Post-Game Talk: Leafs win game 3 5-2

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree with his performance I guess the way we rate it differs.
Keeping the game 3-2 is his job. Winning a game 1-0 being outshot and outchanced would be a great performance.
Fair enough to agree to disagree if you disagree :)
Too hung up on numbers IMO. Obviously allowing 0 goals is ideal, but allowing 2 goals could be a poor game or a fantastic performance, it all depends. I also don't think being out-chanced is relevant as what happened at the other end of the ice has nothing to do with how our goalie played. But even if you do want to factor that in, he outplayed Vasi which is just another feather in his cap IMO.

Then again, good/great are subjective terms so I guess the easy answer could be that we're both right. For me, it was a clutch performance in the most important game of the year to this point which seems pretty great to me. :)

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Too hung up on numbers IMO. Obviously allowing 0 goals is ideal, but allowing 2 goals could be a poor game or a fantastic performance, it all depends. I also don't think being out-chanced is relevant as what happened at the other end of the ice has nothing to do with how our goalie played. But even if you do want to factor that in, he outplayed Vasi which is just another feather in his cap IMO.

Then again, good/great are subjective terms so I guess the easy answer could be that we're both right. For me, it was a clutch performance in the most important game of the year to this point which seems pretty great to me. :)
I like the we are both right. It sounds like we are saying the same things but splitting hairs on the semantics.
That said I recall a few games early in the season I thought he was spectacular, but obviously they were not as big a game as Saturdays was.
:cheers:

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Why is my saying he's good at faceoffs taken as a complaint?

And I'm not beating up on anyone, just pointing out that 'one goal against' isn't extraordinary for us right now, but average.
Because "saying he's good at faceoffs" isn't all that you said. You cherry picked mentioning his 40% game 3 while ignoring his 81% and 75% game 1 & 2.

And you inferred by bringing them up that wingers who had more goals against had something to do with him - when they didn't.

In your original post I responded to, you claimed Tavares was "contributing nothing". And I've shown you are wrong about.

This "average" result is occurring against a team that won the Stanley Cup the last two seasons and had a season very close to the Leafs this year - they're a very good team. Having an "average" result is not such a terrible result when you consider who they're playing.

And again, this is over a very small sample size.

Lastly, his coach doesn't see it as you do - a coach who could be shown the door if he doesn't get them past round one. When the coach's job is on the line, Tavares average ice time/game is 3rd among forwards behind Matthews & Marner. The coach must think Tavares is contributing. He's betting his job on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad