Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
It's curious that the same people that say that bullpens are volatile will point to prior year's BP record for the Yankees to suggest that they won't get much from further BP improvement.

In fact, the thesis of the fangraphs article occurs towards the end of it, and it doesn't quite support Quimby's point:

Sure, it feels like the Yankees won’t easily be able to improve relative to 2015, but that’s not the right comparison point — they’re improved, relative to what would’ve been expected. That’s what’s most critical. Chapman makes the Yankees better, compared to the Yankees without Chapman.

But here's probably the most important part of the article, especially as it pertains to the Jays:

"Here’s one way to see the effect of a great bullpen. We’ll go back to using those last 20 years. Teams with bullpen WPAs north of 10 have averaged 96.5 wins. Teams with bullpen WPAs between 9 – 10 have averaged 94.9 wins. Teams with bullpen WPAs between 8 – 9 have averaged 92.8 wins. Teams with bullpen WPAs between 7 – 8 have averaged 94.1 wins. Teams with bullpen WPAs between 6 – 7 have averaged 89.8 wins."

As you can see, bullpen seems to be pretty important. We really really really really need to significantly improve our bullpen.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We have a solid back end of the bullpen. Especially if Sanchez and Osuna continue to grow.

We have Chavez as the long-man, which is solid.

It's our middle relief guys. Currently we have Loup, Delabar, Tepera, Schultz. 2 of those 4 will get spots, and Loup is the only lefty.

Loup - Biagini - Delabar/Schultz/Tepera

Not very good.

Other option would be young arms. Connor Greene being the main candidate id think.

So ideally, we need to add a strong lefty, and a strong righty. I doubt the Jays will send Biagini back to whoever we drafted him from.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
We have a solid back end of the bullpen. Especially if Sanchez and Osuna continue to grow.

We have Chavez as the long-man, which is solid.

It's our middle relief guys. Currently we have Loup, Delabar, Tepera, Schultz. 2 of those 4 will get spots, and Loup is the only lefty.

Loup - Biagini - Delabar/Schultz/Tepera

Not very good.

Other option would be young arms. Connor Greene being the main candidate id think.

So ideally, we need to add a strong lefty, and a strong righty. I doubt the Jays will send Biagini back to whoever we drafted him from.

So like... Brett Cecil ? :laugh: ;) :sarcasm:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I feel like one more reliable reliever would make a world of difference. If I were putting the team together now, I would have Hutch as the fifth starter. With that in mind, they have a what I would consider to be four very, very strong bullpen pieces: three back-end guys in Cecil, Osuna and Sanchez, and a really strong long-man in Chavez. Loup is a decent piece with the chance for huge upside. The have some AAA-type depth, but ideally they don't have to give major league spots to two of them. Bring in one guy with a decent track record and you have enough strong pieces that you can afford to go with one high-upside risk as the seventh man. If they don't do anything else, the upside is still there, but it could be an extremely volatile pen without a whole lot of depth.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
And if Hutch starts the year in Buffalo, pushing either Chavez or Sanchez into the rotation, then they really have some work to do.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is it possible we add one more arm and go with a 6 man pen?

LR - Chavez (R)
MR - Loup (L)
MR - FA/Trade (R)
SU - Cecil (L)
SU - Sanchez (R)
CL - Osuna (R)

Edit: Forgot Biagini. So I suppose it's almost a certainty we go with a 7 man pen.

Last edited:

TOCap1

Nov 14, 2009
Toronto
I would love to see them take a chance on lincecum on a one year deal (maybe an option for a second)
Worst case he becomes another bullpen arm.

Has there been any reports on what he would be looking for yearly???

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I would love to see them take a chance on lincecum on a one year deal (maybe an option for a second)

I threw his name out there a few weeks back as a potential bullpen arm. The absolute most I'd be willing to give him is a 1 year deal loaded with incentives.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

He'll have a showcase this month but unless his hip adds an extra 3-4 miles back on his FB he'd probably die in a starting role here (which he is looking for).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad