Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs [s]Refs[/s] Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
One of the only coaching decision Babe got right in his time here haha
Honestly, Hyman wasn't the same player then that he is now. I was in the same boat of "why is this guy getting top line minutes just handed to him when he doesn't produce and so many plays die on his stick?". He's gotten so much better in the last 2 years.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I know it’s obviously very early but I think outside of the leafs.....the habs and Jets both look very strong (I think jets will be better with PLD). So I think winning the division becomes even more important. No cake walk, but I have faith that leafs will win the first rd against Flames, Oilers or Nucks. So let’s continue steaking boys!

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Same feeling Spezza talked about in his presser...feeling like we can win every night right now. Hope we keep this rolling! May finally have a team built for the playoffs

Reactions: D00bis

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Just realized this is a contract year for Zach Hyman

In 2017 when Matthews had a bad game I was like please for the love of god get this guy off Matthews' line. In 2021 when Matthews has a bad game I'm like please for the love of god get this guy back on Matthews' line.

lol this couldn’t be more true. It was so frustrating watching him fumble set up after set up created by Matthews/Nylander. Now, he’s a catalyst for whatever line he’s on.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just realized this is a contract year for Zach Hyman

In 2017 when Matthews had a bad game I was like please for the love of god get this guy off Matthews' line. In 2021 when Matthews has a bad game I'm like please for the love of god get this guy back on Matthews' line.

Hyman is a glue player and a real asset to any line he is on.

He does the dirty work that makes any line he is on more effective.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Based on performances so far a fourth line of Engvall-Spezza-Boyd would be great.

But it's early in the season and I like that Keefe is giving the depth options chances to play and make an impact.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Top lines still aren’t firing at 100% 5v5. I am of the belief JT needs Marner more than Matthews.

So, I’d go:
Simmonds Matthews Willie
Hyman JT Marner
Soup Kerfoot Spezza
Vesey Engvall Anderson

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
So what do we do when Thorton comes back and we're still winning?

With the depth of this team it's so good watching and seeing players slide in and out and still have everything running fine, it shows how good the system really is.

I think Thorton will still slide with Matthews and Marner but Keefe might be more willing to slide Hyman into that roll more often.. hymans been underrated again and has been very good. I also would like to see Thorton split time between Matthews and the 3rd line.. Soups been really good and hustles hard.

Call me crazy but Thornton looked better beside Matthews than Hyman does.

Hyman looked much better on the 3rd line.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

That's what over 1600 nhl points does to y'all sire. He bout that talent. They finna roll that out since he returns :clap: They'll be happy for life. Hy-Man will play there some shifts after that too, everytime we have the lead. Meaning a lot sire. Since we the greatest like Alis was.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

Personally I'd like to see:

Thornton/Matthews/Nylander and Hyman/Tavares/Marner.

I think Thornton would do well with two speedy goal scorers. And we all seen what the other line can do.

Reactions: Mugzy97

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I find the hate from the Edmonton fans, like in the first post of their GDT hilarious, given how little we care about them. Like at all

Insecurities at their finest, salty because this Leafs team is what they hoped their team would become with McDavid/Drai and their elite offensive D-man Tyson Barrie

Reactions: saffronleaf

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Personally I'd like to see:

Thornton/Matthews/Nylander and Hyman/Tavares/Marner.

I think Thornton would do well with two speedy goal scorers. And we all seen what the other line can do.
Personally liked the way Thornton-Matthews-Marner played. And have clearly formed a bond off the ice as well, that quite often can carry over. I'd leave it and rotate a guy up for Thornton when he needs breaks in game like Keefe was doing. I agree Hyman should be in the top 6 though. I think Vesey has been subpar and given a great chance early on with the top 6, and ive really liked Simmonds game with 3rd line minutes. My ideal lineup at full health is:
Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Simmonds
Robertson-Spezza-Vesey
*Engvall rotates in for Spezza when need be and Robertson elevates to Thornton's spot when he needs a break

Reactions: Jmo89

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would like Robertson with Matthews and Marner. Then i would like Robertson with Tavares and Willy for another look. Keefe probably will at some point. I think Robertson would fit like a glove with Matthews and Marner. Triple threat possibility after they get some chemistry.
Robertson is out 3 weeks already i think. I’ll have to check

Robertson is only out 2 weeks now. Seems like a eternity because i want to see him play bad. Anyways another whole two weeks to wait.

Reactions: supermann_98

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
handful of days off after today's game. Would be massive to sweep berta'

hopefully Sheldon can throw some incentive down on the game, give the guys a couple days off between tomorrow and Thursday if they come away with the 2pts tonight.

Wont be easy though, I think we have fortunately/unfortunately frustrated Conner in the first 3 meetings. Hasn't been able to break the game open like he usually does against us. I am expecting a massive push back from 97 tonight.

STAY OUT OF THE BIN

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Something tells me that we will be complaining about the refs again, but will it will be for letting too much go? or doubling down and calling everything including unsportsmanlike conducts for complaining.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Top lines still aren’t firing at 100% 5v5. I am of the belief JT needs Marner more than Matthews.

So, I’d go:
Simmonds Matthews Willie
Hyman JT Marner
Soup Kerfoot Spezza
Vesey Engvall Anderson

Similar view as you on the bolded.

Interesting thought on the lines as well, but I’d personally prefer Spezza back to 4th line and Vesey on the 3rd. Imagine the conundrum when Thornton comes back :) (good problem to have but interesting nonetheless)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille