Line Combos: Lee Stempniak place in the roster

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Its awesome we got him for cheap. He has a higher ppg% then pouliot who is realistically being brought in to replace. He also can skate really fast. Yet I keep seeing him being put on 4th line predictions. I am not sure I understand. He went form being 1st line RW on the penguins to rangers 4rth line?

I don't think he is going to be in our top 6 by any means but putting him on the 4rth seams rather weird to me. Yes AV roles 4 lines and they all ussually got a lot of minutes. However the 4th played around 5 minutes a game the players on that line hit 10 minutes because of their time on the PK. Lee wont be playing on the PK. So he is going to play 4-5 minutes a night for us? Seams silly to me.

Also same concern with the influx of people wanting to put developing prospects in rookie season on the 4rth line. We want to give young and in experienced players the hardest shifts and no real ice time to develop? Sounds like a bad idea to me.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Stempniak has killed penalties the last 3 seasons. Averaging over a minute per game on the PK and close to 2 minutes a couple seasons back.

Right now, he's in Pouliot's spot in the lineup. That cam change with our prospects battling in camp. Tons of competition. Doubt he moves anywhere else buy into a 4th line role if a prospect does really well that will be on the wing.

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
Nash-Brass-MSL
Kreider-Step-Zucc
Hags-Miller/Lindberg-Hayers
Glass/Lombardi-Moore-Stemp/Fast

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Stempniak has killed penalties the last 3 seasons. Averaging over a minute per game on the PK and close to 2 minutes a couple seasons back.

Right now, he's in Pouliot's spot in the lineup. That cam change with our prospects battling in camp. Tons of competition. Doubt he moves anywhere else buy into a 4th line role if a prospect does really well that will be on the wing.

With Moore Hags Lombardi Nash Glass and Stepan all active PK'ers for us do you think they will bump any one of them for Stemp? Lombardi is a PK expert as Glass is a puck blocking machine like Boyle was.

Thank you for a serious response unlike this guy
Nash-Brass-MSL
Kreider-Step-Zucc
Hags-Miller/Lindberg-Hayers
Glass/Lombardi-Moore-Stemp/Fast

All cool thanks for all the information about why you selected this since it all makes a ton of sense

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
I'd say Stempniak's role depends largely on how Hayes looks. If Hayes plays his way onto the 3rd line, we'll probably see Stempniak on the 4th. If Hayes doesn't make the team out of camp, if he gets sent down later, Stempniak will move up.

Let's not forget that there will inevitably be injuries that necessitate line shuffling. I imagine Stempniak will be a band-aid player gets moved around in that situation.

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
Sorry, I will hold you hand now.

Stemp is a good PK, good defensivly, good speed, and pretty good possession guy. With Lombardi and moore with him on the 4th line, you have a good forechecking line that will be defensively responsible as well be able to cycle deep in the offensive zone and chip in 30-50 goals hopefully on the year.

And I am not sure why you bring up his 1st line play with Pitt, he only played 21 games and ended with 4 goals and 7 assists. He is not the player he was 8 years ago. Thats the reason we got him for cheap

Now for the line breakdown.

Nash hasn't really clicked with Step, Step and Kreider have clicked more. Nash does have experience with Brass, and this would allow him to slide over to his natural position at LW. Also, Zucc and MSL can be flipped, but I feel this would give the Rangers good balance.

And I think Hayes will outplay Stemp for the third line.

Better?

And just because you don't understand the lines i am putting together, doesn't mean it wasn't a serious reply. I mean the third title is "LINE COMBOS: Lee Stempniak place in the roster", which in my opinion will shake out to be the 4th line.

drops-mic.gif

Last edited:

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
Remember that Stempniak is going to get pk time as well so even if he is on the fourth line he will still get his minutes. Also, as another poster mentioned there will inevitably be some injuries. It's always usefull to have some experienced depth players.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
3rd line rw likely but if Hayes takes a spot then 4th line

I like the stempniak signing a lot

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
There will be a lot of juggling this year to see who fits. I wasn't very happy with the roster after signing glass BUT after getting Hayes I believe we can be really deep. When Stempniak is a 4th liner on your team you're doing something right. But stemp will see time with 3rd/4th line depending on who's healthy and who's hot. We don't have your typical 1st-4th lines. He'll get plenty of PK as well

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Don't like Brass together with Nash, and taking away Brass from Zucc.

Nash-Stepan-MSL
Kreider-Brass-Zucc
Hagelin-Miller-Stemp/Hayes
Lombardi-Moore-Stemp/Glass/Fast

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
Don't like Brass together with Nash, and taking away Brass from Zucc.

Nash-Stepan-MSL
Kreider-Brass-Zucc
Hagelin-Miller-Stemp/Hayes
Lombardi-Moore-Stemp/Glass/Fast

Understandable, but some of Nashes best seasons in Columbus came with Brass as his center, and You can always put Nash - Brass - Zucc, Kreider - Step - MSL. To be honest, Kreider and Step combo made that line go, not Nash

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He's in competition for the 3W spot. He'll see time on the PK and the PP likely. He is one of just 2 right handed shots we have in the forward corps.

We will be VERY lucky if a kid comes in and pushes Stemp to the fourth line. Our depth, despite our lack there of at center, will rival last year's roster if Stemp is a fourth liner.

I suppose it's impossible to predict before camp. Seeing as maybe the Rangers aren't even done. We could still see a trade, or a vet come in on a PTO and play well enough to crack the roster. A shame the Glass signing happened. Could really put that $1.45m to better use. Kicking an old tire here, but Malhotra or Skille would've been far better investments for our fourth line. No good use can come complaining about that, though.

As for predictions how it shakes out?

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Stemp - Brass - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Miller - MSL
Glass (for the first week of the season, then Bourque) - Moore - Lombardi

I don't think Hayes makes the roster in October.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
With Moore Hags Lombardi Nash Glass and Stepan all active PK'ers for us do you think they will bump any one of them for Stemp? Lombardi is a PK expert as Glass is a puck blocking machine like Boyle was.

Thank you for a serious response unlike this guy

All cool thanks for all the information about why you selected this since it all makes a ton of sense

I would remove Nash. Get him out there in scoring situations. Did he do a good job in that role? Yes he did, but we need to out him out there more for ES and PP. Guys like Stempniak and Glass can fill in spots. If Fast makes the team, he can PK too. Lindberg as well.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I would remove Nash. Get him out there in scoring situations. Did he do a good job in that role? Yes he did, but we need to out him out there more for ES and PP. Guys like Stempniak and Glass can fill in spots. If Fast makes the team, he can PK too. Lindberg as well.

Fair enough.

KreiMeARiver*

He's in competition for the 3W spot. He'll see time on the PK and the PP likely. He is one of just 2 right handed shots we have in the forward corps.

We will be VERY lucky if a kid comes in and pushes Stemp to the fourth line. Our depth, despite our lack there of at center, will rival last year's roster if Stemp is a fourth liner.

I suppose it's impossible to predict before camp. Seeing as maybe the Rangers aren't even done. We could still see a trade, or a vet come in on a PTO and play well enough to crack the roster. A shame the Glass signing happened. Could really put that $1.45m to better use. Kicking an old tire here, but Malhotra or Skille would've been far better investments for our fourth line. No good use can come complaining about that, though.

As for predictions how it shakes out?

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Stemp - Brass - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Miller - MSL
Glass (for the first week of the season, then Bourque) - Moore - Lombardi

I don't think Hayes makes the roster in October.

this doesn't upset me one bit... especially the whole 1 week of Glass, thing. haha

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
In no particular order as I believe that AV will change this (order) regularly.

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Hagelin - Miller - St. Louis
Hayes - Brassard - Zucca
Lombardi - Moore - Stempniak

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Part of what made the Rangers dangerous last season was three good scoring lines.

Any set of lines that puts any two of Nash, MSL or Zucca on the same line cancels out the offensive depth we will have.

Brassard and Zucca have chemistry, they have to be left together.

during the strick shortened season Stepan and Nash were tearing it up together. I have no doubt that they can get back to 60-70 point level production they were sporting that season.

Leaving Hagelin and MSL.

Hags is 25 (26 in 2 days) he's got over 150 game sin the last 2 seasons (including the strike shortened season) he's no prospect anymore. He's a young player. A good young player that knows the defensive side of the game very well.

I think that a smart veteran player like MSL knows how to incorporate his style of play with those of his teammates. Having a defensive concious like Hagelin and a savvy Vet like MSL flanking Miller will allow his game to develope nicely.

Leaving Hayes or Stempniak to play with Brass and Zucca.

I think that Lee was brought in here to replace Poo. But i also believe that THAT move was made without any thought of being able to get Hayes. The fact that we got both means that there is no place in the line up for Tanner Glass.

I think the line up I posted spreads the offensive wealth as well as maintaining a balance of youth and vets (4th line aside)

Thesensation19*

I would love to try out this

Kreider/Nash - Stepan - MSL
Nash/Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hagelin - JT Miller/Hayes - Stempniak
Glass/Lombardi - Moore - Hayes/Miller

Fast, Lindberg

PavelBure9

Jul 31, 2007
Krieder - Stepan - St Louis

A line that can be an effective 1st or 2nd line. Stepan knows how to effectively use Kreiders speed to the fullest and I think St Louis can set both of these players up. Stepan is due for a second breakout season, especially with this being his big contract year.

Nash - Brassard - Zuccarello

Who can replace Pouliot on this line? It could be Hayes, but the player that fits the bill as of now is Nash. He can cycle and be the byproduct of both these players having chemistry. What is Nash? A finisher, and he needs to finish this year. Again, Zucc is in a big contract year, this is important for him to make his money.

Hagelin - Lindberg - Stempniak/Fast
Or
Hagelin - Miller - Hayes

If it's the former, it could be a shutdown line that provides good energy and brings a goal here and there. Lindberg is a very good defensive player and with a player like Stempniak could be a pro typical third line.

BUT

I'd rather it be the latter. This could be the breakout line. Hagelin has speed and is excellent defensively while Miller and Hayes provide speed, creativity, and a size. If both of those players can play up to potential, this could be young second line that could bring the energy that Toffoli and Pearson brought for the LA Kings.

Glass - Moore - Lombardi

Or

Glass/Lombardi - Moore - Stempniak

I will say this. If you have Moore and Stempniak on the fourth line, this could be a very good defensive line. I didn't realize this but Glass did have 13 points which is more then Carcillo and Dorsett had combined last year. The contract sucks but he's going to play like it or not. If he can be a effective penalty killer and play 10 minutes a game, it's fine. If not that spot goes to Lombardi, which gives that line a lot of speed and defensive awareness, with the occasional pop.

All in all, if this really depends on Hayes and Miller. If those two can play on a line together, that makes our depth a huge (no pun intended) asset. If Stempniak has to play on the third line, it's ok, but our depth won't be as strong as we thought it was.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If Lombardi and Hayes force Glass off the roster, and Stempniak is bumped to the 4th line, we could be even deeper than last year.

PavelBure9

Jul 31, 2007
If Lombardi and Hayes force Glass off the roster, and Stempniak is bumped to the 4th line, we could be even deeper than last year.

Glass doesn't need to be off. Just as the 13th forward who pks and gets 9-10 min. There will be injuries and we will need him for that 4th line. But them again, ONLY for the 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad