GDT: Leafs @ Wings - 7pm TSN

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The pre-season is way too long if the last game is basically just AHLers with the bare minimum of regulars.

I do agree the preseason is too long. But I wouldn't frame tonights game like that. Jarnkrok, Lafferty, Gregor, Robertson and Minten are playing. These are guys who are essentially competing to make the team in one final audition (Jarnkrok will make it if not traded obviously but I could see Treliving moving him because he would clear more cap).

Reactions: horner

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I do agree the preseason is too long. But I wouldn't frame tonights game like that. Jarnkrok, Lafferty, Gregor, Robertson and Minten are playing. These are guys who are essentially competing to make the team in one final audition (Jarnkrok will make it if not traded obviously but I could see Treliving moving him because he would clear more cap).

I think you can play those players with` more regulars regardless. This should be about getting up to game speed to me. Most of the top players played 3 games out of 8, and they haven't exactly dominated or anything. We're playing Abruzzese, Ellis, Clifford, Hirvonen, Tverberg and maybe Shaw... They already got cut. Regardless what is said to the media, the Leafs 99% know what their opening roster will be.

So yeah, kind of useless.

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
My math may be off but that entire forward group's cap hit would b less than Auston Matthews by himself.

Still, be fun to watch the Marlies get an extra pre-season game.

Reactions: Burnie97

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Giving the kids and depth guys one more shot to show what they've got. Wonder who Keefe will ride as '1C' in this one.

• Haha
Reactions: Burnie97

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I could care less if we lose Jarnkrok, there I said it. He’s a playoff no show.

Yeah, I thought Jarnkrok was really solid for us during the regular season, but his playoff did sour me on him a bit. He’s a decent point producer but usually, but he’s just so vanilla that I’m not sure he’s what we should be aspiring for in our bottom 6. The only stipulation really imo is whoever replaces him needs to PK. Can’t afford to lose another

Honesty, say what you will about Reaves at least he is serving a clear role.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yeah, I thought Jarnkrok was really solid for us during the regular season, but his playoff did sour me on him a bit. He’s a decent point producer but usually, but he’s just so vanilla that I’m not sure he’s what we should be aspiring for in our bottom 6. The only stipulation really imo is whoever replaces him needs to PK. Can’t afford to lose another

Honesty, say what you will about Reaves at least he is serving a clear role.
With us beefing up the top six, it’s harder to see where Jarnkrok fits? And to me he wasn’t a good top six option, he has a nice shot, does hustle and can skate, but you’re right he is vanilla. He was invisible in the playoffs, his game doesn’t translate imo, and his cap hit might not be worth it. He’s good depth though.

Reactions: Sypher04

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think you can play those players with` more regulars regardless. This should be about getting up to game speed to me. Most of the top players played 3 games out of 8, and they haven't exactly dominated or anything. We're playing Abruzzese, Ellis, Clifford, Hirvonen, Tverberg and maybe Shaw... They already got cut. Regardless what is said to the media, the Leafs 99% know what their opening roster will be.

So yeah, kind of useless.
Agreed ..

Leafs had to recall all these AHLers for tonight's game.

The Maple Leafs announced the recalls of forwards Nicholas Abruzzese, Max Ellis, Roni Hirvonen, Logan Shaw, and Ryan Tverberg, defensemen Tommy Miller, Topi Niemela, and Marshall Rifai, plus goaltender Dennis Hildeby from AHL Toronto. The majority of those players are expected to suit up tonight in Detroit.

This game becomes basically useless & for the most part and unnecessary.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Agreed ..

The Maple Leafs announced the recalls of forwards Nicholas Abruzzese, Max Ellis, Roni Hirvonen, Logan Shaw, and Ryan Tverberg, defensemen Tommy Miller, Topi Niemela, and Marshall Rifai, plus goaltender Dennis Hildeby from AHL Toronto. The majority of those players are expected to suit up tonight in Detroit.

They didn't have to recall Kokkonen.

Coach kept him and spoke highly about him.

Hmmm?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Agreed ..

The purpose of this game is to draw in $2 million or so in gate receipts and hopefully contribute about $31,000 towards the salary cap for each team. Oh glorious hockey related revenue, amateur accounting. So much more fun than the actual sport.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
The pre-season is way too long if the last game is basically just AHLers with the bare minimum of regulars.
Some guys are fighting for a spot though. They do this every year.

It is way too long though.
Yup
So can someone knock down the door to the aging defense?
Let's hope so but they'll be better than most think.

Leafs problem is scoring timely goals funny enough. Talking more about the playoffs.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
They didn't have to recall Kokkonen.

Coach kept him and spoke highly about him.

Hmmm?
He's been solid defensively and has been jumping up offensively, just not getting the points. I think they are trying to challenge him offensively this year, so don't be surprised if he puts up 30-40 points in the ahl.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Hoping for a strong showing from Benoit. Ducks fans have said he's a lot better than he's shown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad