TSN: LeBrun: Alexander Edler on the Trade Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
If we could move him for Bobby Ryan I would do it. Letting Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa and Tanev become our "top 4" all playing on their natural sides. You make a bottom pairing of corrado and a cheap veteran dman and you call it a day.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Given the league-wide cap situation, I don't think teams are rushing to give up their cap friendly players like Couturier.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
If we could move him for Bobby Ryan I would do it. Letting Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa and Tanev become our "top 4" all playing on their natural sides. You make a bottom pairing of corrado and a cheap veteran dman and you call it a day.

Bobby Ryan has two years left on his contract and I think he's eying hometown Philly pretty hungrily.

Bad, risky investment, especially at this point in the team's cycle. You want assets like Edler that will still be around contributing (know on wood) when Horvat and Shinkaruk are ready to contribute (I think this is our next window).

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
I do agree. I think in 99% of the scenarios we are better of with Edler. I'd only move him if the return was pretty ridiculous.

Well, the catch with keeping Edler was always getting rid of another core or near core player, or reducing the budget for third and fourth line additions to a near AHL level. We will find out quickly why most prospects need years of seasoning, and how important each and every signing to an NHL contract is, ie no more Sturm, barker goofups allowed.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Well, the catch with keeping Edler was always getting rid of another core or near core player, or reducing the budget for third and fourth line additions to a near AHL level. We will find out quickly why most prospects need years of seasoning, and how important each and every signing to an NHL contract is, ie no more Sturm, barker goofups allowed.

Are Ballard/Booth core or near-core players?

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Are Ballard/Booth core or near-core players?

well Booth better be, he makes more than Burrows and is apparently the answer to our playoff scoring woes and will likely be the only NHL proven addition to our forwards next season. I mean as long as he stays healthy that is and we all know how that usually goes.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
They were until AV got a hold of them. :sarcasm:

More like they were on a horrible Panthers team where they could skate around doing whatever they wanted with no system or expectations.

They were also both overpaid to stay there and our genius GM of the year thought they would put us over the top except both completely failed and cost us big time, in fact they still are costing us.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
well Booth better be, he makes more than Burrows and is apparently the answer to our playoff scoring woes and will likely be the only NHL proven addition to our forwards next season. I mean as long as he stays healthy that is and we all know how that usually goes.

I think Booth will have a huge bounce back season. He was great the year before and was injured pretty much this whole past season. This can possibly be his last year and I have this feeling that he's going to redeem him self this next season. He's an effective when he's on his game and adds a ton of speed to our forwards group, and not too mention that he's the only forward that actually drives to the net. But yeah, as you mentioned he needs to stay healthy.

Time for avatar change?

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I think Booth will have a huge bounce back season. He was great the year before and was injured pretty much this whole past season. This can possibly be his last year and I have this feeling that he's going to redeem him self this next season. He's an effective when he's on his game and adds a ton of speed to our forwards group, and not too mention that he's the only forward that actually drives to the net. But yeah, as you mentioned he needs to stay healthy.

Time for avatar change?

He was great the year he scored one goal in his final 16 games counting playoffs and missed 26 games with injury...

Well if those are the expectations I'm sure he'll be GREAT again this year.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Well Edler's NTC has kicked in now so I'd reckon something would have to change severely on the market before any attempt to move him would be made. A lot of bridges have been burned with the goalies already and prolly doesn't jive well with the group. Now doing the same with our defense core (and after Ballard's already been ousted) would be an awful choice.

Booth - Kesler - UFA
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
UFA - Lapierre/Lain/UFA - Weise
Sestito

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Corrado - UFA

Luongo
Lack

This where we at. Sign Ryder, Regin, Blum, maybe Hendricks, and let's go. We have our D core set up as well as goaltending, now fill the forward roster out with doable FA choices. We don't have any expendable trade assets anymore either way.

Frankiedarling

Jan 27, 2012
Seattle, Washington
I can't believe anyone wanted Edler gone. How do you replace him on our blueline? Moreover, why would you want to? He's among the best Dmen in the league, under thirty, with possible untapped potential.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Well Edler's NTC has kicked in now so I'd reckon something would have to change severely on the market before any attempt to move him would be made. A lot of bridges have been burned with the goalies already and prolly doesn't jive well with the group. Now doing the same with our defense core (and after Ballard's already been ousted) would be an awful choice.

Booth - Kesler - UFA
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
UFA - Lapierre/Lain/UFA - Weise
Sestito

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Corrado - UFA

Luongo
Lack

This where we at. Sign Ryder, Regin, Blum, maybe Hendricks, and let's go. We have our D core set up as well as goaltending, now fill the forward roster out with doable FA choices. We don't have any expendable trade assets anymore either way.

Do you not like Burrows? Garrison gone too? Lol

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Weise - Gaunce/Lain- Sestito

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Corrado - Tanev

Lu
Lack

This is where we are at..without signing FAs or trades..

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

I would like to trade Bieksa then move forward with that same top 4 except Edler instead of Bieksa.

False.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Booth might be great in Tortorella's system. It's true. I'd like to see it.

Relevant to this discussion; A buyout option still exists if Booth passes a physical.

The team can go over the cap during the offseason.

I wonder if Booth even gets a chance? His contract is fat and damage to the team would be minimal if he was deleted. Suppose Iginla wants to come to Vancouver for a couple of seasons? Who can be removed for salary considerations?

Kip96

Feb 8, 2010
West Coast
Edler is very good offensively but he is terrible in his own end

He has been terrible since 2011 and has hurt this team badly in the playoffs
His plus-minus is consistently poor compared to the other Dmen on the roster

Its surprising that more people don't see this, I think he would bring in more value than he provides

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
Edler is very good offensively but he is terrible in his own end

He has been terrible since 2011 and has hurt this team badly in the playoffs
His plus-minus is consistently poor compared to the other Dmen on the roster

Its surprising that more people don't see this, I think he would bring in more value than he provides
But if he could get back to his 2011 level...

It's a look from the outside, but it didn't appear to me that there was anyone helping him along with the transition to being counted on as the #1 D. That is quite the burden for a (relatively) young player.

Question is, if he's capable of dealing with the expectations. When Ehrhoff was around, the spotlight wasn't on him all that much and he played great. Now that he's the core and centre of our D, he must feel much more under the microscope. If it is a question of mindset, maybe Torts can actually help him gain the necessary confidence. Or maybe Torts can make sure the pressure gets spread a little more among our D men.

I don't know. We've seen what he can do when he's on top of his game. If there's any chance to get that back, there's no way I'd get rid of him.

King of Anarchy

Sep 30, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I can't believe anyone wanted Edler gone. How do you replace him on our blueline? Moreover, why would you want to? He's among the best Dmen in the league, under thirty, with possible untapped potential.

It's not like we're itching to rush him out of town with pitchforks. We just don't have any cap space to do anything with the rest of the roster.

Frankly, if Gillis is going to ask anyone to waive their NTC, it should be Bieksa. He's 32, he has a few years left on his contract and he's just as bad defensively.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

He's been injured since with us, and I believe can be the answer to secondary scoring. A good heathly run with Booth and I think everyone will be happy.

SweedishKeepers

Apr 15, 2013
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 27s

As teams begin to court UFAs, a lot of clubs are still working the trade wire, including Vancouver, who is still actively shopping Edler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad