Legendary broadcaster Bob Cole passes away at 90

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
When I read this today in the news, I literally paused what I was doing, thought of all my memories growing up, watching hockey has a young boy many years ago with my father (RIP who passed away too young). Throughout all those memories watching hockey with my father, Bob Cole's voice & commentary was in the background. So many of my positive memories of hockey and a few with my father, involved Bob Cole indirectly in the background.

Thank you Bob for all your years of service and memories. RIP
Beautifully said.

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
Here to pay my respect to a legend. As many have already said, he was the voice of hockey during my childhood. Thanks for the memories Mr. Cole, nobody called it better.

All the best to his nearest and dearest.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Still gives me the chills.
RIP Bob Cole.

My favorite Bob Cole moment was not heard by many. I was watching a satellite live feed, so you got to hear the commentators and colour guys talk during commercial breaks. Bob Cole, when the Gretzky-less Oilers were about to clinch there 5th Stanley Cup, ‘Can you believe it, they going to f***ing win again’. 🤣

Last edited:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
RIP to a true great.

My prayer will be that every sports broadcaster will take a lesson from his passing: there are times to amp up the drama and there are times to be silent, to let the sounds of the game tell the story. Cole was one of the last who truly understood that.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Voice of many generations.
Everything isn't happening anymore :-(
RIP Bob

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
When I read this today in the news, I literally paused what I was doing, thought of all my memories growing up, watching hockey has a young boy many years ago with my father (RIP who passed away too young). Throughout all those memories watching hockey with my father, Bob Cole's voice & commentary was in the background. So many of my positive memories of hockey and a few with my father, involved Bob Cole indirectly in the background.

Thank you Bob for all your years of service and memories. RIP

Yep exactly. All I remembered right away was his voice calling games from when I was a kid and got massive nostalgia. Me and my dad watching hockey together on an old CRT with only CBC available. He was a very special part of our living rooms.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The absolute top tier of PBP. A legend. A true hockey fan. And the ONLY CBC announcer who wasn't a leafs homer. We'll never someone of his quality again. RIP

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
The best part of having Center Ice back in the day in the States was getting to watch HNIC and listen to Bob Cole when he was still kickin. Amazing voice.

Reactions: JoeGarelli

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
To echo others Bob Cole along with Harry Neale to me were the voices of Saturday nights growing up.

A simple but very effective delivery every week. So many great calls. Oh Baby is the one that junps out but a voice that won't be replaced.

RIP Bob

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The best to ever do it, and in my opinion it really isn't all that close. Always enjoyed his calls, even when he'd lost his fastball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad