Leon Draisaitl is one of the best playoff performers in NHL history

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I've been following the Oilers since the mid-1980s and have seen nearly all of Drai's games since mid 2019-20 (and many for years prior to that, of course).

My opinion is that the best hockey he's ever played was:
-- latter half (roughly) of 2019-20 regular season
-- first 20 games of 2021-22 regular season
-- 2022 playoffs (before third round, by which point he could barely skate)
-- 2024 playoffs

This past regular season, he was great as usual, but not as good as the season prior. In addition to his stats being down a bit this year (still elite, mind), he was making rather poor decisions in full control of the puck in his own zone all season. (My butt-cheeks were tired from all the clenching I was doing as he took control of pucks in the Oilers' end.)

So, I wasn't sure what he'd bring in the playoffs. But, once again, he flipped the switch and has been absolutely lights-out, nearly every game. He's also been completely reliable with the puck in dangerous spots. And he leads the playoffs in scoring. He also has a remarkable ability to win offensive zone face-offs (when he isn't tossed) when the Oil are on the PP, which has led to several goals.

He's already a legendary playoff performer in a rather strong list of Oilers playoff performers. I mean, he scored more points in a 5-game series than Gretzky ever did, and he's currently riding a longer from-start-of-playoff points streak than Gretzky ever had (still short of Messier's record, mind). When you're in that territory, you're doing well.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Hate the oilers with a passion but you can’t deny he literally is one of the greatest in all time.

What he does is literally on HOFer level it’s ridiculous.

Reactions: Sentinel

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I wouldn’t even say just Leaf fans. Plenty of antagonizing people on here that will nitpick on the dumbest shit because they cant accept history being made in front of their very eyes with a team they so dearly hate.

Not winning a game past the 2nd round is not "the dumbest shit". No amount of excuses can change that fact.

You can't call someone the greatest playoff performer ever when they've never come close to playing a full playoff. You just can't. Deal with it.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
you could have just said hes really good at hockey and deserves to be considered as one of the greatest playoff performers without bringing your insecurites into a conversation that has nothing to do with toronto or its players.
But that wouldn’t be as fun and it’s good to have a comparable

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I am pretty biased in favor of Draisaitl and wish him nothing but success. However, as unfair it may be on an individual level, he will not be considered one of the best playoff performers in history without winning at least a Cup. That's just the reality of it. Team 'luck' matters even for individual prestige. It's always been that way and they aren't going to change it for Draisaitl.

Reactions: SeanMoneyHands

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Not winning a game past the 2nd round is not "the dumbest shit". No amount of excuses can change that fact.

You can't call someone the greatest playoff performer ever when they've never come close to playing a full playoff. You just can't. Deal with it.
Talking like he’s supposed to play every position :laugh:

Don’t even pretend that 66 or 99 were some kind of selke level defensive players. They just had much better teams surrounding them.

would probably say the team he beat in the finals wasn't good enough or something.
10000%.

“Easiest road to a cup ever”

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Do you guys think he'll re-up in Edmonton or move on to like Florida or another contender?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
What does Phil Kessel have to do with this? You're the one arguing in bad faith with these fallacies.

The fact is Draisaitl hasn't won a game past the 2nd round. A major component of being a good playoff performer is having the endurance to though out the grind day in and day out for 2-3 months. How can we accurately judge Draisaitl's abilities as a playoff performer when he's never gone deep in the playoffs, let alone proclaim him to be the best playoff performer ever. Ridiculous.
Hey everyone, this guy is actually serious. :laugh:

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024

I'm not entirely sure how you managed this, but your post somehow makes less than zero sense. I am both perplexed, and confused.

• Haha
Reactions: greatwhitenorth

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Do you guys think he'll re-up in Edmonton or move on to like Florida or another contender?
Imo he definitely moves on via trade or FA. Unless Edmonton won a cup this season. Which is highly unlikely. I don't think he will stay just for the money. Edmonton's management has proven they are unable to get important pieces to a cup. I'd be stunned if he signed back up there.

Boston would be a legit contender with him. But if it's via trade, Edmonton will ask for a lot.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
You don't know hockey I take it. Draisaitl is responsible for a goalie letting in soft goals ? Zero credibility when people post crap. Gretzky had zero cups after leaving Edmonton I guess that was his fault as well.
Bourque didn't make Boston better. Good thing he made Colorado better that one year at the end of his career, though, or the Avs never would have won that cup.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
What does Phil Kessel have to do with this? You're the one arguing in bad faith with these fallacies.

The fact is Draisaitl hasn't won a game past the 2nd round. A major component of being a good playoff performer is having the endurance to though out the grind day in and day out for 2-3 months. How can we accurately judge Draisaitl's abilities as a playoff performer when he's never gone deep in the playoffs, let alone proclaim him to be the best playoff performer ever. Ridiculous.
Not sure what level of mental gymnastics is required to automatically equate the bolded with making it out of the 3rd round (against a vastly superior team) but you're outperforming Simone Biles right about now. Trying to rationalize a weak argument is always gonna be harder than simply being rational from the get go. You should consider trying the latter.

Draisaitl is an incredible playoff performer who hasn't made it to the cup finals yet. Both things can be true at the same time.

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
Draisaitl has typically been good in the early rounds of the playoffs, but I would like to see his performance in the Stanley Cup finals before giving him superlative praise of this magnitude. "NHL history" is a long time.

Reactions: Sentinel

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He is. There is no question about it.

Draisaitl has typically been good in the early rounds of the playoffs, but I would like to see his performance in the Stanley Cup finals before giving him superlative praise of this magnitude. "NHL history" is a long time.
He is on his his way. Took OV 13 years to get past the second round. Even though he played for top teams for years.
Even if you only count the first two rounds Draisaitls number blow OV out of the play off waters.....among other elite cup winning players

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Bourque didn't make Boston better. Good thing he made Colorado better that one year at the end of his career, though, or the Avs never would have won that cup.
wonder why the leafs can't get anyone to make them any better ......"God knows" they have...uh, er...... I mean "Mitch knows" they have brought in enough players, coaches, GMs and goalies.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad