Prospect Info: Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Right now, which players drafted after Morin would you trade him for straight up?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Right now, which players drafted after Morin would you trade him for straight up?

Way too early to tell but the only one I would even consider would be Mirco Mueller. Morin has a way bigger upside so probably not.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Fazleev is promising, what about Kubel? Dude was slick in the training and exhibition games.

NAK has NHL calibre hockey sense to go with speed and skill. He's going to play in the league. Let's see if he can crack the WJC team next year.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

I wanted Pulock at the time.

I still think he would have been a good pick.

I also really liked Morrissey and Theodore, and I think they would have been good picks as well.

Not sure at this point I'd trade Morin for any of those straight up, but I do think any of those would have been fine selections.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
yeah way to early to decide who would you rather have if you didn't take Morin. The kid does seem to have a pretty high ceiling I will say that but it may take him a little bit longer to reach it than some of the other players drafted around him.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
yeah way to early to decide who would you rather have if you didn't take Morin. The kid does seem to have a pretty high ceiling I will say that but it may take him a little bit longer to reach it than some of the other players drafted around him.
This was pretty much known when he was drafted. They didn't take him for what he could be in 3 years. They took him for what he could be in 8 years. Zadorov, Morrissey, and Mueller are better right now, were better when they were drafted, but unlike those guys I don't think Morin is close to his peak. Sure that also means he carries some risk, but if you want that #1 guy, you have to take a chance. He's going to be good, you just have to be patient.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, we already have a guy who's similar to Morin, think about Coburn a decade ago. That might be a more realistic expectation, question is whether Morin has the mental makeup to be a more consistent version of Coburn (which would make him the defensive partner on a 1st pairing). I think expecting more right now is wishful thinking until he shows exceptional offensive skills.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Way too early to tell but the only one I would even consider would be Mirco Mueller. Morin has a way bigger upside so probably not.

I was pulling for the Flyers to select Sam and they made my wish come true. This young man is the kind of juice this team lacks on the back end and he just wants to get better and better. He is going to be a real pisser to play against and when he grows up watch out... no more cheap shots on G.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
If Coburn had Morins temperment he'd be a much better player.

Coburn also had offensive chops early in his career. I'm not sure where it went but he is only a defensive dman now. Morin has 40pt upside ... Hopefully it becomes consistent. That's a #1 anyway you slice it.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I never had a horse in the 2013 draft. The only players I really wanted where top 5 guys.

It felt like after the 6th or so, pick the draft kind of melded together, and the next 15 picks were very similar in terms of skill.

I would have been fine with Pulock, Morrissey, Morin, Zadorov, or Mueller. But, I am very happy with the Morin pick, the guy has so much upside.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm fine with Morim cause Ristolainen was my guy. I think he'll be as good as Jones, maybe better.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
This was pretty much known when he was drafted. They didn't take him for what he could be in 3 years. They took him for what he could be in 8 years. Zadorov, Morrissey, and Mueller are better right now, were better when they were drafted, but unlike those guys I don't think Morin is close to his peak. Sure that also means he carries some risk, but if you want that #1 guy, you have to take a chance. He's going to be good, you just have to be patient.

oh I know. I just hope everyone realizes that. Some fans are pretty impatient with the development of some of our younger players. I trust Hextall and the braintrust to me more patient. Cant say I would be saying that with Holmgren.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Sportscenter's doing their annual end of the year moments and of course Buccigross' moment is Shayne Gostisbehere's National Championship performance. :laugh: The man crush is still strong.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
Coburn also had offensive chops early in his career. I'm not sure where it went but he is only a defensive dman now. Morin has 40pt upside ... Hopefully it becomes consistent. That's a #1 anyway you slice it.

Puck to the face in the 07 season.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
He really hasn't been the same since...

I can't wait for morin to come in and provide some toughness to the back end...that game vs the jets really showed how soft we have become

People always say this. The puck to face likely had absolutely nothing to do with how coburns game developed. Nothing more than a coincidence.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
People always say this. The puck to face likely had absolutely nothing to do with how coburns game developed. Nothing more than a coincidence.

I'll agree to disagree with you on this. Prior to the puck in the face, Coburn looked like a legitimate two-way defender and there was a confidence and swagger to his game. After that puck to the face, his game changed. He started playing tentative and afraid that he would take another puck to the face. His game digressed big time after that. Part of it was that the coaching staff at the time (John Stevens and co.) never challenged Coburn to get back to being the player he was. Instead, they coddled him and protected him. They needed to challenge him and get him back playing to the way he did before taking the puck in the face. So, I guess it's kind of two fold in terms of Coburn - the puck in the face started the change in his game and the coaching staff at the time continued.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

This is the truth. It's become a mantra with Flyers fans that before he got hit Coburn actually had offensive talent. He never did, not to any real extent. He's not gunshy, he just has no offensive instincts. You can see it when he handles the puck. He has a decent shot, not particularly accurate, that he occasionally gets off cleanly. And he can bull-rush the puck to center ice and dump it That's all he's ever really shown at the NHL level. His scouting report from this web site basically had him pegged:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/braydon_coburn/

But neither offensively gifted nor a physical force, Coburn’s career hinges on him being very solidly defensively, and that’s where he needs to improve.

He turned into the player he was predicted to be.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
A major back injury or leg injury could tell the story of a players career. Not a puck to the face. He became what scouts thought he would. Never developed the offense. Morin has better offensive instincts than Coburn offensively and the defense will need to adjust to the pro level. He has that booming accurate shot as well which Coburn doesn't have.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He doesn't really have an accurate shot, yet. I mean he gets pucks on net, but he doesn't really have the placement that Sanheim has. Sanheim doesn't really have a heavy shot, but he's a sniper when he gets into a scoring area.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
As long as he can use a hard slapper that stays below the cross bar it's what you want. Deflections and tips are perfect from the ice to there. If he can gain more control that's ideal. If he can learn the pronger in front of the net as well. Then wow. Most importantly it's skating and puck handling. Great break out passes as well. These things we have seen glimpses of andi think will improve with time practice and maturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad