Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-1

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yup, it's why I never get why people complain about PGT's being filled after a huge loss. It's natural for people to vent and complain when angry. Go look across other boards and you'll find a similar phenomenon

As for me, I'll be in here regardless lol

I've been saying this for some time, but if Engvall played to his potential he'd be one of the best bottom 6 pieces in the NHL

Size + speed + shot + good defensively. The tools are all there for him to be dominant and a matchup nightmare for the opposition

If Engvall played to his potential he’d be a top line power forward.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It's a pipe dream to think we can catch a team on pace for the best record in NHL history. BOS would have to lose a ton of games for us to even be in the conversation for 1st.
It's not likely, but you just need to take it a couple games at a time.

Say we beat them Wednesday, now we're 9 points back with 30 games left

Off the break we have a stupidly easy schedule for the first 5 games (CBJ x2, CHI x2, MON). The opponents are so bad even the leafs half-trying should be enough to win. Leafs should be able to go 5-0-0. Bruins 5 coming back aren't terribly difficult (WSH/DAL/NSH/NYI/OTT), but there's a couple teams in there who could challenge them. Ideally they go something like 3-2-0

That would put us 5 points back with 25 games left. Now it suddenly becomes a lot more attainable. The biggest issue with this is the Leafs need to win the games they should win. We all know how that goes.....

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
So, I took a look at Boston and Toronto’s loses and how many have been to teams currently not in a playoff position.

BOSTON
Regulation: 3/7
OT/SO: 3/5
Total: 6/12 (50%)

TORONTO
Regulation: 5/12
OT/SO: 5/8
Total: 10/20 (50%)

Not sure if it means anything or not.

Reactions: crump and willmma

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
So, I took a look at Boston and Toronto’s loses and how many have been to teams currently not in a playoff position.

BOSTON
Regulation: 3/7
OT/SO: 3/5
Total: 6/12 (50%)

TORONTO
Regulation: 5/12
OT/SO: 5/8
Total: 10/20 (50%)

Not sure if it means anything or not.
That’s interesting. But it goes to show there is no such thing as a light schedule. Theoretically those percentages should be closer to 80% if you are playing “weak” opponents.

Same percentage, just fewer losses for Boston -is also interesting. Years ago I started looking at losses instead of points during the majority of the season. GP is also a factor, but now Boston has lost a few lately if they had any games in hand they would be gone now. Losses is a good indicator of the challenge for teams below another.

Boston has a lot of advantages, a game in hand, 9 points ahead, 6.5 losses ahead (I count OTL as 1/2 a loss since you get a point). Next game is crucial to make up ground, a proverbial 4 point game if Leafs win in reg. Boston they will still have a game in hand, 7 points ahead, 5.5 losses ahead. But if Boston wins in reg. Boston they will still have a game in hand, 11 points ahead, 7.5 losses ahead.

It will be very hard to make up that in 30 games, but not impossible. Something like a 4.5% chance of being first in division (after 1000 simulations on money puck) it would take a magnificent nose dive by Boston not to maintain a lead on us. We are both 6-3-1 in the last 10. At the same rate. Boston would need to go 1-8-1 over the next three 10 game segments for us to catch them. (Assuming Boston wins their game in hand)

Disclaimer: I’m actually bad at math so don’t bet money based on the above word salad.

Last edited:

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Yup, it's why I never get why people complain about PGT's being filled after a huge loss. It's natural for people to vent and complain when angry. Go look across other boards and you'll find a similar phenomenon

As for me, I'll be in here regardless lol

I've been saying this for some time, but if Engvall played to his potential he'd be one of the best bottom 6 pieces in the NHL

Size + speed + shot + good defensively. The tools are all there for him to be dominant and a matchup nightmare for the opposition
If engval used his size along with his other assets he wouldn’t be bottom six

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Nice bounce back win for the team, thought they were good for 45 mins out of 60 mins of that game. Thing is with Engvall is he's got a good shot, and a big body, he just doesn't put all his tools together at once majority of the time, very inconsistent.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Great bounce back game for Samsonov. Brodie adds such stability to our defence. I like the d-pairings but I do think we have to manage GIO’s minutes. Engvall showing us how inconsistently good he is. Tell me again why Nylander isn’t in the all star game?

Kerfoot as second line centre is not good. Simmonds good for nothing except for a penalty. Holl is really dumb with that hand on the puck, he’s going to cost us in the playoffs.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Engvall had a good game. I remember him playing with Marchment and he seemed way more engaged physically. He doesn’t seem to have it in him to be the main banger but if he rides shotgun with a legit tough player I bet it’d bring out more.
We don’t have someone for that yet tho.
Not the greatest attribute to have in a player but it is what it is

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Great bounce back game for Samsonov. Brodie adds such stability to our defence. I like the d-pairings but I do think we have to manage GIO’s minutes. Engvall showing us how inconsistently good he is. Tell me again why Nylander isn’t in the all star game?

Kerfoot as second line centre is not good. Simmonds good for nothing except for a penalty. Holl is really dumb with that hand on the puck, he’s going to cost us in the playoffs.
I think that's a given.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I would love to graft Robertson's tools onto Engvall's body. That would be a player.......
The issue would then be that the Leafs wouldn't have been able to re-sign him.

If Engvall puts it all together he would be more of a 5-6 million dollar AAV.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Good win last night. One more big one before the break.

Old man Gio takes far, far too many penalties as well. Kind of gets swept under the rug.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
I've been such a harsh critic of Engvall this year, but man he has a wicked shot. The potential to unlock all of his tools is enticing enough for me as a fan to want him locked up for another 2 years. Drop Kerf and his 3.5, get Engvall locked into his current AAV for 2 more years and try to make him angry.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Good win last night. One more big one before the break.

Old man Gio takes far, far too many penalties as well. Kind of gets swept under the rug.
Gio's PIMs are in line with his career. He takes more penalties relative to other Leafs, but otherwise this is standard for him.

Reactions: stickty111

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
If Engvall played to his potential he’d be a top line power forward.
Exactly. Pierre is what he is. It's not like he is the only one who ever had the tools but couldn't find a way to use them consistently.

I don't really understand people's expectations of him. He has shown what he is... blips through the season of high end play, slogging it the rest of the way. If he can be responsible defensively then he is, I think, doing what the team expects of him.

Doesn't he have 11 goals?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Much improved game .. you can see brodie's value immediately as a vet stabilizer on our D .. also we had a lot more effort on all 4 lines .. and played much tighter defensively .. Rielly looks like he is shaking off da rust and you don't see him hanging his head on bench every shift anymore .. solid game from Sammy too

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It's a pipe dream to think we can catch a team on pace for the best record in NHL history since regular season OT was implemented. BOS would have to lose a ton of games for us to even be in the conversation for 1st.

Slight tweak.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
The craziest thing about Engvall is that he’s apparently strong as an ox too. I think I remember Keefe mentioning it a while ago. The guy literally has ALL the tools.
All the tools except the ability to insert himself into being a positive force regularly. Usually every fourth game. Some say that is lack of confidence, or character or will....or all of them. It is not physical talent. Marner can impose himself on 9 out of 10 games. It is Engvals head that makes him so frustrating.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Exactly. Pierre is what he is. It's not like he is the only one who ever had the tools but couldn't find a way to use them consistently.

I don't really understand people's expectations of him. He has shown what he is... blips through the season of high end play, slogging it the rest of the way. If he can be responsible defensively then he is, I think, doing what the team expects of him.

Doesn't he have 11 goals?

Yep ... and he's on pace for similar offense as last year too.

He definitely leaves you wanting more but he's a pretty solid third liner for what he brings. 15 goals, 30 points, with secondary PP time and PK time. It would be nice if he were a little more physical with that frame.

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad