Confirmed with Link: Lefebvre relieved of his duties. Search for a new coach in Laval thread

Who Should Be Laval's Next Coach?

• Total voters

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Crazy huh how quiet it is since the season ended. What exactly does the management team do Day in and day out? There is so much in disarray that I find it hard to believe that Only Lefebvre has been held accountable so far.

I am just about to walk away from this fabled franchise until real changes are made.

I would have never imagined myself despising this franchise this much, thanks to a clueless owner and and even more clueless GM.

Do it

Jul 6, 2016
Ducharme had a job interview with the Caps org to become Hearshy Bears head coach in the AHL.

His junior team has been eliminated, and MB did not seem to have made contact with him.

I guess they are waiting for Joel Bouchard to finish his season at B&B, before giving him the Laval’s job.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Thanks for that.

I hope Ducharme has at least been interviewed by the Habs.

However, if he still hasn't ... then ownership needs to step in and make sure they are really leaving no stone unturned, as they claim.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks for that.

However, if he still hasn't ... then ownership needs to step in and make sure they are really leaving no stone unturned, as they claim.
"No stone left unturned" should become Molson's epitaph.

"Here lies Geoffrey Eric Molson 1970-20xx. His team never won the big one, but he left no stone unturned"

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Or is Ducharme being interviewed covertly?

They're on a secret agent kick, with their cone-of-silence approach to ward off "other GMs who may be listening" and their infamous secret plan.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Thanks for that.

Exactly. Whether they feel he's the man for the job or not is up to them. But it would be a wrong if they didn't even reach out.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
They're afraid of hiring a coach that will want to win at all cost. They want another Sly, the philosophy wont change.

I personally think there are better coaches than Ducharme the Habs could hire (Joel Bouchard, Tourigny, Gilles Bouchard, Éric Veilleux, Benoît Groulx, Philippe Boucher). There are plenty of really good francophone coaches out there. I would be devastated if they hire Pascal Vincent though.

For those who don't know what type of coach Pascal Vincent is, he LOVES his defensive hockey. In 2011, former Habs assistant coach and then Rimouski's Head coach, Clément Jodoin,made fun of how scared Vincent's team played by asking his players to pass the puck to each other until the Junior (red team) would actually forecheck and not just wait back. Now personally, I don't want to see this guy near any of our prospects. He may have changed and learned more tricks, but deep down, he is still a defensive coach. I know people will bring up his success in the AHL with Winnipeg's farm team, but Winnipeg has one of if not the the best prospect pool in the NHL, so that doesn't impress me one bit. He is not a modern coach by any mean.

That sequence reminds me of what the Flyers later did to make fun of Guy Boucher's system, but personally I believe Pascal Vincent is much worse when it comes to passive hockey than Boucher's 1-3-1.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I personally think there are better coaches than Ducharme the Habs could hire (Joel Bouchard, Tourigny, Gilles Bouchard). There are plenty of really good francophone coaches out there. I would be devastated if they hire Pascal Vincent though.

For those who don't know what type of coach Pascal Vincent is, he LOVES his defensive hockey. In 2011, former Habs assistant coach and then Rimouski's Head coach, Clément Jodoin,made fun of how scared Vincent's team played by asking his players to pass the puck to each other until the Junior (red team) would actually forecheck and not just wait back. Now personally, I don't want to see this guy near any of our prospects. He may have changed and learned more tricks, but deep down, he is still a defensive coach. I know people will bring up his success in the AHL with Winnipeg's farm team, but Winnipeg has one of if not the the best prospect pool in the NHL, so that doesn't impress me one bit. He is not a modern coach by any mean.

I'm curious outside of Kyle Connor what success did he have with Winnipeg's AHL team? I see a bunch of 10-20 points guys and Connor. It's still early he's been there 2 years only but people talk about him like if 5 or 6 guys who played for him in the AHL had success at the NHL level.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I personally think there are better coaches than Ducharme the Habs could hire (Joel Bouchard, Tourigny, Gilles Bouchard). There are plenty of really good francophone coaches out there. I would be devastated if they hire Pascal Vincent though.

The philosophy I'm referring to not defensive vs offense. It's about the importance winning in development. They don't prioritize winning as a big part of development, they focus on giving prospects top roles even if the vets are better at it, thus sacrificing the result. Stephane Lebeau had an interview a couple weeks ago on 91.9 and was pretty certain that the reason he was let go of after only one season was that he believed you had to win in order to develop, or at least have some sort of balance in that regard and he clashed with the organization because of it. I think however, Bergevin wanted Laval to win this season, but a lot of the call ups made it tough. That's why I believe Sly was given the benefit of the doubt all these years even if he never won anything, he did everything Bergevin wanted him to.

That's why I see Bergevin making changes in the amateur scouting sector, not only in personel, but in philosophy rather than in the AHL. I think everyone stays in Laval... Lefebvre was some sort of scapegoat, and I'm not defending him. No one got the job done all these years, including Bergevin. But I believe he sees the problem in drafting rather than development.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I just hope they put the emphasis on players that can handle the puck in tight areas, escape pressure and drive the play. Enough with the stone hands and linear players.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I personally think there are better coaches than Ducharme the Habs could hire (Joel Bouchard, Tourigny, Gilles Bouchard, Éric Veilleux, Benoît Groulx, Philippe Boucher). There are plenty of really good francophone coaches out there. I would be devastated if they hire Pascal Vincent though.

That sequence reminds me of what the Flyers later did to make fun of Guy Boucher's system, but personally I believe Pascal Vincent is much worse when it comes to passive hockey than Boucher's 1-3-1.

your kidding Tourigny better then Ducharme ? he is the more overrated coach in the JR for me .. he never won something

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
For me, if Ducharme isn't the next coach of the Rocket, I want it to be Bouchard. Ideally, I want them both in the organization. But if I have at least one of the two, I will be happy.

Reactions: groovejuice

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
your kidding Tourigny better then Ducharme ? he is the more overrated coach in the JR for me .. he never won something

He has had a lot of success in the 'Q, although you're right he never won anything. He is a good prospect developer in my mind and kept Rouyn Noranda competitive most years despite having a much smaller budgets than the big guns like Québec, Moncton and Halifax.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For me, if Ducharme isn't the next coach of the Rocket, I want it to be Bouchard. Ideally, I want them both in the organization. But if I have at least one of the two, I will be happy.

FWIW, Mikael Lalancette who follows the Q closely as well as other TVA Sport pundits were adamant yesterday that it's going to take a high level position for the Habs to have a shot at Bouchard. Apparently, the other teams that are looking to lure in Bouchard, are willing to provide significant responsibilities within their organizations, so just having him named the coach of the Rocket, won't cut it according to them.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
FWIW, Mikael Lalancette who follows the Q closely as well as other TVA Sport pundits were adamant yesterday that it's going to take a high level position for the Habs to have a shot at Bouchard. Apparently, the other teams that are looking to lure in Bouchard, are willing to provide significant responsibilities within their organizations, so just having him named the coach of the Rocket, won't cut it according to them.

Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad