Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Toronto has given up the 4th least amount of goals on the year and people are complaining about defense. Can't make this shit up. Never met a more entitled overrated fan base.
It's what's gonna happen until we win in the post season. Regular season and all makes people go mad atm
1678318203988.gif

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Put this game in the category that we did not deserve to win, if it was not for Sammy, wouldn't have got a point, let alone 2. it's odd to see another team get Leafed by the Leafs.

Leafed, adverb; to lose to a team that is better than you.

This team is utterly flawed. Until they turf Keefe this team will continue to under perform. The guy has all the hockey sense of a fake plant.

Since Feb 1st Toronto is MEH!

View attachment 665565
So if the goalie is a big part of the win, we don't deserve to win. Um, WTF? Does this mean we deserved to win all those playoff series we've lost when the opposing goalies played well?

Well gee whiz, I guess we deserved to win at least 4 out of the last 5 playoff series we've played. I feel so much better now. :hockey::dd::banana:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Really? After a long road trip? Ashamed is not the right word at all.
Toronto has given up the 4th least amount of goals on the year and people are complaining about defense. Can't make this shit up. Never met a more entitled overrated fan base.
Entitled, overrated fan base…..you’re joking right. Do you know how many of us have suffered thru 30-40-50 years worth of failures and still support them.
wow just wow

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
So if the goalie is a big part of the win, we don't deserve to win. Um, WTF? Does this mean we deserved to win all those playoff series we've lost when the opposing goalies played well?

Well gee whiz, I guess we deserved to win at least 4 out of the last 5 playoff series we've played. I feel so much better now. :hockey::dd::banana:

One individual had a great night, the rest of the team played like shit. No we do not deserve to win.

Got a question back to you, based on your reply to me clearly your fine with the Leafs playing every period in the playoffs like they did in the 1st period last night because the goalie is part of the team right?

We did not deserve to win last night, one guy stood on his head and had one of the best periods a goalie has had in a Leaf uni in years. Play that game another 10 times and we lose 10 out of 10.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Samsonov let 3 in, one of which was terrible, he posted a .908 save %. Sure there was a nice save or 2 but my goodness it wasn’t like a vezina performance.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Sammy is part of the team. Him playing well and helping with the win is like any other player on the team playing well and helping with the win.

.615% hockey is better than meh. It is 6th best in the league.

He didn't help, he stole the game for the Leafs. If he does not stone NJ in the 1st, we dont come back in that game. If Veznia caliber goaltending is what we have to have to win because the team is so poor in front of you, that cant be something that sits well with anyone. Last time I checked points decide standings, with 3 point games winning % is not what you think it means. Ten teams (including Leafs) have more or as many points over the same time frame, only 6 teams in the East have less points over that time frame. Should be something that makes any Leaf fan pause for a second.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
The Leafs are 4th overall in the NHL this season and top 3 since Keefe took over the team despite being arguably being the team most affected by injury and the only team up there with questionable goaltending over his tenure. (The injuries and goaltending issues have a lot to with the playoffs as well)

In fact, looking at all NHL coaches with more than 225 games played, Keefe ranks as having the highest winning% of any coach...in history. (Again, goaltending has been meh which makes this crazy impressive)

If the Leafs stay top 5 with the injuries they have gone through this year, it would be a huge snub if he doesn't get an Adam's nomination IMO.

The vast majority of injuries are to players who are not part of the core, lets not over play our hand here and play the injury victim card. Pretty sure Mete, Robertson, Dahlstromm, Holowell, Murray has not been a factor for years, are not that significant of a loss.

We had an unbelievable November that disproportionately weights our season record. More recently we have been pretty unimpressive. I'm fully aware of Keefe's record. Keefe wins because he has 4 elite players, that outscore Keefe's incompetence, not because he has a great system or he is a great tactician. Paul MacLean in the press box is a better coach. The playoffs are about systems and tactics, there is a reason why we have not won any series in Keefe's tenure even though our goalies have played well enough to win every series but one series (4 quality starts or more).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
One individual had a great night, the rest of the team played like shit. No we do not deserve to win.

Got a question back to you, based on your reply to me clearly your fine with the Leafs playing every period in the playoffs like they did in the 1st period last night because the goalie is part of the team right?

We did not deserve to win last night, one guy stood on his head and had one of the best periods a goalie has had in a Leaf uni in years. Play that game another 10 times and we lose 10 out of 10.
The answer to your question is that I don't much care how we win, as long as we win.

MTL has won a couple of cups with their goalie being far and away their best player, do you think their fans mind?

And BTW, you don't win every game when your goalie has a quality start and most series, we've had the 2nd best goaltending - even when our goalies have been good, the other teams goalies have been better.

Reactions: willmma

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
He didn't help, he stole the game for the Leafs. If he does not stone NJ in the 1st, we dont come back in that game. If Veznia caliber goaltending is what we have to have to win because the team is so poor in front of you, that cant be something that sits well with anyone. Last time I checked points decide standings, with 3 point games winning % is not what you think it means. Ten teams (including Leafs) have more or as many points over the same time frame, only 6 teams in the East have less points over that time frame. Should be something that makes any Leaf fan pause for a second.

Since we are picking arbitrary dates, Leafs are .700 pts% since Feb 13th.

Also, Leafs scored 4 goals in the game against the devils. I wouldn't say they needed Sammy to steal it for them. Also, Sammy was good, but at 0.909 was not vezina caliber.

Your story doesn't check out.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
then maybe New Jersey shouldn't have played a terrible second? maybe they should learn to play the full 60... because their 2nd period didn't look like they deserved to win either...

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

I still like the claim that Holl is superior to both Schenn and McCabe

I like Holl but I'm not enamoured with him and when he makes a mistake and he makes some doozy's, no doubt it's normally costly. Holl pinches but only within the rotation the Leafs use, it's a set play that's always from the right side, he's a big body and they like the match up it gives them when the 6'4"Holl goes down to keep a cycle going or shake a puck loose, where it goes wrong is when somebody misses an assignment. Anybody with a level 2 CHA coaching certificate will tell you that.

McCabe is better on both sides of the puck, than is Holl, his stats bare this out, and he skates better than any Leafs blueliner not named Brodie, Reilly or Liljegren. So no Holl is not a better all round Dman.

There's not a Leafs Dman that hasn't made multiple fatal errors this season, wait that's not quite right I meant not any NHL Dman in any season!

I really don't get why some of you guys think Holl is supposed to be perfect, it's baffling.

Reactions: aingefan

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

I like Holl but I'm not enamoured with him and when he makes a mistake and he makes some doozy's, no doubt it's normally costly. Holl pinches but only within the rotation the Leafs use, it's a set play that's always from the right side, he's a big body and they like the match up it gives them when the 6'4"Holl goes down to keep a cycle going or shake a puck loose, where it goes wrong is when somebody misses an assignment. Anybody with a level 2 CHA coaching certificate will tell you that.

McCabe is better on both sides of the puck, than is Holl, his stats bare this out, and he skates better than any Leafs blueliner not named Brodie, Reilly or Liljegren. So no Holl is not a better all round Dman.

There's not a Leafs Dman that hasn't made multiple fatal errors this season, wait that's not quite right I meant not any NHL Dman in any season!

I really don't get why some of you guys think Holl is supposed to be perfect, it's baffling.
Heard the exact same argument for Ceci.
It starts with skating and ends with passing and shooting.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
then maybe New Jersey shouldn't have played a terrible second? maybe they should learn to play the full 60... because their 2nd period didn't look like they deserved to win either...

Which of course is not the point at all.

sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.u2.png

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Since we are picking arbitrary dates, Leafs are .700 pts% since Feb 13th.

Also, Leafs scored 4 goals in the game against the devils. I wouldn't say they needed Sammy to steal it for them. Also, Sammy was good, but at 0.909 was not vezina caliber.

Your story doesn't check out.

1) Never go into data analysis, you'll epically fail.

2) Over the time you picked we played Columbus twice, Chicago twice, Montreal once, Calgary once and Vancouver once, are you making a point that we should have had a good record? Because 9th in the East over that time is kinda shitty don't you think? Thanks Captain Obvious.

3) Sometimes basic reading skills come into play when replying to someone. I was clearly referencing the 1st period when I pointed out Sammy was playing Veznia level.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
The answer to your question is that I don't much care how we win, as long as we win.

MTL has won a couple of cups with their goalie being far and away their best player, do you think their fans mind?

And BTW, you don't win every game when your goalie has a quality start and most series, we've had the 2nd best goaltending - even when our goalies have been good, the other teams goalies have been better.

So you are kinda missing the point, no you are missing the point. If your goalie has a quality start, that means it gives the team a chance to win, he is not the reason why you lose. Keefe who in his utter brilliant strategy to win a series does not line match. He publicly stated that he does not line match he wants the other team to line match, he loads up one line with three super stars and then has 3 lines of leftovers, brilliant strategy. In his brilliant coaching style spends the intermission before OT in game 6 vs Montreal giving the team the " who wants to be a hero " speech, no going over X's and O's, not discussing strategy but giving a speech you'd expect to see in a Mighty Ducks movie. In every sense of the word this guy is a dullard.

If you have goalies giving you quality starts and 4 super stars, two super star centers. You should, if your coach has half a brain win at least one series in 5 years.

Put it this way would you prefer your goalies to have no quality starts or four quality starts in a 7 game series? If you are being honest we both know which one you'd pick.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So you are kinda missing the point, no you are missing the point. If your goalie has a quality start, that means it gives the team a chance to win, he is not the reason why you lose. Keefe who in his utter brilliant strategy to win a series does not line match. He publicly stated that he does not line match he wants the other team to line match, he loads up one line with three super stars and then has 3 lines of leftovers, brilliant strategy. In his brilliant coaching style spends the intermission before OT in game 6 vs Montreal giving the team the " who wants to be a hero " speech, no going over X's and O's, not discussing strategy but giving a speech you'd expect to see in a Mighty Ducks movie. In every sense of the word this guy is a dullard.

If you have goalies giving you quality starts and 4 super stars, two super star centers. You should, if your coach has half a brain win at least one series in 5 years.

Put it this way would you prefer your goalies to have no quality starts or four quality starts in a 7 game series? If you are being honest we both know which one you'd pick.

They probably had over 200 hours of practice or more to go over the "X's and O's". Also, do you mind posting the entire 20 min intermission?

You write a lot of fan fiction here.
The vast majority of injuries are to players who are not part of the core, lets not over play our hand here and play the injury victim card. Pretty sure Mete, Robertson, Dahlstromm, Holowell, Murray has not been a factor for years, are not that significant of a loss.

We had an unbelievable November that disproportionately weights our season record. More recently we have been pretty unimpressive. I'm fully aware of Keefe's record. Keefe wins because he has 4 elite players, that outscore Keefe's incompetence, not because he has a great system or he is a great tactician. Paul MacLean in the press box is a better coach. The playoffs are about systems and tactics, there is a reason why we have not won any series in Keefe's tenure even though our goalies have played well enough to win every series but one series (4 quality starts or more).

You seem to just hate Keefe, not sure what reason there is for that, but might want to look into it.

Try using logic when posting, please.

MacLean
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 6.35.49 AM.png

Keefe
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 6.36.26 AM.png

Also, check Brind'Amour's playoff record... he is .500, and I know a lot of people think he is the best or one of the best coaches in the league.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I don’t think there’s any mystery what Kerfoot is. Like I always say, you break down every facet of his game, it’s quality. Has that agility and near elite speed, handles the puck clean like a dream. Not a high vision guy but heads up. Good passing. Hustle and jam for his size. Eye test, he’s a great practice player. Just when you add it up, it’s somehow less than the sum.

If he was paid $2 million and under, he’d be a no brainer fan favourite doing more than Lafferty, Acciari. But he’s like one of the few middle class guys on a top heavy team and doesn’t seem to be able to generate any offense approaching his salary.
Excellent analysis

Reactions: Puckstuff

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Because 9th in the East over that time is kinda shitty don't you think?
For the record, they're 4th in the conference and 7th in the league over the specified time period, not "9th in the East". Not sure why you started picking out arbitrary time periods in the first place. We're 4th in the league this year. That's pretty great, especially considering the injuries we've faced.
I was clearly referencing the 1st period when I pointed out Sammy was playing Veznia level.
Games aren't one period.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

No player is perfect, but Holl is a lot better than people think. It seems to be a Leaf Nation tradition to scapegoat one Dman, it's been Holl for the last couple of years and it makes me a bit sad. Guy's playing above his pay grade, can't ask for anything more than that.

You're quite arrogant and condescending for someone who keeps failing to understand what it is you're reading. Hint - I never said the goalies were the reason we lost. Can you do better?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Justin Holl has a better +/- than Mitch Marner this year.

Justin Holl's +/- in the Sheldon Keefe era.... 4 seasons +13, +16, +14, +15..... Combined +58, 3rd on the team, 1st amongst Defensemen.

I wonder how many people think Justin Holl is the best defensive defenseman on the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Playing under 21 minutes per game, he's obviously being sheltered.
:sarcasm:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Holl being successful on the PK and dying minutes, IMO has more to do with the entire unit focusing defensively than it does with his under appreciated ability. It's always been apparent that he struggles the most during the normal flow of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad