Speculation: [LeBrun]: "Couture's gonna sign a big extension, they're gonna announce it July 1st"

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Couture is not the type of guy I would give an 8 year deal to. Sharks will regret it if they do. He’s one hell of a player but that term should be reserved for the absolute elite.

That's not how things work though. The demand for freely available quality talent is far greater than the supply of freely available quality talent. GM's are almost forced to give out long term deals to even average UFA's.

It’s really cute how concerned you all are over our cap situation. Really, it’s sweet. But Logan Couture is the last long-term contract on our team that I’m concerned about. He’s going to be a damn good player late into his thirties.

It’s funny how fans of teams who can only dream of a center as good as Logan are calling him overrated.

Even if he's not a good player at 36 or 37, it doesn't matter, the Sharks are going to give him some huge contract either way. Not to mention that there's no actual way of knowing how good a player will be late into their 30's. They're all different. Anyway, all teams care about are the first couple years when we're talking about 30 year old free agents. Anything beyond that is gravy. Teams just have to add the last 3 or 4 years to the contract, otherwise they don't get the player for the first couple.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He never struck me as a special player tbh. Now after Kane they have to give him more than 7 but to me it’s just not worth it

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
8 million seems like a lot, but he is pretty damn good in the playoffs. You're looking at a premium of at least 1.000 for that alone. Factor that in, and you have yourself a fair contract at 8x8 IF he continues to be a great playoff performer.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Couture is like a 60pt player, how is he getting 8 mill year? Lol
Johansen set the bar at 8 mill for 60 point Cs last summer. And as others have mentioned he raises his game substantially in the playoffs (similar to Johansen).

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Johansen set the bar at 8 mill for 60 point Cs last summer. And as others have mentioned he raises his game substantially in the playoffs (similar to Johansen).
And Couture probably deserves more than him for the fact that a 60 pt player that usually scores half of those in goals is more valuable that a 60 point player who gets about 15 of those in goals.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
And Couture probably deserves more than him for the fact that a 60 pt player that usually scores half of those in goals is more valuable that a 60 point player who gets about 15 of those in goals.
I'd say he's the better player, too.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
8x8 is fair for couture. Considering the cap will continue to go up and he has proven to be a big time player in the playoffs, Plays a great defensive game and doesn’t play type of game that will wear his body down.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Couture's camp will use Johansen as comparable. Good for Logan, he's a fantastic player and a great teammate

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
When The Sharks stripped Joe Thornton of the captaincy, I was hoping to see Couture with the 'C' instead of little Joe.

Like Doughty, Couture plays big in big games. He's worth every penny.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
thisa has to be 7.5 at the minimum.
I wouldnt be surprised if its 8x8

Kane (one 30g/ two 50pt seasons in 9 years) just got 7x7

Couture has hit both cats 3x more than Kane....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad