland had three consecutive seasons that were as/almost as bad as the season lethbridge just had a few years ago but I don't remember their players bailing on the team in this fashion. Prince George has also been a bottom dwelling team and had problems developing their top draft picks (eg. the Forsberg bros and not trading Alex when he wanted to bolt) yet there wasn't an abandon ship mentality with their players.

From an non-lethbridge fan perspective and not knowing how poorly the organization has been run over the last few years I would do as PG did with Alex Forsberg and just suspend Duke and Erkamps instead of trading them for as long as they decide not to return to the team. There really is no positives in trading them now as their value will be at an all time low so they would get fleeced the same way they did when Pilon was traded when he decided to bail. Appeasing these player's demands will only make lethbridge a no-go as a possible playing destination and sooner or later top picks who could help turn the team around will decide not to come in the first place effectively killing the franchise. Had Duke and Erkamps asked for a trade while still committing to the team in the meantime would have been one thing, the way they have decided to leave is just of poor taste.

There are rumours its the new coach, but the GM has refused to make changes in that department. The board has refused to make changes too, so really its just a mess from the top down and this is the result.

Regarding keeping players and not trading them, it is definitely a hard spot to be in. Pillon and Duke are/were their best players and recent top 5 picks. Its definitely tough to not trade these assets and lose them for nothing, when you can trade them for something at least. As of right now, the Canes have suspended Duke and Erkamps, however there was some new that Duke was going to report to camp after all, however I haven't heard any more news on that.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
There are rumours its the new coach, but the GM has refused to make changes in that department. The board has refused to make changes too, so really its just a mess from the top down and this is the result.

Regarding keeping players and not trading them, it is definitely a hard spot to be in. Pillon and Duke are/were their best players and recent top 5 picks. Its definitely tough to not trade these assets and lose them for nothing, when you can trade them for something at least. As of right now, the Canes have suspended Duke and Erkamps, however there was some new that Duke was going to report to camp after all, however I haven't heard any more news on that.

Thanks for clarifying some of the problems with the team.

Btw how would the team lose the players for nothing? Alex Forsberg was suspended the whole year when he failed to report after Christmas break but he still couldn't sign with another WHL team after that season was over and ended up coming back to PG the following year. Do you mean losing the players for nothing in that they never play in the Dub again so Lethbridge loses them as an asset?

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Thanks for clarifying some of the problems with the team.

Btw how would the team lose the players for nothing? Alex Forsberg was suspended the whole year when he failed to report after Christmas break but he still couldn't sign with another WHL team after that season was over and ended up coming back to PG the following year. Do you mean losing the players for nothing in that they never play in the Dub again so Lethbridge loses them as an asset?

Ya, like for instance there were rumors of Duke going to the USHL but those were debunked.

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
Reid Duke has agreed to come back to the team.... That's a start in a positive direction.

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
Prince George has been a mess over the last five years with Corey Tyrell, and the Forsberg brothers, but they look good compared to Lethbridge. Hopefully you guys can get it figured out.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00