OT: Learning to Play Dek/Roller

Xenofei

Aug 29, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm 29, after being a huge hockey/Isles fan my whole life, (and admittedly waiting a bit too long to attempt it), I am starting to try and play some hockey myself. I have been playing Dek two mornings a week, and recently just bought a pair of inlines. I am looking for some detailed advice on a few things to help get me into better shape!

1) Workouts? I don't really like to bench and all that, I prefer to use the machines and just keep it simple. I haven't been going to the gym in about 6 months, but I am looking to start going back 3-4 days per week. Edit: Forgot to say, I am 6'2 and 260....I would like to get down to about 220? Is that reasonable for my height?

2) Any tips for inline? I felt like my boot was a little loose(I went one size down from my shoe size as a recommendation, and was tying it super tight but no luck. So I went down another size and it seems to fit much better, haven't skated yet on them though.)

And I am sure I will post other thoughts here as they come up. Thanks in advance, happy to be posting here!

Last edited:

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
Regarding shoe-size: Measure your feet (both) ;)

It's the same as with Ski/Snowboard-Boots, they have to fit, otherwise it's only half the fun. I'll never understand the shops that let you just try something on, usually that never works.
Should feel a little tight at first, you'll grow into it in a few hours of usage. If it feels allright from the get go, they might become too loose.

Hope that helps, the world needs more inline-hockey :D

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Tip #1: Everybody who plays has fallen while trying to learn. Don't be afraid to fall.

Tip #2: Each brand of skates has a different sizing recommendation. Mission skates, for example, are 1.5 sizes lower than your shoes size traditionally. It's important to look at what your specific brand recommends.

Dek hockey won't increase your inline ability, aside from potentially your stick handling and shot (but it will be different since you're moving differently and higher up due to the wheels). Dek hockey is great for potentially building your endurance up, but in terms of the x's and o's of the game, it's really a lot different. Inline is closer to real hockey, but still different from ice.

I don't think you need to work out in a gym, unless you're seriously overweight, just play as much as you can. The last piece of advice I'll give you is this. Most players will tell you to have your stick go up to your nose or your chin. Ignore that advice and go shorter. While you're on your skates, your stick should be around the top of your shoulders and no higher (especially for offense). This allows you to stick handle near your feet better, without handcuffing yourself by using a longer stick.

Just have fun with it.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
You should see if you can bake your skates anywhere. It makes it a lot easier for you to get used to your skates.

For skating it's just a lot of practice. If there's local tennis courts and you have the time you should asks buddy or two if the want to fool around and just practice skating, shooting, etc. Make a goal for yourself. Maybe say "I want X amount of hours by 11/18."

I don't think you need to work out unless you are really overweight. You can be in the best shape of your life and be brutal at hockey because you can't skate.

Dek Hockey Tips:
1. Endurance is key. If you have endurance you can be the best one out there.
2. Speed is also really important. Because its dek hockey using dangles around a guy won't always work as well as roller hockey because they can catch up so quickly.
3. Learn the typical dek hockey moves. For example hitting the ball off the boards and speeding past the defender.
4. Ask your teammates for tips on what you're doing wrong.
5. HAVE FUN

Roller Hockey Tips:
1. SKATING. This should be your main focus, you can get the stick handling from dek hockey.
2. Get used to the puck.
3. The other tips on skating and whatnot are above

Good luck and remember have fun!

Xenofei

Aug 29, 2014
Thanks for the confidence so far!

I guess as far as the workouts go:

I want to drop weight. I have a bit of a gut at 260. I don't want to get ripped but I figure if I can do some machines that will help me drop weight and help my hockey endurance it'd be win win. Any suggestions?

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Hey guys,

I'm 29, after being a huge hockey/Isles fan my whole life, (and admittedly waiting a bit too long to attempt it), I am starting to try and play some hockey myself. I have been playing Dek two mornings a week, and recently just bought a pair of inlines. I am looking for some detailed advice on a few things to help get me into better shape!

1) Workouts? I don't really like to bench and all that, I prefer to use the machines and just keep it simple. I haven't been going to the gym in about 6 months, but I am looking to start going back 3-4 days per week. Edit: Forgot to say, I am 6'2 and 260....I would like to get down to about 220? Is that reasonable for my height?

2) Any tips for inline? I felt like my boot was a little loose(I went one size down from my shoe size as a recommendation, and was tying it super tight but no luck. So I went down another size and it seems to fit much better, haven't skated yet on them though.)

And I am sure I will post other thoughts here as they come up. Thanks in advance, happy to be posting here!

Where have you been playing? I'm relatively new to the playing front myself (roughly 5 months) but I've just been screwing around, nothing too organized.

If you come across any roller leagues that have a division for guys who haven't played roller before, let me know, because I've been looking for something like that.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I've been playing Dek Hockey for about 5 or 6 years now, and I've gotten pretty damn good at it. Endurance wise, it helped a lot to have a running and wrestling background from high school. If you haven't done much exercise wise in a long time, I will recommend three things: Progressive calisthenics (body weight workouts, this will trim you down and build strength at the same time), running (for endurance obviously), and playing Dek hockey itself.

I don't agree with the poster above who says the X's and O's of Dek hockey aren't like Ice Hockey. Roller Hockey is actually very different from ice Hockey, there is very weird rules (I believe there is no offsides) and it's generally a show offs game (lots of cherry picking). Personally, I'm not a fan of Roller Hockey. I'd have fun playing it because it's still Hockey, but I prefer Dek because it's more like traditional hockey minus the checking and skating.

The best thing to learn for Dek Hockey, well any form of Hockey really, is being able to move, shoot and pass with your head up. The best way to learn for me was literally walking around stickhandling on my driveway with my head up. When I first started, I was always looking down, but it was learning to always have my head up that made me the player I am now.

Good luck! If you need any more tips, I can try my best to help you on here.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Hey guys,

Some advice from someone who has played hockey in most forms it comes in:
1) Work on your skating non-stop. Practice is important, and I encourage you to use a stick and your gloves at the same time.
2) Keep a stick around and some golf balls - work the balls as much as you can at the edge of your vision because there are those who can feel the ball or puck and those who can't and they are very different in ability level.
3) Practice skating hard enough that you fall. If you don't push yourself you will learn too slowly.
4) work your forward backward transitions. If you can't skate backwards play another sport.
5) Hockey is not an excellent workout without a coach running you till you drop. Games won't put you back in shape. I've played rec hockey with guys as big as a house. It is your motivation, not your vehicle for losing weight.
6) This is the big one - if you can afford ice hockey I strongly recommend bypassing deck and inline as they will cost you $1000 in gear alone. Once you jump to ice you will probably never go back. It is like driving a Ferrari vs. a Camaro. You know the difference once you know the difference and ice will be your preference. Cleaner stops, cleaner turns, cleaner stride, and you cool down in a heartbeat once you get to the bench.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Tip #1: Everybody who plays has fallen while trying to learn. Don't be afraid to fall.

Tip #2: Each brand of skates has a different sizing recommendation. Mission skates, for example, are 1.5 sizes lower than your shoes size traditionally. It's important to look at what your specific brand recommends.

Dek hockey won't increase your inline ability, aside from potentially your stick handling and shot (but it will be different since you're moving differently and higher up due to the wheels). Dek hockey is great for potentially building your endurance up, but in terms of the x's and o's of the game, it's really a lot different. Inline is closer to real hockey, but still different from ice.

I don't think you need to work out in a gym, unless you're seriously overweight, just play as much as you can. The last piece of advice I'll give you is this. Most players will tell you to have your stick go up to your nose or your chin. Ignore that advice and go shorter. While you're on your skates, your stick should be around the top of your shoulders and no higher (especially for offense). This allows you to stick handle near your feet better, without handcuffing yourself by using a longer stick.

Just have fun with it.
Actually, the best advice, not that this is wrong, but because of your weight/agility.....keep a stick LONGER than your ground to chin measurement and tape a huge knob at your chin measure.....play a bit and SEE IF YOUR BLADE IS FLAT ON THE GROUND! If you slouch more comfortably, knees bent for balance, try moving the knob lower. Back pain? Move it higher til you're in better shape. Sounds like you're in transformation mode so adapt a bit. Find what works, THEN....judge if you want the short stick or longer one. Shorter is ideal for crouching types {like me} and longer suits defense and body types.

Make sure you use your knees and spare your back the stress.

Make sure you keep your center of gravity at all times over your feet, especially when skating. You're a big guy and damage could be done OVER TIME.

For exercise, nothing beats good ol' wind sprints!

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Some advice from someone who has played hockey in most forms it comes in:
1) Work on your skating non-stop. Practice is important, and I encourage you to use a stick and your gloves at the same time.
2) Keep a stick around and some golf balls - work the balls as much as you can at the edge of your vision because there are those who can feel the ball or puck and those who can't and they are very different in ability level.
3) Practice skating hard enough that you fall. If you don't push yourself you will learn too slowly.
4) work your forward backward transitions. If you can't skate backwards play another sport.
5) Hockey is not an excellent workout without a coach running you till you drop. Games won't put you back in shape. I've played rec hockey with guys as big as a house. It is your motivation, not your vehicle for losing weight.

All SOLID!

6) This is the big one - if you can afford ice hockey I strongly recommend bypassing deck and inline as they will cost you $1000 in gear alone. Once you jump to ice you will probably never go back. It is like driving a Ferrari vs. a Camaro. You know the difference once you know the difference and ice will be your preference. Cleaner stops, cleaner turns, cleaner stride, and you cool down in a heartbeat once you get to the bench.
This is probably the best advice. It's easier on you when you fall, it FEELS better, you use less energy on ice {deck will be great for slimming down, though! And getting basics/coordination before jumping to ice.

And my brother started late, in his late twenties. He still plays religiously in his mid forties.

On the working with golf balls...try stickhandling basics...back, forth, learn the curve of the stick and keeping it slow tempo and going faster until you look like a Harlem Globetrotter....or close. It'll help. Then try leaning one way when you do it, using your knees, bending and FINDING YOUR CENTER OF GRAVITY as a matter of practicing BALANCE.....where you shoot from, where your body starts and ends as you use your weight in your shot....a lot like golf. This you do with no game, no skates {but you can practice on skates down the road} but it's gonna be HUGE when you've "learned" your muscles....your abs, external obliques, groin, legs, butt, shoulders, chest, calves....all get stronger and more flexible!

Knoxville555

Mar 30, 2012
Im 31 and I've been playing for years. If you want to meet up one day and just shoot around and trade tips and tricks id be glad to help. Im in the hicksville/plainview area.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
As far as shooting goes-I'd focus on a snapshot.

Totally....more accurate and quicker, but only after you've mastered fore and backhand shots....the better your forehand, the better your snapshot. Accuracy, just like playing the piano. You don't wanna master playing all the wrong notes in tempo. Get the notes right and pick up your speed later. I used to have a snapshot that was harder than my slapper when I used the eight hundred pound Titan Eurocurve.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Totally....more accurate and quicker, but only after you've mastered fore and backhand shots....the better your forehand, the better your snapshot. Accuracy, just like playing the piano. You don't wanna master playing all the wrong notes in tempo. Get the notes right and pick up your speed later. I used to have a snapshot that was harder than my slapper when I used the eight hundred pound Titan Eurocurve.

Agreed. My snap is by far my best shot. It's harder than my slap, can be released quicker than any of of other shots and is on par in accuracy with my wrist. Plus practicing a snap will help you tremendously with one-timers.

The most important thing with ANY shot is practice accuracy. Power and speed will come with time. Develop good habits early on.

But I also agree, I said that assuming that a basic forehand/backhand shots are known.

The most important thing with ANY shot imo is practice accuracy. Power and speed will come with time. You'll know when to use each shot with more experience. But you want to develop good habits early on.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't agree with the poster above who says the X's and O's of Dek hockey aren't like Ice Hockey. Roller Hockey is actually very different from ice Hockey, there is very weird rules (I believe there is no offsides) and it's generally a show offs game (lots of cherry picking). Personally, I'm not a fan of Roller Hockey. I'd have fun playing it because it's still Hockey, but I prefer Dek because it's more like traditional hockey minus the checking and skating.

Good luck! If you need any more tips, I can try my best to help you on here.

You bring up a really interesting point that I wasn't thinking about. When I was playing roller as a kid, it was 5 on 5, and all the same rules as ice hockey (minus contact). I still play inline today, but I apply the same rules and view the game the same way as I did when it was 5 on 5 with the ice hockey rules (and I think that helps me play the game better than guys with similar ability...which isn't a lot haha). I personally don't cherry pick and I'm always very close to being onside (to the point that it doesn't impact me when I go back to having the off-side rule). If you just start out with 4 on 4, no off-sides, and dumb rules, I agree that it can bring you further away from traditional hockey.

Good call man.

Islespuck89

Jan 9, 2012
You bring up a really interesting point that I wasn't thinking about. When I was playing roller as a kid, it was 5 on 5, and all the same rules as ice hockey (minus contact). I still play inline today, but I apply the same rules and view the game the same way as I did when it was 5 on 5 with the ice hockey rules (and I think that helps me play the game better than guys with similar ability...which isn't a lot haha). I personally don't cherry pick and I'm always very close to being onside (to the point that it doesn't impact me when I go back to having the off-side rule). If you just start out with 4 on 4, no off-sides, and dumb rules, I agree that it can bring you further away from traditional hockey.

Good call man.

That's the way to do it, when I go to pickup ice games a few times a year in between seasons most guys ignore offsides, I am one of the few who play within the rules of a regular game. I believe you play how practice, you practice sloppy and go off sides its bound to happen in a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad