Proposal: Leafs/Wild

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
This is ONLY if the Wild get the 15th overall pick from Pittsburgh...

:wild

William Nylander

:leafs

9th Overall
Greg Pateryn

Wild get a legit 30 goal scorer with term to help boost their offence, and still keep their big defenders.

Leafs get a physical depth defenceman on the right side, a top-ten pick, and cap space to make a run at an FA defender.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The value is good for Minnesota but I don't love it. It would depend on who's available at 9.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

William Nylander

9th Overall
Greg Pateryn

Wild get a legit 30 goal scorer with term to help boost their offence, and still keep their big defenders.

Leafs get a physical depth defenceman on the right side, a top-ten pick, and cap space to make a run at an FA defender.

Minnesota isn't trading the 9th. So no. Minnesota needs the 9th for a c, which Nylander isn't.

The 9th overall offers wild a chance at a true c. Also if wild acquire Nylander would have to move out a w, wild would need to move out a w

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think it's almost certain that Pittsburgh keeps that pick, but if they gave it up Minnesota would certainly have to consider this. There will be some very good players available at #9, but I'm not sure how many realistically project to be as good as Nylander is right now.

I find it weird that Toronto would trade him for pure futures though. That cap space is wasted if it isn't spent on a defenseman, and is the UFA defenseman market really that appealing?

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I think it's almost certain that Pittsburgh keeps that pick, but if they gave it up Minnesota would certainly have to consider this. There will be some very good players available at #9, but I'm not sure how many realistically project to be as good as Nylander is right now.

I find it weird that Toronto would trade him for pure futures though. That cap space is wasted if it isn't spent on a defenseman, and is the UFA defenseman market really that appealing?

You realize Minnesota needs a c & cheap contract right?

Are you willing to play 7.5 or 6 mil player on 3rd line?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You realize Minnesota needs a c & cheap contract right?

Are you willing to play 7.5 or 6 mil player on 3rd line?
I have very little faith in my ability to determine which NHL forwards can or can't play center, but I have substantially less faith in yours. Nylander has some history playing there and is open to doing so. If you can point to a concrete reason that he would make a bad center I'm willing to listen.

Regardless, there is at least as much risk that any "center" we could take at #9 ends up panning out as a winger in the NHL.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Minnesota isn't trading the 9th. So no. Minnesota needs the 9th for a c, which Nylander isn't.

The 9th overall offers wild a chance at a true c. Also if wild acquire Nylander would have to move out a w, wild would need to move out a w

If the Wild acquired Nylander it would be to play center, so the winger situation is fairly irrelevent.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

William Nylander

9th Overall
Greg Pateryn

We haven't picked this high in 8 years. I'd rather try to bridge the gap in value from 9 to 15.

Reactions: AKL

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
We’d have to take this. It sucks too because I think there will be some really good players available at 9

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I think ithis trade is a decent idea but I see no way Pittsburgh gives up this year's pick. They would anticipate next year's pick being later, and most scouts agree that this draft class is better than the 2021 class.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The 9th overall does nothing for the leafs who would have to wait atleast 2 years for the player to be on the roster. Leafs need a hockey trade not a player for picks trade. Before someone says use the money for petro, there is maybe a 10 % chance he leaves the blues. Not great odds and definitely not good enough to trade a 1 rw for a magic bean and a bottom pair rhd.

Reactions: NHL WAR and Bazeek

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The 9th overall does nothing for the leafs who would have to wait atleast 2 years for the player to be on the roster. Leafs need a hockey trade not a player for picks trade. Before someone says use the money for petro, there is maybe a 10 % chance he leaves the blues. Not great odds and definitely not good enough to trade a 1 rw for a magic bean and a bottom pair rhd.
Dumba for Nylander then

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The only deal that works for the leafs is nylander for brodin. Unfortunately that doesn't work for minnesota so any lesser deal will not work for the leafs either.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Doesn't mean they are forced to settle for a return that doesn't address a specific need, in this case preventing goals.
Dumba is as good or better defensively than anyone the Leafs had playing against the Jackets

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Dumba is as good or better defensively than anyone the Leafs had playing against the Jackets
He's not better defensively then Reilly or muzzin at all. Also just because he would be the best of what's left on a bad d core doesn't say much for him.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Dumba is every bit as good as Reilly in his own end.
Reilly has been paired with bottom pair d his whole career. Dumba is certainly not better and if the leafs get him a stable partner you will see it first hand.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We have a bottom pair rhd already. So adding him to dumba holds little to no value.
He's not better defensively then Reilly or muzzin at all. Also just because he would be the best of what's left on a bad d core doesn't say much for him.

Your only RD next year is Holl. Dumba and Pateryn would massively improve your D.

If you want to look elsewhere that's fine, but let's acknowledge the facts here.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The only deal that works for the leafs is nylander for brodin. Unfortunately that doesn't work for minnesota so any lesser deal will not work for the leafs either.
While it would make our LD uncomfortably thin, I don't think Brodin would be off the table for Nylander.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
i get the cap savings for the leafs but trading a big piece makes no sense when you are in the window & trying to be successful .
leafs will just allocat their forward dollars onto their defense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad