Rumor: LeBrun: roster reset? Boyle to Rangers?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
How many of these threads do we need :sarcasm:

I guess I'll repost in here:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun My Monday column on the Sharks and how the trade deadline could begin the reset process with their roster, http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/22750/sharks-in-need-of-a-fresh-coat-of-paint …

You’re not going to see a full rebuild in San Jose. It’s a market that despite years and years of sellouts probably wouldn’t support a full bottoming-out and redressing of the roster. In fact, the last time the Sharks missed the playoffs, in 2002-03, it’s believed the club lost around 3,000 season-ticket holders the following offseason.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
How many of these threads do we need :sarcasm:

I guess I'll repost in here:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun My Monday column on the Sharks and how the trade deadline could begin the reset process with their roster, http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/22750/sharks-in-need-of-a-fresh-coat-of-paint …

yup all you have to do is look at the mood around this board, to see what a rebuild would be like for this franchise.

this team is still in a playoff spot and every one is already jumping ship. imagine if they became say the blue jackets, who suck beyond sucking. and this board and fans would leave so fast it wouldn't be funny.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
yup all you have to do is look at the mood around this board, to see what a rebuild would be like for this franchise.

this team is still in a playoff spot and every one is already jumping ship. imagine if they became say the blue jackets, who suck beyond sucking. and this board and fans would leave so fast it wouldn't be funny.

Honestly, I would cheer up quite a bit if DW pulled off some of these moves we've discussed. I realize it would mean a couple of years out of true contention, but I think we have enough of the right pieces in place that this could still be a playoff team given the right trades are made for the right value. They need to be done as soon as possible though, that value is dwindling away quickly and the Sharks need to fish or cut bait quickly.

Again, if it was me, I'd be shopping Boyle, Murray, Clowe, Pavelski, Thornton, Braun, Handzus, Burish and see what kind of offers I get. Load up big time for draft picks this year, and young NHL ready players. Go into next season with a new 'core' and a new system (and coach). I might even consider shopping Niemi if I could get a significant return. He's got a great contract, playing like a Vezina candidate. Sell High, he's not going to do us any good mid-retool anyway, and it opens up space for Stalock/Seteri.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I think dealing Boyle would be smart for a couple of reasons, 1 because it allows Burns to step up onto the 1st pp unit, and 2 because the return would be significant, especially from the Rangers. Maybe we could get Kreider or Miller along with a pick(s). Or package Boyle w/ Clowe and see what that gets you.

Last edited:

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
He's not really telling us anything that we don't already know. I don't disagree with him, but most of this article comes off as baseless speculation that could be written by any one of us here.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

For me personally, I would probably not watch anywhere near as much. Although I would definitely keep track of the team until there were signs of life again and then that's probably when I would come back for sure.

I don't think I could bear the pain of watching a team that I'm pretty sure is gonna lose but I am aware of the pleasure of watching a losing team do something surprising like win. So low expectations may actually keep me around. Watch for the hockey even if its a loss and be pleasantly surprised if there's a win.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Honestly, I would cheer up quite a bit if DW pulled off some of these moves we've discussed. I realize it would mean a couple of years out of true contention, but I think we have enough of the right pieces in place that this could still be a playoff team given the right trades are made for the right value. They need to be done as soon as possible though, that value is dwindling away quickly and the Sharks need to fish or cut bait quickly.

Again, if it was me, I'd be shopping Boyle, Murray, Clowe, Pavelski, Thornton, Braun, Handzus, Burish and see what kind of offers I get. Load up big time for draft picks this year, and young NHL ready players. Go into next season with a new 'core' and a new system (and coach). I might even consider shopping Niemi if I could get a significant return. He's got a great contract, playing like a Vezina candidate. Sell High, he's not going to do us any good mid-retool anyway, and it opens up space for Stalock/Seteri.

Lets be honest here. Losing Handzus and Burish is really not going to upset anyone here. Even if each and every one of those bolded pieces is gone, we still have:

Couture
Burns
Havlat
Vlasic
Stuart
Irwin
Marleau
Wingels
Niemi
Stalock

We can hopefully re-sign:
Demers (sure hope so)
Galiardi (similar deal to current deal .. assuming TMac is not the coach or else its pointless)
Sheppard

We have some up and comers in:
Hertl
Nieto
Acolatse

The void filled by those trades if filled correctly (even if it is just picks and prospects) can definitely keep us competitive and in playoff contention.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA

I may be in the minority, but I enjoy watching the Jackets. They never sit back and play boring hockey. They give every game all they got and now they have a fighting chance for a playoff spot.

I don't think for obvious reasons, the Sharks go all "Oileresque" and become a lottery team. They still have pieces that can be shipped for young talent to keep them playoff contenders. DW better be listening to phone calls right now though, waiting around will hurt.

lsx

Oct 19, 2010
Sonoma County, CA
I've said it before, to me a team is more than just the logo on the sweater, it's following your favorite players in those jerseys...if Boyle goes along with most of the other core players I'll certainly watch much fewer games.

I think young rebuilding teams should have a strong vet on offense and defense, I would much rather see Boyle take a discount on a new contract and act as a mentor for the guys coming up.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I've said it before, to me a team is more than just the logo on the sweater, it's following your favorite players in those jerseys...if Boyle goes along with most of the other core players I'll certainly watch much fewer games.

I think young rebuilding teams should have a strong vet on offense and defense, I would much rather see Boyle take a discount on a new contract and act as a mentor for the guys coming up.

For me it's always been the Jersey. I'll watch every single game this team plays no matter if they are bottom dwelling or otherwise. I have before, and I will again. I might skip on paying extra for the stupid NBC/VS games and what not but beyond that nothing would really change. I'd still be here, posting like crazy and being opinionated as hell. I do a lot of waiting in my job and posting here is kind of my mental distraction, so i'm not going anywhere no matter what.

Danish Pastry

this is dream!
Jan 3, 2009
Copenhagen
I cherr for the sharks fall in love with then players... This team is different from the one who played at the cow palace and the team who knocked out Detroit in 94. Same logo different players same love.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
For me it's always been the Jersey. I'll watch every single game this team plays no matter if they are bottom dwelling or otherwise.

Always. Always always always.

I may b**** and moan along the way and spend less money, but I can't help but watch every game. I bleed teal ...

SFSharkie

Jul 2, 2009
San Francisco
Lebrun was pretty spot on, and found myself being ok with retooling around that younger core he highlighted. It is what is needed, new leaders, fresh legs and ultimately a new culture. By shipping off vets for younger players with upside or picks I believe our team could still compete next year, assuming DW doesn't mess up the trades terribly.

Also seems like the next week n a half DW will be sitting back listening to offers, hoping that a potential bidding war will drive up prices(all the recent media coverage probably has increased calls going DW's way). But if we are still struggling to maintain a playoff spot by the end of the month i fully expect DW to sell off guys like clowe, boyle and murray.

sjshrky27

Jan 15, 2007
CA
Boyle for Callahan straight up.

Honestly I dont see Boyle moving at all. IMO I think he will resign and finish his career with the Sharks, which Im fine with.

However, I would totally do this trade if I was DW, but the Sharks might have to give up more then Boyle to get Callahan.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
I cherr for the sharks fall in love with then players... This team is different from the one who played at the cow palace and the team who knocked out Detroit in 94. Same logo different players same love.

Completely agree.

Went with my dad to watch the Bulls play at the Cow Palace yesterday -- major nostalgia/history trip. "Remember that game when Gaetz came straight off the bench and..." Wished I bought a Link Gaetz #23 official jersey when I had the chance.

There will always be a "Link moment" for every new roster and every fan, regardless of the standings, so it's really the branding that endures.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
For me it's always been the Jersey. I'll watch every single game this team plays no matter if they are bottom dwelling or otherwise. I have before, and I will again. I might skip on paying extra for the stupid NBC/VS games and what not but beyond that nothing would really change. I'd still be here, posting like crazy and being opinionated as hell. I do a lot of waiting in my job and posting here is kind of my mental distraction, so i'm not going anywhere no matter what.

Why does it have to be one or the other? I love the team above all else, but I've also become attached to many of the players that have worn the jersey over the years. When the time comes for guys like Boyle to be traded or retire, there's a part of me that's going to be really bummed.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Why does it have to be one or the other? I love the team above all else, but I've also become attached to many of the players that have worn the jersey over the years. When the time comes for guys like Boyle to be traded or retire, there's a part of me that's going to be really bummed.

Sure, me too, I'm just saying if my favorite player changed teams I would still remain a Sharks fan.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
I will always watch and root for the Sharks. I will be more excited to root for them if they make some of the moves discussed here (trading Clowe, Murray, Zus, Havlet, Boyle). It doesnt mean I don't love those players and don't appreciate all they've done for us (minus Zus). I will be more excited at this point to root for a younger, faster, non playoff team than a older, slower, fringe playoff team. I want to be excited about young draft picks again (we haven't had that guy since juicy was drafted and we've never had the 1st overall selection). I want to cheer for a team that looks hungry on the ice and that always plays with fire and passion. I really don't care if we don't make the playoffs this season as long as we go about this whole thing the right way. As Pierre pointed out we've had an awesome run for nine years and I'm just as disappointed as anyone that it never resulted in a championship. But it will make that first cup that much sweeter when it happens. Plus, maybe ticket prices will go down a bit if we're not as good for a few seasons :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad