Leafs vs Sabres. Which Big 3 will be more successful.

Which Big 3 will be more successful

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gheald

Sponsor
Jan 2, 2010
Grande Prairie, AB
Leafs. But only because they make the first round every year. The Sabres may never make the playoffs with their 3.

Becomes what you would rather have. A team that always makes the playoffs but always fails when it matters, or a team that keeps giving their fans hope that they will finally make the playoffs before crushing their souls by continuing to suck.

At the end of the day it's a lose-lose situation.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Look at the highlights of Toronto vs Carolina. The Leafs forwards get their goals by cherry picking and abandoning defensive play. Sure, it’s how you rack up impressive point totals, but also how you blow 3 goal leads and continuously lose in the playoffs ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JadedLeaf

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Leafs aren’t built for the playoffs. Gimme the Sabres big 3
Leafs trio has made the playoffs since they were rookies, never missed, the Sabres trio (as Buffalo players obviously, Byram just arrived) have never made the playoffs and they might miss again this year.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Based on what we’ve seen I’d guess in 10 years time we’ll look back and say Buffalo

We did this already. Remember?

The sabres eichel/nylander/reinhart
Vs
Matthews/marner/nylander cores?

We are looking back in 10 years and I don’t think Buffalo made the playoffs a single time

If we're talking about the Sabres big three being Dahlin, Power and Byram then wouldn't the last eight years be irrelevant? I mean Byram just got on the team. Wouldn't the clock start next year?

Except people have been comparing the sabres core to the leafs core since the 2014 draft

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
If we're talking about the Sabres big three being Dahlin, Power and Byram then wouldn't the last eight years be irrelevant? I mean Byram just got on the team. Wouldn't the clock start next year?
Its always next year in Buffalo. It's still the same organization. They rearrange the deck chairs once in a while and keep resting the clock, but some how manage the same results. That's a statement on how far away the Sabres group is from being in a conversation with the Leafs group as a team.

On the players side we know Matthews, Marner and Nylander are stars. Dahlin is a star but Power and Byram are all about potential. We also know the Leafs 3 are the best players on the team. If/when the Sabres become a consistent playoff team is it even reasonable to expect the Sabres 3 are even the 3 best players on the team? Shouldn't a good Sabres team probably figure players like a goaltender, Thompson, Cozens, or their little friends Benson and Savoie figure into their three best players? Not that it's a bad thing from a team building perspective but on the topic I can't see the Sabres 3 being as important to the team.

Where the Leafs big 3 go the Leafs go, for better or worse. They take the Leafs on some amazing regular seasons with some pretty incredible numbers. And they perennially choke away the playoffs. But at least they get there, it's expected and that's on them. They have been chokers. They get called chokers because they should do better. The Sabres group won't even be getting the blame next year if they miss the playoffs again. They need to be a lot better before they get put into a conversation with the Leafs players. A lot has to go right with the Sabres group before they are in a conversation with the Leafs group.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Star forwards can carry an average team. Star defensemen can't really do that, goal prevention is still vastly weighted to goaltending and they're simply not going to tilt the ice the way forwards can. I'd also say Byram and Power have a long way to go before being stars.

Thats just flat out not true. Look at guys like Pronger and Karlsson carrying some pretty mediocre teams to success. And that’s by themselves. If Power and Byram pan out, you’ve got 3 #1 dmen

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Leafs trio has made the playoffs since they were rookies, never missed, the Sabres trio (as Buffalo players obviously, Byram just arrived) have never made the playoffs and they might miss again this year.
Which has a member with a Cup?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Like, in a golfing match? Idk man, the way things have been going for both clubs, that’s where they compete.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Neither team has been successful yet but at least one of them plays playoff games, the other hasn't sense 2011.

It's the Leafs by default.

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
Thats just flat out not true. Look at guys like Pronger and Karlsson carrying some pretty mediocre teams to success. And that’s by themselves. If Power and Byram pan out, you’ve got 3 #1 dmen
Not to mention the Predators have had similar success to the leafs while mostly being built around 2 #1 defensemen and not much on offense, over the past couple decades.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I am just gonna say we have had this conversation about the Leafs and Sens core for what 3? 4 years now? It is Peter Griffin taking the mystery box over a boat because it could be a boat. HF never learns though!
Leafs have about as much chance as a paddleboard going across the North Atlantic. Sabres could be a paddleboard, or they could be an oil tanker.

Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Leafs have about as much chance as a paddleboard going across the North Atlantic. Sabres could be a paddleboard, or they could be an oil tanker.
They don't even know how to swim right now. Always seem to be a new team that is somehow going to be better then the Leafs while also managing to never actually make the playoffs! It is truly amazing. HF with top tier takes as I expect.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Which has a member with a Cup?
Not sure what you're trying to insinuate, that a depth D-man who won a cup is somehow better than Matthews, Marner or Nylander because he won a cup with Colorado ? Doesn't really make any sense, like most of your takes regarding Toronto. Colorado traded him away for a reason lol.

If we're just going to look at Cups won, Edmundson has a cup Dahlin doesn't. Makes sense ?

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Except thats not the OP question was.
We did this already. Remember?

The sabres eichel/nylander/reinhart
Vs
Matthews/marner/nylander cores?

We are looking back in 10 years and I don’t think Buffalo made the playoffs a single time

Except people have been comparing the sabres core to the leafs core since the 2014 draft

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Not sure what you're trying to insinuate, that a depth D-man who won a cup is somehow better than Matthews, Marner or Nylander because he won a cup with Colorado ? Doesn't really make any sense, like most of your takes regarding Toronto. Colorado traded him away for a reason lol.

If we're just going to look at Cups won, Edmundson has a cup Dahlin doesn't. Makes sense ?
Edmundson is irrelevant because he’s not apart of the poll. Sabres trio has more potential, as the Leafs are known chokers. Bryam has won more playoff series than the Leafs 3 combined :laugh:

Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad