Lehoux or Wellwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balk

Healthy Scratch
With all the interest people seem to have in Kyle Wellwood, I would find it interesting to see how you rate him against Lehoux who is not even in the Kings top 20 even though he is ripping up the AHL. You could also look at mike Cammalleri who is only an inch shorter than Wellwood, but has speed to burn.

Why is Wellwood so high on the Leafs depth chart and these two so low on the Kings? Is it that the Kings are so much better stocked for prospects or that the game these players play does not translate to the NHL?

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The Kings are indeed much better stocked for prospects than the Leafs and Wellwood is, as all things are in Toronto, over-hyped.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
having seen Wellwood play I don't think he's going to be an impact player at the NHL level so I'd just as soon go with Lehoux, who I haven't seen but who I therefore couldn't rule out his potential. I know what I'm getting with Wellwood, which is a smart, skilled player who lacks the size and speed necessary to play as a top 6 forward in the NHL (on a *good* team) and who's lack of size, grit and commitment to defense render him pretty useless as a 3rd/4th line role player. I don't think Wellwood is going to get the 'time and space' he needs to in order to create plays at the NHL level. He's not going to drive through guys, physically and create the space for himself and he won't beat anyone to the outside. He lacks the first step quickness in the offensize zone. Sorry, just my opinion. By the way, stats aside, you can see a guy like Stajan, who simply plays the game at a quicker pace, which is what really seperates the NHL from the minor leagues, is more suited to the NHL and will play there despite not having the puck skills Wellwood has.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Balk said:
With all the interest people seem to have in Kyle Wellwood, I would find it interesting to see how you rate him against Lehoux who is not even in the Kings top 20 even though he is ripping up the AHL. You could also look at mike Cammalleri who is only an inch shorter than Wellwood, but has speed to burn.

Why is Wellwood so high on the Leafs depth chart and these two so low on the Kings? Is it that the Kings are so much better stocked for prospects or that the game these players play does not translate to the NHL?

Great read :

Lehoux content to star in AHL, for now
Canadian Press
11/26/2004

Any other year and Yanick Lehoux probably would be in the NHL right now.

He's played so well for the AHL's Manchester Monarchs that the parent Los Angeles Kings surely would have promoted him to the big league. But the NHL's doors are shut, so Lehoux is staying put.

Coach Bruce Boudreau is giving him plenty of ice time now.

"When you're out there, you feel better and you feel more confident," said Lehoux. "Getting the chance to play on the power play, getting to play a lot _ that makes all the difference in the world. I'm playing twice as much now."

His numbers multiply.

It's a good chance for me to prove what I can do. A lot of good players from the NHL are playing in this league so if I can be one of the top forwards it'll be good for my career."

Kings GM Dave Taylor has been impressed.

"I'd like to be in the NHL as soon as possible," said Lehoux. "If there's no NHL this year, then next year I hope to make the jump."

Full Story : http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=106000

Personally he is playing well and getting noticed and recognition from his AHL Coach and NHL GM ... and that is all he can do as a prospect and strive to get better.

Now he needs an opportunity to prove it at the next level..

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
both of these guys will play at the NHL level in time. It's just a matter of the success they have there. Both are most definately NHL bound, though. They're simply too good at the AHL level to not give them a shot. Still, I believe Wellwood is simply a classic 'tweener' and for all the classic reasons.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
andora said:
age difference ?

Yannick Lehoux Center
Born Apr 8 1982 -- Montreal, PQ
Height 6.01 -- Weight 170 -- Shoots R
Selected by Los-Angeles Kings round 3 #86 overall 2000 NHL Entry Draft

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=43828

From HF site review:

Future

Yanick Lehoux is a pure offensive center. He currently is learning the other aspects of the game while starring in Manchester. If he wants a shot in the NHL, he needs to finish his checks, play defense, and generally play with more aggression.
The injuries to the Los Angeles Kings these last two seasons witnessed everyone and their mother called up from Manchester. Lehoux, on the other hand, never got a call which speaks volumes about where he is in his development. But the kid is too young and too explosive offensivley to give up on. At some point, the Kings will need to give Lehoux a shot to find out if they should fish or cut bait.

ETA - 2004-05

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
mooseOAK said:
I have this feeling that Lehoux will get more votes.
Yah I don't doubt that for a 2nd especially since all the Leafs Prospects are over hyped :shakehead To all the Anti Leaf fans our Prospects to them are over-rated beacuse they play for the Leafs!

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
The Messenger said:
Yannick Lehoux Center
Born Apr 8 1982 -- Montreal, PQ
Height 6.01 -- Weight 170 -- Shoots R
Selected by Los-Angeles Kings round 3 #86 overall 2000 NHL Entry Draft

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=43828

From HF site review:

Future

Yanick Lehoux is a pure offensive center. He currently is learning the other aspects of the game while starring in Manchester. If he wants a shot in the NHL, he needs to finish his checks, play defense, and generally play with more aggression.
The injuries to the Los Angeles Kings these last two seasons witnessed everyone and their mother called up from Manchester. Lehoux, on the other hand, never got a call which speaks volumes about where he is in his development. But the kid is too young and too explosive offensivley to give up on. At some point, the Kings will need to give Lehoux a shot to find out if they should fish or cut bait.

ETA - 2004-05

Lol! Whoever wrote that should be given a medal! What wit... what insight... what... brilliance. BTW - that part of the profile was all me.

It was largely written during this past offseason. Up until that point, Lehoux had been an utter disappointment from both organization and fan alike after signing a fat contract coming out of the Q. Believed to be an elite prospect when signed, Lehoux looked tenative and completely out of place on the ice in Manchester. He did not please anyone in the organization with lazy practices and on-ice efforts. He was in the Top 5-10 of Kings prospects a couple of years ago. But as he continued to disappoint, he began to fall in the rankings. But as I wrote in his profile, everyone could see glimpses of the offensive explosiveness that the organization knew he had (some were saying he has the best hands anyone had ever seen in the organization). The question was, when would he do it CONSISTENTLY. Up until this season, he had only been performing intermittenly. Unexplicably, he seems to have turned the corner and is finally putting it all together this season and showing exactly what he is capable of. However, I want to see (or hear from those who are in Manchester) him consistently working hard in practice and games for a full year.

Oh, and when the Kings do their midseason re-ranking, he'll be back in the Top 20. But where? :amazed:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
DeathFromAbove said:
Lol! Whoever wrote that should be given a medal! What wit... what insight... what... brilliance. BTW - that part of the profile was all me.

:snide:

DeathFromAbove said:
Oh, and when the Kings do their midseason re-ranking, he'll be back in the Top 20. But where? :amazed:

Like you've said(in essence), I don't think it's quite time to start casting him in the remake of "Return of the King" yet.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Balk said:
Why is Wellwood so high on the Leafs depth chart and these two so low on the Kings?

Lehoux was one of the King's top prospects. As you can see, DeathFromAbove said that he was viewed as an "elite prospect" when he signed. However a very dissapointing performance in the AHL causing his stock to drop considerably.

But he's having a great year and, as it's been stated, when the prospects are re-ranked he will be in their top 20. As he should be.

Balk said:
You could also look at mike Cammalleri who is only an inch shorter than Wellwood, but has speed to burn.

It's a complete mystery to me why Cammalleri is not listed in the King's top 20.

However looking at the number/letter rankings, Cammalleri is about 5th highest on the Kings which is more along the lines of where he belongs.

CH Wizard

I'd take Lehoux.The guy is very impresive in the AHL , I like Wellwood too though.

It's tough at this point.I don't know about potential though , I think both have nice upside.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leaf Army said:
It's a complete mystery to me why Cammalleri is not listed in the King's top 20.

However looking at the number/letter rankings, Cammalleri is about 5th highest on the Kings which is more along the lines of where he belongs.

Cammer was in the NHL and last year the prospect games allowed was 41 and since has been upped to 65 games for eligibility as a prospect and has not yet been re-ranked .. However 3-5 range would be about right ... Since the kings have 3 prospects in the TOP 50 perhaps 4 or 5th would be where he would be ..

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Balk said:

The Messenger said:
Cammer was in the NHL and last year the prospect games allowed was 41 and since has been upped to 65 games for eligibility as a prospect and has not yet been re-ranked .. However 3-5 range would be about right ... Since the kings have 3 prospects in the TOP 50 perhaps 4 or 5th would be where he would be ..

Question answered.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
The Messenger said:

Beat me to it.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
personally..i'd take Lehoux...

BUT

If I'm to go with a gut feeling...I think we're talking about two Steve Maltais types of players. Bigtime scorers in the minors, never more than cup of coffee in the NHL. Just a hunch, but more so with Wellwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad