Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1 in OT

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Anyone miss McCabe tonight?.....No.

Just remember the previous GM traded a 2025 1st and 2026 2nd round pick for him. People here complaining about "not going all in"......this roster doesn't deserve to have any more assets spent on it. Spend this off-season removing more of the Dubas stink (Brodie, McCabe, Timmons, Jarnkrok) and see if next years version is worth investing into.
McCabe has been great, and is signed for just 2 million for next year too. Timmins* has only played 16 games this year, how is he stopping Treliving from needing to improve the team? Just because he exists and Dubas traded for him, Treliving is allowed to punt this season away?

Reactions: Nineteen67

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Gutsy win in light of illness running through the team (Matthews looked pretty rough postgame).

Now in 8th place in the league on a 14-4 run with 5 of the wins coming against teams above us in the overall standings.

Sucks that we now have to face the Bruins again on back to back and 3rd in 4th night with the team wracked with sickness but it is what it is.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Snoozer for sure. Not happy with the goal we gave up, Rielly can’t just let that shot happen - he needs to get in front of the attacker and get a stick on that. Glad we got 2 points.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Snoozer for sure. Not happy with the goal we gave up, Rielly can’t just let that shot happen - he needs to get in front of the attacker and get a stick on that. Glad we got 2 points.
Goalie could have been squared up a little closer to the center of the net, but you can’t give that guy that much time and space to rip it.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Anyone miss McCabe tonight?.....No.

Just remember the previous GM traded a 2025 1st and 2026 2nd round pick for him. People here complaining about "not going all in"......this roster doesn't deserve to have any more assets spent on it. Spend this off-season removing more of the Dubas stink (Brodie, McCabe, Timmons, Jarnkrok) and see if next years version is worth investing into.
McCabe is one of the good surprises.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Gutsy win in light of illness running through the team (Matthews looked pretty rough postgame).

Now in 8th place in the league on a 14-4 run with 5 of the wins coming against teams above us in the overall standings.

Sucks that we now have to face the Bruins again on back to back and 3rd in 4th night with the team wracked with sickness but it is what it is.
11th by regulation PTS%. We've been crazy hot scoring gimmick points this season, I took a quick peek at the standings and I can't find one team over the last few years who's PTS% is as much higher than their regulation PTS% as ours is.

There's no gimmick points in the playoffs though so 11th overall is a better indication of our "cup chances" :rolleyes:.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
11th by regulation PTS%. We've been crazy hot scoring gimmick points this season, I took a quick peek at the standings and I can't find one team over the last few years who's PTS% is as much higher than their regulation PTS% as ours is.

There's no gimmick points in the playoffs though so 11th overall is a better indication of our "cup chances" :rolleyes:.

No it isn’t. You cannot just assume that because we didn’t win in regulation we wouldn’t win in extended 5 on 5.

Regulation points percentage is very close to meaningless and no one talked about it before this season.

We may not have won those games in regulation but the other team couldn’t beat us in 60 minutes either.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No it isn’t. You cannot just assume that because we didn’t win in regulation we wouldn’t win in extended 5 on 5.

Regulation points percentage is very close to meaningless and no one talked about it before this season
I'm not assuming anything, where are you getting this from?

Gimmick points are meaningless when we're talking about the teams chances in the playoffs. Not close to meaningless either, just meaningless, period.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
11 games against Eastern teams now, they have won 0 in regulation. Maybe we make too much of a big deal about regulation wins, but they also have a losing record during that 11 game stretch. Dates back to late December. It's uncanny how they just can not beat an eastern team in regulation.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
11 games against Eastern teams now, they have won 0 in regulation. Maybe we make too much of a big deal about regulation wins, but they also have a losing record during that 11 game stretch. Dates back to late December. It's uncanny how they just can not beat an eastern team in regulation.
Just like OT and shootouts and the infamous "regulation wins" argument, it's a completely random stat without any predictive value. Taken over a long enough sample size, all of these types of stats even out. One year a team may have a poor divisional record, and then the next season a great divisional record.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Gimmick points are meaningless when we're talking about the teams chances in the playoffs. Not close to meaningless either, just meaningless, period.

I’m not saying you did assume anything. I’m saying you can’t. Dropping all our OT games from our record is nonsense, because even ignoring the so called gimmick points (which I’m also not a fan of) we were in position to win every single one of those games if they continued 5-on-5 extended play by simply scoring next.

One can very easily flip this whole thing around to say teams have rarely been able to beat us in regulation and that bodes well for playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I wonder if there's some sort of parallel to be drawn between this, and our inability to win in the playoffs? Like the standard reason people give for not being able to beat Ottawa, MTL etc. even though those teams are far below us in the standings is that "beating us is their Stanley Cup". So basically those teams "get up" for us, they decide that they really want to win, and instead of saying f*** you, we also want to win and we're better than you so we're going to win, we just sort of shrug and say OK if you want it that badly, take it I guess. So we just aren't able to raise our effort level to match the opponent, not against our divisional rivals, not in JT's return to Long Island (the most embarrassing regular season example), and not in game 7 in the playoffs.

I love the term WIM = "wants it more". The team with the most WIM usually wins, and it's usually not us.

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Boston has gone to OT and shootouts more times than the Leafs, so I'm not sure it's a stat that means much. Regular season OT is such a joke that I don't think it has any predictive value whatsoever. I hate watching it (I think I actually hate it more than the shootout, and I really hate shootouts), and 100 times out of a 100 I would rather see a tie than a goofy 3 on 3 overtime win. If the league absolutely has to avoid ties, then just go straight to a 5 shot shootout after regulation.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I wonder if there's some sort of parallel to be drawn between this, and our inability to win in the playoffs? Like the standard reason people give for not being able to beat Ottawa, MTL etc. even though those teams are far below us in the standings is that "beating us it their Stanley Cup". So basically those teams "get up" for us, they decide that they really want to win, and instead of saying f*** you, we also want to win and we're better than you so we're going to win, we just sort of shrug and say OK if you want it that badly, take it I guess. So we just aren't able to raise our effort level to match the opponent, not against our divisional rivals, not in JT's return to Long Island (the most embarrassing regular season example), and not in game 7 in the playoffs.

I love the term WIM = "wants it more". The team with the most WIM usually wins, and it's usually not us.
I think the only common theme is that the Leafs struggle when teams clog up the middle of the ice. That's it. Doesn't matter who the opposition is - when the middle of the ice is taken away from the Leafs and they are forced to the outside, they have historically had difficult adapting. Personally, I think it is less a "will to win" issue and more a coaching and systems issue. But the coach ain't changing this season, so let's see if he comes up with some new strategies in the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just like OT and shootouts and the infamous "regulation wins" argument, it's a completely random stat without any predictive value. Taken over a long enough sample size, all of these types of stats even out. One year a team may have a poor divisional record, and then the next season a great divisional record.
Normally this would be true (and maybe it is true in this case as well). Would be interesting to back long enough, say 10 years and see what our record is against OTT/MTL/BUF. It feels like we can't beat those teams no matter what but I could be easily be wrong. I do remember one year we lost to Boston in the playoffs we swept them during the regular season so there is that.
I’m not saying you did assume anything. I’m saying you can’t. Dropping all our OT games from our record is nonsense, because even ignoring the so called gimmick points (which I’m also not a fan of) we were in position to win every single one of those games if they continued 5-on-5 extended play by simply scoring next.

One can very easily flip this whole thing around to say teams have rarely been able to beat us in regulation and that bodes well for playoffs.
I'm just stating facts. Gimmick points are not counted for regulation PTS% and there are no gimmick points in the playoffs. Those are facts, not assumptions. Does that help?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Boston has gone to OT and shootouts more times than the Leafs, so I'm not sure it's a stat that means much. Regular season OT is such a joke that I don't think it has any predictive value whatsoever. I hate watching it (I think I actually hate it more than the shootout, and I really hate shootouts), and 100 times out of a 100 I would rather see a tie than a goofy 3 on 3 overtime win. If the league absolutely has to avoid ties, then just go straight to a 5 shot shootout after regulation.
I agree, 3on3 OT is a gimmick, and as such it has zero predictive value. Regulation PTS% has more predictive value for the playoffs for that simple reason.

If the league really wants these gimmicks because fans find them entertaining then they should not award point for them in the standings. Instead, tally them separately and use them as a tie breaker at the end of the season. That's the best suggestion I've heard so far anyway (wasn't my idea). That way they count for something so not completely meaningless, but they count for so little that they don't mess up the standings the way they do now.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Normally this would be true (and maybe it is true in this case as well). Would be interesting to back long enough, say 10 years and see what our record is against OTT/MTL/BUF. It feels like we can't beat those teams no matter what but I could be easily be wrong. I do remember one year we lost to Boston in the playoffs we swept them during the regular season so there is that.
I think there are a lot of examples where one team has dominated the other during the regular season, and then the opposite occurs when those two teams meet in the playoffs in that season. I just think it points to how largely irrelevant the regular season is in hockey compared to the playoffs.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I wonder if there's some sort of parallel to be drawn between this, and our inability to win in the playoffs? Like the standard reason people give for not being able to beat Ottawa, MTL etc. even though those teams are far below us in the standings is that "beating us it their Stanley Cup". So basically those teams "get up" for us, they decide that they really want to win, and instead of saying f*** you, we also want to win and we're better than you so we're going to win, we just sort of shrug and say OK if you want it that badly, take it I guess. So we just aren't able to raise our effort level to match the opponent, not against our divisional rivals, not in JT's return to Long Island (the most embarrassing regular season example), and not in game 7 in the playoffs.

Yes, I do think there is truth to that. We know the core lacks “killer instinct”, and you can not teach it. The positive about last night, Marner and Matthews found a way to finish off the Sabres. Even if it was in OT.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I agree, 3on3 OT is a gimmick, and as such it has zero predictive value. Regulation PTS% has more predictive value for the playoffs for that simple reason.

If the league really wants these gimmicks because fans find them entertaining then they should not award point for them in the standings. Instead, tally them separately and use them as a tie breaker at the end of the season. That's the best suggestion I've heard so far anyway (wasn't my idea). That way they count for something so not completely meaningless, but they count for so little that they don't mess up the standings the way they do now.
I would take this. It's better than the current approach. I appreciate that many people probably think regular season overtime is entertaining, but it is the single biggest thing I hate about the NHL. That said, I know that it isn't going away or changing anytime soon. I'm sure the league loves how it keeps 80% of the teams within a few points of each other.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs have 7 gimmick points…. Even if we get rid of them and include only regulation points (tie point included), they would still be in a playoff spot.

Seems like a non-issue

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

We're also 4th in the league since Jan. 1st, had our starting goalie melt down mid season and had to go down to the minors and have been decimated by injures on the backend much of the year, far worse than any other team.

You don't always have to spin things as a negative. The fact we are even 11th on the season as you said speaks to the teams resiliency, not its issues.

I'm not a fan of the gimmicks either but don't try to say this isn't a good NHL team, one that should be buying hard ATM.

If you still want to talk about 5v5 play, how about we talk about how the Leafs have been one of the best defensive teams in the league the last 2 and a half months. Fewest shots against in the league 5v5 Over that span?

Reactions: arso40 and kb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Fast game with limited time and space on puck .. it felt like a game closer to playoff hokey .. Matty looked tired (hope he is not going under da weather) .. big congrats to Sammy for da extra point .. what a 10-beller to get us an extra point from one of top 5 power shooters in league in da kill zone .. and kudos to Mitch's magic edge work behind net and beauty pass (there are only 2/3 guys who can do that play) .. i had a great view looking down on it and it was magnificent .. but what a game from Willy .. great to see Willy back to best player on da ice again .. have not seen in awhile .. he had his wheels flying and Sabres could not do anything but watch .. bring it tonight too Willy thanks . glg

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm just stating facts. Gimmick points are not counted for regulation PTS% and there are no gimmick points in the playoffs. Those are facts, not assumptions. Does that help?

Again, I never said you made any assumptions. I’m just talking about how little meaning I think the stat has.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We're also 4th in the league since Jan. 1st, had our starting goalie melt down mid season and had to go down to the minors and have been decimated by injures on the backend much of the year, far worse than any other team.

You don't always have to spin things as a negative. The fact we are even 11th on the season as you said speaks to the teams resiliency, not its issues.

I'm not a fan of the gimmicks either but don't try to say this isn't a good NHL team, one that should be buying hard ATM.

If you still want to talk about 5v5 play, how about we talk about how the Leafs have been one of the best defensive teams in the league the last 2 and a half months. Fewest shots against in the league 5v5 Over that span?
I'm not spinning anything, just stating facts. I also didn't say this isn't a good team, decimated on the back end far more than any other team, that I would however classify as hyperbole. It's like when people complain about how Brodie/Giordano have lost it and are now pretty useless, it's not that big a deal when they miss a few games. Our biggest injury problem was then Rielly got suspended, and then we won every game.

Funny that you complain about spin when you're the one spinning here the way you focus on injuries to our D, and ignore that our forwards have been in close to perfect health all season. I mean come on now, if you want to complain about spinning, you should make more of an effort to be objective yourself.

Again, I never said you made any assumptions. I’m just talking about how little meaning I think the stat has.
Maybe we can agree then that none of it means anything when the playoffs start. It's a new season, hope spring eternal, yada yada yada.

I think our cup chances are near zero this time around. But when the playoffs start, I'll probably forget about all that and turn into an 8 year old kid again as usual, hoping my team can go all the way.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad