News Article: LeBrun: Will Sabres' rebuild include Ryan Miller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
The word "whirlwind" pretty much sums up Tim Murray’s first two weeks at the helm of the Buffalo Sabres. The new GM has been criss-crossing the continent scouting prospects, meeting staff and just getting a handle on the operation he’s taken over.

Oh, and he finally moved to Buffalo.

"I drove down from Shawville (Quebec) on Tuesday with my truck loaded up and moved in," Murray told ESPN.com Wednesday night. "So now I’m here."

Oh, but the work is just getting started, beginning with what he’s going to do with his pending free agents, led by the likes of winger Matt Moulson and star netminder Ryan Miller among the 11 unrestricted free agents on the club.

"When the concrete offers start coming in, and if the offers are legit offers that improve the franchise going forward, I have to listen," Murray said. "I think that all the pending UFAs are probably expecting to be moved, I’m not going to say they’re definitely going to be moved, there has to be a market."

The reality is that Murray has just begun the process of establishing what deals are out there for some of his UFAs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/28873/will-sabres-rebuild-include-ryan-miller

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
The bit at the end about the scouting system is interesting. I'd like to hear more about it and how Devine feels about the change.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
"The day after I got hired, I wanted to bring in my own scouting system as far as Rinknet and rating system," Murray said. "We got that done about a week ago. Now our guys have to learn that and I know the numbers aren’t going to jive with my numbers right off the bat but I told them that we’re going to be talking numbers, 'If you told me you went to watch Pierre play last night, is he a five or a four-plus?' That’s going to be the lingo and the culture here. So it’s going to take them time to get on to the system, but I think that was important to get everyone on the same page right off the bat and let them run with it. Scouting is everything. Scouting is where it’s at. You can’t improve unless you evaluate well, whether it’s pro, whether it’s amateur, whether it’s staff, they say you’re not supposed to judge but that’s all we do."

Five or a four plus? What is the difference, and will all our scouts figure it out before the draft? :laugh:

Still very interesting. I wonder how Devine is taking to the new rating system?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I wonder what kind of scouting software they were already using. I'm sure with Pegula bucks, they had something up-to-date. I wonder if RinkNet is an upgrade. Obviously, preferred by the new boss.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Some of my thoughts:
- Murray's main strength is player evaluation - they hired him for this.
- Murray seems to be heavily involved already with scouting prospects and giving leadership to the scouting staff.
- he is changing the culture of the Sabres scouting staff.

Based on my thoughts, I can't say this is a ringing endorsement of what Pegula thinks about Darcy and Devine's job with evaluating players and providing leadership to a rapidly growing scouting staff.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Based on my thoughts, I can't say this is a ringing endorsement of what Pegula thinks about Darcy and Devine's job with evaluating players and providing leadership to a rapidly growing scouting staff.

Murray's just brought his system over. That in and of itself doesn't say much.

I think it'll be much more obvious what he thinks about the scouting staff after this year's draft. If he keeps most, then it's a good reflection.

If not, well....

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Wonder who the Western Conference GM is. It's hard to think of a Western Conference GM who wouldn't know about Steve Ott and virtually any team in the playoffs would like to add him so it's more than likely Poille or Cheveldayoff. Not sure I would follow any blueprints they have.

Murray has already came out and said he will make adjustments to the team next year to solidify a better draft pick if he has to. He can still do that even with Miller. And considering one of the reasons there isn't a big market for Miller is because he's a rental goaltender Miller himself could be one of the pieces shipped out next year.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
GMTM said:
My mandate here is to get better. I don’t want a five-year rebuild, that’s not what I’m about. It’s about getting better, and if that means trading guys and getting assets for them, then that’s the way it will be.

I like that.

EDIT: this article was written for me.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I wonder what kind of scouting software they were already using. I'm sure with Pegula bucks, they had something up-to-date. I wonder if RinkNet is an upgrade. Obviously, preferred by the new boss.
RinkNet is used by every team except New Jersey and has been for a long time.

I think what Murray was referring to was implementing a player rating system.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I've always preferred the 20-point scale of rating players.

I've been partial to the Patches O'Houlihan scale of rating players in these past handful of years or so.........I can imagine Devine and his staff writing on scouting reports such as these.......

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!

Son, you're about as useful as a poopie-flavoured lollipop!

Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No! But I do it anyway, 'cause it's sterile and I like the taste.

It's like watching a bunch of Pejorative Slurs trying to hump a doorknob out there!

Oh my sweet dick, it's magic.

Take care of your balls and they'll take care of you.

If you want dodgeball victory you gotta grab it by its haunches and h..h..hump it into submission, that's the only way.

If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So if they move the bulk of the UFAs (10 on the roster today and 12 if you include Tardif and Porter), they have to get bodies back or Rochester will be a beer league team down the stretch.

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Wonder who the Western Conference GM is. It's hard to think of a Western Conference GM who wouldn't know about Steve Ott and virtually any team in the playoffs would like to add him so it's more than likely Poille or Cheveldayoff. Not sure I would follow any blueprints they have.

Don't be surprised if Ott finishes the season with one of the two teams which used to be in the Western Conference. He might add enough to ensure that Detroit or Columbus make it into the playoffs.

KennyFnPowers*

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!

agreed/understood.

Don't be surprised if Ott finishes the season with one of the two teams which used to be in the Western Conference. He might add enough to ensure that Detroit or Columbus make it into the playoffs.

that would suck, he's the only balls this team currently has. of all 3, i'd prefer he stays the most.

YesThatsRight*

I''m glad we signed Hodgson. He's got real talent and doesn't seem like a whiner or anything. Ott is cool but he seems like just another tough guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad