Left Wing: What if?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Verhaeghe (L1 84) - $4.16m - Finn, Gibson, Nilsson, Beck, Verhaeghe were traded for Grabner - 2023-24 - 25G - 26A
Hyman (L2 83) walked for nothing - $5.5m cap hit (Bert makes $5.5 mil) 2023-24 30G -17A
Marchment (L3 78) - was traded for Malgin - 2023-24 - 16G 23A

CapFriendly player ratings: L1 is 1st line, L2 is 2nd line, L3 is 3rd line

What if these three players were still with the Leafs? Would they have become the players they are today? Would we have gotten closer to the Cup? All three are players Toronto needs now... If you exchange the cap hit for Bert, Domi, Brodie and Reaves and a couple of league min contracts you could fit all four players under our cap.

Durzi is looking pretty good too.

Is the fix for today worth the pain tomorrow? What could have been...

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Verhaeghe (L1 84) - $4.16m - Finn, Gibson, Nilsson, Beck, Verhaeghe were traded for Grabner - 2023-24 - 25G - 26A
Hyman (L2 83) walked for nothing - $5.5m cap hit (Bert makes $5.5 mil) 2023-24 30G -17A

What if these three players were still with the Leafs? Would they have become the players they are today? Would we have gotten closer to the Cup? All three are players Toronto needs now... If you exchange the cap hit for Bert, Domi, Brodie and Reaves and a couple of league min contracts you could fit all four players under our cap.

We now have Steeves in the same boat in that will he ever get a chance here. And he has produced better numbers then the guys mentioned at this stage of there careers. It has been a problem for years with toronto not developing and also identifying what they have, Dakota Joshua is another we just gave up on.

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
We now have Steeves in the same boat in that will he ever get a chance here. And he has produced better numbers then the guys mentioned at this stage of there careers. It has been a problem for years with toronto not developing and also identifying what they have, Dakota Joshua is another we just gave up on.
I followed Dakota's collegiate career and was disappointed when we did not hang on to him ...

Reactions: Menzinger

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

DJ is another good one 4th line grinder big body. I forgot about Grundstrom who is a 4th liner with LA. Steeves is every bit as good as some of the fringe NHLers we currently have in the line up.

Reactions: arso40

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I followed Dakota's collegiate career and was disappointed when we did not hang on to him ...

He's an interesting case. I wonder if his camp simply didn't want to sign an elc see here and the Leafs just expedited the process. Haven't heard much from the media about what happened though.

Verhaeghe and Marchment were already in the system, but seemingly failed to make an impact with the right people in the organizations development staff. Dakota didn't even make it that far

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021

As I have said, our pro scouts must be terrible or our gm never listens.

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
He's an interesting case. I wonder if his camp simply didn't want to sign an elc see here and the Leafs just expedited the process. Haven't heard much from the media about what happened though.

Verhaeghe and Marchment were already in the system, but seemingly failed to make an impact with the right people in the organizations development staff. Dakota didn't even make it that far

I do know he did an interview while in school ... he was raised by a single mother and he commented how good the Leafs treated him and his mom and how appreciative he was ... no idea what happened... traded for future considerations ... maybe time to claim them in the parayko trade lol

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If I recall, there weren't too many that cared about losing Verhaeghe at the time, and the majority also felt that 7 (or 8) X 5.5M for Hyman was also a bad idea.

If only we had some foresight instead of nothing but hindsight.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Thing is Verhaeghe was just into his AHL career before Lou dumped him… it was an odd move at the time because they were in a rebuild and the org lacked centre depth in the pipeline (was drafted as a centre), and looks horrific in hindsight

Funny that Lou let him go again in the Isles, and his career started to take off in Tampa.

Then again if he doesn’t go through that grind in the minors, maybe he doesn’t become that high of an impact player

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As I have said, our pro scouts must be terrible or our gm never listens.
Or both

Thing is Verhaeghe was just into his AHL career before Lou dumped him… it was an odd move at the time because they were in a rebuild and the org lacked centre depth in the pipeline (was drafted as a centre), and looks horrific in hindsight

Funny that Lou let him go again in the Isles, and his career started to take off in Tampa.

Then again if he doesn’t go through that grind in the minors, maybe he doesn’t become that high of an impact player
I think if he didn’t get dump by both Leafs and Islanders, he would not be the player he is today.

He will most likely be playing in Europe if he stayed with the Leafs

Reactions: Niagara Bill

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If I recall, there weren't too many that cared about losing Verhaeghe at the time, and the majority also felt that 7 (or 8) X 5.5M for Hyman was also a bad idea.

If only we had some foresight instead of nothing but hindsight.
If they didn't have the JT deal I think there is a good chance Hyman gets extended. By 2021 Tavares was not looking like a force and Hymans game didn't project to age well so less money for the D but now with two declining forwards? I think it was the smart call at the time and I don't think KD let him walk lightly. Although without the Tavares spend I think they have Hamilton so maybe no money for Zach anyhow.

I don't look at the guys that are succeeding with other teams the way some do. I think the bouncing around and clawing for the brass ring is maybe what made these guys. If they want to show foresight how about re-sign Benoit before he works his was into the top pair FFS :) JK but even going back to Dubas it seems like the club wants to watch players thrive for so long they have to pay them peak money. Schenn, Bush? So they walk as not cap friendly but the club signs Kampf for 4 years :laugh:

Sep 18, 2009
I’ll be honest, what ifs bore me. I’d rather focus on how we win from where we are than dwell on mistakes made along the way.
So, before you dismiss something as boring or irrelevant, remember, if you truly want to understand the present or yourself, you must begin in the past. You see, history is not simply the study of the past. It is an explanation of the present.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.

Interesting that you go over all these guys that we moved on from too soon but at the same time you say this about Nick Robertson:
Nic is nothing special, not sure why fans fall in love with a guy that can't stay on his feet, is often injured and plays like a 3rd/4th liner liner. He's fine I suppose till he is due for his Kampft like increase in his pay cheque, if Tre is smart, Nic gets traded before you sign a barely 3rd liner to a 2 mil contract.

The measure of the value of a player is how easily can you replace him. there are at least 2 guys on the farm that could step in today and do as well as Nic.
Why are you willing to throw away a 22 year old 2nd round pick who's just beginning to get his feet wet?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
So, before you dismiss something as boring or irrelevant, remember, if you truly want to understand the present or yourself, you must begin in the past. You see, history is not simply the study of the past. It is an explanation of the present.

Well I certainly never said or implied that it’s irrelevant or should be disregarded. Can’t change it though, so beating the past to death, which is often what is done here, is boring.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Interesting that you go over all these guys that we moved on from too soon but at the same time you say this about Nick Robertson:

Why are you willing to throw away a 22 year old 2nd round pick who's just beginning to get his feet wet?
Lol good catch. The double standard is funny.
If Robertson is nothing special, well than so wasn't Verhaegee

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Hindsight brings massive L's.

The amount of L's speaks a lot about past GMs. How different things could have been if we were never introduced to Lou and then his sidekick Dubas.

Reactions: Hellcat and arso40

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Having all three players at LW seems like one too many (in particular, the LW who ends up on the third line might work out to be needlessly expensive and underutilized).

Reactions: arso40

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I dont think many players can handle the Toronto pressure from fans and media. Thats why they play ok or suck here and thrive in other places, were nobody know who they are outside the arena .

• Love
Reactions: Hellcat

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Fair comment, two of those guys are power forwards, they have the ability to engage opponents and stay on their feet, Nik not so much. Nik unfortunately wants to play like those guys, a power forward game, but has the size of a middle school boy and gets creamed more times that a Tim Hortons coffee. He does not know who he is. Hyman, Marchment Carter always played the way they do today.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You find room for players like Hyman. That’s an epic fail on management’s part. The only thing worse is if he was a defenseman.

Reactions: Hellcat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad