Post-Game Talk: LEAFS WIN! 3-1! Flyers ain't flying tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Let's hear more about how pointless the offseason acquisitions were. Our goaltending tandem will be the key to this seasons success.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I find it funny that some (not all) people are throwing Reimer under the bus just because Bernier won last night. I don't see why people are pitting them against each other. They play for the same team. People should be happy that they both had solid outings in their first games of the season.

were not throwing reimer under the bus... Reimer is a 1b goalie who can start for u and is a very capable goalie... he just doesnt have the tangibles to make him a 1a goalie like bernier does... rebound control puck handling glove hand.... all things Reimer needs to work on if he wants to be a 1a goalie....Bernier has his flaws too, but he has the tangibles to be a lot better than Reimer, id be very happy if Reimer won this goalie battle... but i cant see it happening. and its mostly stupid posters saying Reimer>Bernier(#teamreimer.....)... Bernier proved last night why he has the potential to be a franchise goalie... im surprised to see that not a lot of people are all over him.

leafstilldeath*

Pens are gonna part with Malkin I think with their cap situation and lack of decent goalies. But why should we go for Malkin when Stamkos will be coming home;)

Kyle Doobas*

Let's hear more about how pointless the offseason acquisitions were. Our goaltending tandem will be the key to this seasons success.
No kidding. A couple of years ago that game would've been over after the first period. You can't understate the value of having two guys in net who give the team a chance to win every game.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
were not throwing reimer under the bus... Reimer is a 1b goalie who can start for u and is a very capable goalie... he just doesnt have the tangibles to make him a 1a goalie like bernier does... rebound control puck handling glove hand.... all things Reimer needs to work on if he wants to be a 1a goalie....Bernier has his flaws too, but he has the tangibles to be a lot better than Reimer, id be very happy if Reimer won this goalie battle... but i cant see it happening. and its mostly stupid posters saying Reimer>Bernier(#teamreimer.....)... Bernier proved last night why he has the potential to be a franchise goalie... im surprised to see that not a lot of people are all over him.

The reason why so many people aren't all over Bernier is emotional attachment to a degree. I feel that I myself am guilty of this as well. I really want Reimer to win the job simply because he's the first legit goalie we've had in years and he took us to the playoffs. He's also got an amazing character so that works in his favor too. However, I can't ignore the fact that Bernier is simply the better goalie in all aspects and in this game, the better player always gets the job.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I'd start Reimer next game and Bernier against Colorado. I thought both goalies played very well and although Bernier had the better start, Reimer's 8-1-1 record against Ottawa is just too much to ignore.

Really though there is no "wrong" answer on who to start. For the first time in a long time I am completely confident in both our goalies :nod:

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
Pens are gonna part with Malkin I think with their cap situation and lack of decent goalies. But why should we go for Malkin when Stamkos will be coming home;)

Call it a pipe dream, but that was the first thing I thought of when Stamkos signed his current deal and it was confirmed that it'd end right on his first year of UFA eligibility. He's coming back. :yo::sarcasm:

Kyle Doobas*

I'd start Reimer next game and Bernier against Colorado. I thought both goalies played very well and although Bernier had the better start, Reimer's 8-1-1 record against Ottawa is just too much to ignore.

Really though there is no "wrong" answer on who to start. For the first time in a long time I am completely confident in both our goalies :nod:
I'd do the same. Bernier's also likely more familiar with Colorado's shooters, etc.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
No kidding. A couple of years ago that game would've been over after the first period. You can't understate the value of having two guys in net who give the team a chance to win every game.

The more likely scenario is Caryle has to flip a coin before the playoffs to decide who the starter is. ;)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bernier needs to face Ottawa eventually, and Reimer needs to get used to the western teams. Might as well get some of that out of the way eventually.

leafstilldeath*

Call it a pipe dream, but that was the first thing I thought of when Stamkos signed his current deal and it was confirmed that it'd end right on his first year of UFA eligibility. He's coming back. :yo::sarcasm:

After all home is where heart dwells. Stamkos will be a Leaf!

Please let it happen God.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
From hockeydb and nhl.com

James Reimer
Born Mar 15 1988 -- Winnipeg, MAN
[25 yrs. ago]
Height 6.02 -- Weight 208 [188 cm/94 kg]

NUMBER: 34 BIRTHDATE: March 15, 1988 (AGE 25)
HEIGHT: 6' 2" BIRTHPLACE: Morweena, MB, Canada
WEIGHT: 208

Jonathan Bernier
Born Aug 7 1988 -- Laval, PQ
[25 yrs. ago]
Height 5.11 -- Weight 186 [180 cm/84 kg]

NUMBER: 45 BIRTHDATE: August 7, 1988 (AGE 25)
HEIGHT: 6' 0" BIRTHPLACE: Laval, QC, Canada
WEIGHT: 185

You can't work on getting taller.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
From hockeydb and nhl.com

James Reimer
Born Mar 15 1988 -- Winnipeg, MAN
[25 yrs. ago]
Height 6.02 -- Weight 208 [188 cm/94 kg]

NUMBER: 34 BIRTHDATE: March 15, 1988 (AGE 25)
HEIGHT: 6' 2" BIRTHPLACE: Morweena, MB, Canada
WEIGHT: 208

Jonathan Bernier
Born Aug 7 1988 -- Laval, PQ
[25 yrs. ago]
Height 5.11 -- Weight 186 [180 cm/84 kg]

NUMBER: 45 BIRTHDATE: August 7, 1988 (AGE 25)
HEIGHT: 6' 0" BIRTHPLACE: Laval, QC, Canada
WEIGHT: 185

You can't work on getting taller.

Give and take a few pounds and a few inches, and a few months on the birt dates and they are exactly the same lol

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown

Technically it eats a year of UFA eligibility, but either way I don't think he ever sees UFA. As much as I'd love to see it happen, they were talking about how Kessel would have been the youngest FA ever, Stamkos would have him beat by half a year. If Tampa thinks he's going to leave, they'll trade him, but I think he's going to be a lifer over there which sucks :(

As for the goalies, I'll admit I'm bias towards Bernier, I want him to win the job and reach his potential and become a piece of the long-term here, but this season, right now, I just want both to keep pushing each other and give us the best goaltending tandem we've had in...forever. If they could match each other blow for blow, similar to how Elliot and Halak did a couple years ago, we'll be in a very nice position come April.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Technically it eats a year of UFA eligibility, but either way I don't think he ever sees UFA. As much as I'd love to see it happen, they were talking about how Kessel would have been the youngest FA ever, Stamkos would have him beat by half a year. If Tampa thinks he's going to leave, they'll trade him, but I think he's going to be a lifer over there which sucks :(

As for the goalies, I'll admit I'm bias towards Bernier, I want him to win the job and reach his potential and become a piece of the long-term here, but this season, right now, I just want both to keep pushing each other and give us the best goaltending tandem we've had in...forever. If they could match each other blow for blow, similar to how Elliot and Halak did a couple years ago, we'll be in a very nice position come April.

If they cant become a playoff team by the time his contract is up, I wont be shocked if he moves on.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo

Last season, Reimer posted the highest sv % of any Leafs' goalie, ever.

Have the Leafs never had a 1A goalie?

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Ranger will be better next game. He has a lot of rust but you can see flashes of what he can do. I'm sure the last two games have gone by in a blur for him.

Sens will be dragging their butts on Sat so it is a good time for Rielly and Ranger to get going.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Last season, Reimer posted the highest sv % of any Leafs' goalie, ever.

Have the Leafs never had a 1A goalie?

If you dug into the stats you could probably find a number of 33 game stretches with a better save percentage by Leafs goalies. 33 games is about half of what a started would be expected to play in a real season, you're reading too much into it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If this comment is about stamkos as I think it is...then yes. He'll be gone if they can't move anywhere. Personally think he signed that short contract so he can hit th UFA quick.

to be a Leaf!
no seriously - i've stated it before, but I don't think, (even as an 18 year old rookie), you admit to scoreboard watching and wondering how far the Leafs will fall so maybe they can draft him. there's so much grooming with these players, that's heart speaking.

anif we just keep playing the way we've been playing (making playoffs, win a round or two) before 2016, and then wave that carrot:

A: we want you home
B: we're turning 100, huge celebratory year
blah bleeebluuu.

even if Tampa was a juggernaught - the draw to play home could speak volumes. (see: Clarkson, McClement, Kessel.. okay not HIS home, but he wanted out of Boston to play here AND just signed the contract extension. it's practically home).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad