Leafs vs Sabres. Which Big 3 will be more successful.

Which Big 3 will be more successful

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The traditional HfBoards debate

The players who accomplished more in their careers (including at the same age)
OR
The mystery box

Matthews was already in his Hart + Ted Lindsay + Rocket winning season at this point in Dahlin's career. Matthews was drafted in 2016, Dahlin was drafted in 2018. It's a smaller age gap than MacKinnon and Matthews.

Last edited:
Reactions: bossram

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The Leafs core make the playoffs every year but they haven’t figured it out so obviously it’s Buffalos core who haven’t even sniffed the playoffs
They were one point out last year. They sniffed the playoffs like it was a pile of coke.

If we're basing it off of team success, then I'd put my money on the Leafs. The Sabres trip over themselves all the time. The Leafs aren't great, but they're a solid team that is a shoo-in for the playoff's year in and year out.

A more interesting debate would be which 3 would you take going forward because in my mind- defense is quite a bit more important than scoring wingers, but Matthews is the best of the 6 players. The potential of Power and Byram is intriguing + Dahlin is a legit #1 guy (borderline top-5 D in the league). Do you take the sky-high potential at the more critical position, or do you go the safe route and take the Leafs core three which has two players from the least important position in hockey? Because if Power and Byram hit on their potential with Dahlin already anchoring the defense, then the choice is easy. Big if, though!

Last edited:

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I am just gonna say we have had this conversation about the Leafs and Sens core for what 3? 4 years now? It is Peter Griffin taking the mystery box over a boat because it could be a boat. HF never learns though!
The problem is the Leafs boat is full of holes and is sinking. So I will take the mystery box and hope it is a fully functional boat

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The problem is the Leafs boat is full of holes and is sinking. So I will take the mystery box and hope it is a fully functional boat
That isn't even remotely true lol let one of these up and coming future dynasties make the playoffs just one time and then we can start the conversation. Just once.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
That isn't even remotely true lol let one of these up and coming future dynasties make the playoffs just one time and then we can start the conversation. Just once.
I didnt say the Sabres are a better team now. We are talking about which core will have more success. The Leafs are prime right now so if they dont win now-ish they are in trouble. The Sabres core are at least young and have room to improve plus they have the luxury of more time

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Based on what we’ve seen I’d guess in 10 years time we’ll look back and say Buffalo

Did you not learn your lesson when we did this EXACT same poll when Eichel was drafted? Everybody picked Buffalo and the Sabres still haven't seen a playoff game since.

Sure Eichel has a cup but that didn't come in Buffalo.

This poll shouldn't even exist until the Sabres make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad