Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win 4-2! | How Kessel Got His Groove Back!

Coop

Feb 13, 2009
They said this last year as well. Why didn't they do the surgery in the off-season? The injury is clearly effecting his play.

My guess is he had the option to let it heal via rest during the offseason and it wasn't healing as fast as expected so now that it isn't healed (and it probably won't with all the on ice activity), he will play out this season and opt for surgery afterwards.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Three star
1)Phil Kessel
2) the refs
3) Dion Phaneuf

really, the reffing must have made ducks fans go crazy. And they were the turning point in the game as we scored our first goal on the gunnarsson "boarding" LOL. Then they got denied a penalty shot while JVR got his... Lets be real here, we were heavily favored. Btw that JVR 'pass' to kessel on the first goal was pure fluke, he was just trying to get it on net.

Other than that, I thought we played well. Lupul, gardiner, bernier, JVR also had really good games.

Meh, refs were bad on both sides, it's not like the Ducks didn't have a 1:30 5-on-3 that they couldn't capitalize on or anything.

11-12, 2nd game of season. HNiC against Sens. It is the same dude.

I was at that game too, and that was the night where he started his season long tear that got him into the top 10 in NHL scoring! :nod::D Here's hoping this starts another tear!

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
The booing wasn't really noticeable in the building, at least where I was sitting.

The entire Team played very well with the exception of Raymond. He looked like he was playing scared. He had some really bad shifts especially the 2nd Duck goal. You could see he knew it, skated off by himself before eventually making his way to the bench. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sitting once the full roster is available, unless he turns it around.

Something I thought was interesting.
I sat beside a Season Ticket holder from Chicago who was in town on business. Said he was very impressed with how intense the crowd at the ACC is, much more than Chicago. Noted how they really follow the play and understand what's going on instead of just making noise for the sake of it.

It didn't sound like intense booing but it was noticeable while watching on TV.

Raymond is part of the full roster. The three forwards currently missing have been filled in by Smith, Bodie, Leivo, Ashton, Broll and Abbott. I wouldn't read too much just yet into one game.

I would say that he must not be strapped for cash to pay for season tickets when he doesn't get to go to many of the games but knowing what the secondary market is like in Toronto, I know he's making his money back. I've said this for the past few years using my own experiences at the ACC. The crowd reacts to plays on the ice. They aren't going to be making a ton of noise when the puck is being passed back and forth in the neutral zone. It doesn't create noise throughout the entire game but people are actually following the play. In my experience, there isn't a fight that goes unnoticed. There isn't a big hit that goes unnoticed. There isn't a great save that goes unnoticed. There isn't a great scoring chance that goes unnoticed. There are a lot of things that people are paying attention to and reacting to outside of goals scored. I'd have no voice by the end of the game if I was constantly yelling even when there was no need to.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It didn't sound like intense booing but it was noticeable while watching on TV.

Raymond is part of the full roster. The three forwards currently missing have been filled in by Smith, Bodie, Leivo, Ashton, Broll and Abbott. I wouldn't read too much just yet into one game.

I would say that he must not be strapped for cash to pay for season tickets when he doesn't get to go to many of the games but knowing what the secondary market is like in Toronto, I know he's making his money back. I've said this for the past few years using my own experiences at the ACC. The crowd reacts to plays on the ice. They aren't going to be making a ton of noise when the puck is being passed back and forth in the neutral zone. It doesn't create noise throughout the entire game but people are actually following the play. In my experience, there isn't a fight that goes unnoticed. There isn't a big hit that goes unnoticed. There isn't a great save that goes unnoticed. There isn't a great scoring chance that goes unnoticed. There are a lot of things that people are paying attention to and reacting to outside of goals scored. I'd have no voice by the end of the game if I was constantly yelling even when there was no need to.

He lives in Chicago and has Hawk Season tickets, thus the comparison. He is here for the week on business.

I realize with Raymond it was one game, one awful game. I don't expect him to continue playing like that but if he does, he'll be watching.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
He lives in Chicago and has Hawk Season tickets, thus the comparison. He is here for the week on business.

I realize with Raymond it was one game, one awful game. I don't expect him to continue playing like that but if he does, he'll be watching.

Ohhh, when you said season ticket holder, I just assumed he was a Torontonian working in Chicago, lol.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Three star
1)Phil Kessel
2) the refs
3) Dion Phaneuf

really, the reffing must have made ducks fans go crazy. And they were the turning point in the game as we scored our first goal on the gunnarsson "boarding" LOL. Then they got denied a penalty shot while JVR got his... Lets be real here, we were heavily favored. Btw that JVR 'pass' to kessel on the first goal was pure fluke, he was just trying to get it on net.

Perry was wrecking ball all game long and literally asked for that penalty. He was agitated and played stupid and reckless. They got this call right at very least. :help:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Ohhh, when you said season ticket holder, I just assumed he was a Torontonian working in Chicago, lol.

I guess I wasn't that clear.

I've never been to a game in Chicago but know of it's reputation. It was interesting to hear his take on the difference in the two crowds.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
a "60 minute game" has to be one of the biggest fallacies in hockey. no team, no matter how good, consistently plays well for 60 minutes. hockey is a game of mistakes and bounces - **** happens and that will never change.

True, but I was only referring to a 60 minute effort, and that shouldn't be too much to ask for on most nights. If this team has the desire to match it's skillset, it will be one of the top teams in the East.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Perry was wrecking ball all game long and literally asked for that penalty. He was agitated and played stupid and reckless. They got this call right at very least. :help:

yep, it was cumulative for Perry.

In fact, right after Phaneuf crushed Palmieri in the corner, Perry came up and started jawing at Dion and trying to start something. Then he went out the very next shift looking for revenge, got overaggressive on Gunnar, and got the penalty. The refs were watching him the whole way.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If you think about it, without that hattrick, right now we have the Schenn brothers instead of Kadri and JVR.

that is scary, scary $hit right there.

That game set the rebuild back years experts have claimed.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
That game set the rebuild back years experts have claimed.

It actually did at the time. There was nothing wrong with that claim. I honestly believe if Brayden Schenn was given the Kadri treatment (i.e. accountability and hard work required), he may have developed further than he has now. Burke's just a magician, that's one of the major reasons why we turned out better than what we thought would've happened.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Did anyone know that Kessel actually paid to have 20 children with cancer attend last night's game? Had no idea. He put on a show for them too :handclap: Such a good guy.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It actually did at the time. There was nothing wrong with that claim. I honestly believe if Brayden Schenn was given the Kadri treatment (i.e. accountability and hard work required), he may have developed further than he has now. Burke's just a magician, that's one of the major reasons why we turned out better than what we thought would've happened.

Yep. It's easy with hindsight. Burke wanted B Schenn ahead of Kadri, no doubt about it.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Do you mean with the Kings or Flyers? I'm assuming you mean Flyers because Schenn wasn't a regular with the Kings. Not sure what bigger message you can send to a player to be accountable, work hard and make an impression than to regularly send him down to the minors and allow him to work himself onto the team.

Tyler Biggs*

Not sure what was said in the locker-room during the 1st intermission, but the Leafs came out blazing for the final two periods. Keep it up!

Not quite a complete game played, but definitely a step in the right direction. Glad they won for the coach! Looking forward to an infusion of grit from Clarkson. Go Leafs Go!

The Ducks are a good team but they would be even better if they had Lupul and Gardiner in the lineup instead of Beachemin...steal of the decade.

Quite the game, not just by Kessel but the Leafs as a whole. Nice job, GG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyler Biggs*

Hey!! Where are all the aaaole Hab losers tonight....oh yeah they lost, Leafs won, you never see them now....GO LEAFS GO!!!

Leafs win, Habs lose, all is right in the world!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad