OT: Leafs will win the cup in 2020 articles

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Ive been tasked to created a presentation for my upper year business communications class to try and persuade the class into believing something, and the topic I came up with has been one thats been floating around for the past year or two. What I am asking you fellow HFLeafers is if you guys could kindly push me in the right direction to articles, graphs, charts that could help with case.

Thank you in advanced

Respectfully,

Garrett.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Good luck lol. :laugh:

No but seriously I think one of the strongest points for this is showing the Leafs strengths, their young stars. Presenting comparisons of past superstar players and the players we have today, showcasing their rookie numbers and projected numbers and comparing them to other players in their rookie or sophomore season. As far as charts and graphs go I guess there's the advanced stats you could showcase. Think it might be harder to correlate to winning cups but I'm sure some put the Leafs in a very good light.

Auston Matthews a 'young Mario Lemieux,' says Capitals coach | CBC Sports
Trotz comparing Matthews to Lemieux in the series against the Caps. Not sure how over the top you want to be but there's all sorts of comparisons for Matthews to past super stars.

Also have you seen this article?
https://thehockeywriters.com/toronto-maple-leafs-stanley-cup-2020/
"Leafs will win the cup in 2020"
Probably a few similar ideas :sarcasm:

Chief keefe

Sep 27, 2015
Mississauga
The Stat-ley Cup: Finding trends in past Cup winners - Sportsnet.ca

For the next thing, look at the year by year record of a team like the Blackhawks and compare it the track the leafs are on. Also, mention the building of the team and how we follow a similar path. For example, drafting Kane and Matthews leading to playoff births. Technically the team that should be winning this year would Edmonton based off viewing this. Kane and mcdcvid lead to conference finals one year followed by a cup the next. Again, this isn't a sure thing but just a comparison on how other teams did by building like we did. So pretty much look at the building model and compare it to other successful teams who had a playoff drought as bad as ours.

List of Chicago Blackhawks seasons - Wikipedia

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If you want to convince a group of something like the Leafs winning thr cup when theyve grown up believing the Leafs have always sucked (unless they are Leaf fans), you have to do your best to appear to be as unbiased as possible.

I would include a part about reasons why they wouldnt win in 2020 as well. However, for each point you make that they wont win in 2020 you have to have another point that explains how they will overcome that or why its not a big deal.

For example, "leafs will have to overcome cap concerns as their big 3 will all be on their new contracts. However their GM has a great track record for getting players to sign for under market value, other teams have overcome similar problems with 3-4 star players (Pittsburgh & Chicago), and they have a lot of cap coming off in the next 3 years.

If you can provide proof (like mentioned in the above post) as well as covering the risks/why it wont happen so that you appear unbiased, and examples of successful teams with similar track records, i think thats the best way to convince people.

Edit: Not sure if that was what you were looking for though. I missed your last sentence on the first read haha

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Ive been tasked to created a presentation for my upper year business communications class to try and persuade the class into believing something, and the topic I came up with has been one thats been floating around for the past year or two. What I am asking you fellow HFLeafers is if you guys could kindly push me in the right direction to articles, graphs, charts that could help with case.

Thank you in advanced

Respectfully,

Garrett.
Are you taking this class in Toronto? Might be like preaching to the choir.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
If you want to convince a group of something like the Leafs winning thr cup when theyve grown up believing the Leafs have always sucked (unless they are Leaf fans), you have to do your best to appear to be as unbiased as possible.

I would include a part about reasons why they wouldnt win in 2020 as well. However, for each point you make that they wont win in 2020 you have to have another point that explains how they will overcome that or why its not a big deal.

For example, "leafs will have to overcome cap concerns as their big 3 will all be on their new contracts. However their GM has a great track record for getting players to sign for under market value, other teams have overcome similar problems with 3-4 star players (Pittsburgh & Chicago), and they have a lot of cap coming off in the next 3 years.

If you can provide proof (like mentioned in the above post) as well as covering the risks/why it wont happen so that you appear unbiased, and examples of successful teams with similar track records, i think thats the best way to convince people.

Edit: Not sure if that was what you were looking for though. I missed your last sentence on the first read haha
No this is great thank you so much!!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
That’s the challenge, i need to persuade that they will win
say "we have the best young complete player in the league in auston matthews, a top defencemen in morgan reilly and the best goalie in the world in andersen". chances are there are a lot of people who don't know much about hockey in your class so they will believe it

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
As a start:

I'd chart Chigago's progression, pre-Kane and Toews, to when they went onto win their first cup.

I'd then map that against Toronto's progression curve since the last place / Matthews draft season.

I'd then look at a few elite players in the league, from Crosby to Kane etc., and track their statistical progression and when they peaked, and match that up against Matthews and Nylander.

Those 2 forks mentioned above can be presented in pretty easy to understand, linear graphs, charts, and standings for your presentation.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
say "we have the best young complete player in the league in auston matthews, a top defencemen in morgan reilly and the best goalie in the world in andersen". chances are there are a lot of people who don't know much about hockey in your class so they will believe it
nah queens business is alot of hockey boys lol and the prof is a sens fan:(

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
To the OP I think you would be better served taking a project where the variables are more easily measured. You can prove they will be a top team for X years probably.

You will have to analyse all the viable competition and show they are a step behind.

You will have to factor in health probably which would relate to depth.

I'm not sure how you predict free agents, obviously getting Doughty for example changes our odds. However it would be easy to prove we are at a free agent disadvantage, my advice would be to try and portray that as a thing of the past and point to Hainsey and Marleau.

Examine Hunter's draft record, our current pick collection (which probably changes at the deadline) and our prospect pool in comparison to the league to further illustrate depth and the ability to withstand cap pressure caused by players improvement.

Lou's overall post season success - factors unique to New Jersey which could not come in to play here.

Babcock, see above.

You can also look at international success if it helps the case.

Still I see no way to form a bullet proof argument smart kids could not poke holes through, it would probably be easier to prove there is a Santa Clause or the Moon Landing was faked.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
How you can be a fan of an up and coming team and not believe it's possible for them to win a cup in three years is hard to fathom. Most fans are motivated by hope, you seem to be motivated by failure.
because it is extremely hard to win the cup and you need a lot of luck to win. imo the leafs are an unlucky team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad