GDT: Leafs vs Penguins 7 PM Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Maple Leafs-Penguins game preview

Bozak is ahead of former linemate Phil Kessel in points.

By: Mark Zwolinski Sports reporter, Published on Tue Dec 29 2015

Consol Energy Center

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet

Radio: Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Key matchup: Phil Kessel vs. Tyler Bozak

The former teammates, linemates and still good friends, face each other with a bit of a twist this time: Bozak is ahead of Kessel in points. Bozak, with points in his last 10 games before Tuesday night, has nine goals and 15 assists, ahead of his sniper buddy, who has 11 goals and nine assists. There will no doubt be some bragging rights on the line in this game.

Three things to know about the Penguins

Sidney Crosby’s scoring funk continues, with the best player in the game in the worst slump of his career. He has just two goals and seven assists in December, a factor in the Penguins’ 4-8-1 record so far this month. Crosby is on pace for about 50 points, which would be a dramatic career low for him.

G Marc-Andre Fleury and D Chris Letang practised with the club Wednesday. Fleury, suffering from a concussion, remains on a gradual recovery pace, but Letang could be a game-time decision for the Leafs matchup. D Ben Lovejoy, who suffered a bad cut to the face over the weekend vs. Winnipeg, is also expected to play.

Every analyst has taken a look at the Penguins and why they are struggling this season. Pittsburgh, which acquired Kessel from the Leafs and were expected to challenge for the lead in the Eastern Conference, has just 79 goals, third lowest in the NHL. The Pens changed coaches, bringing in Mike Sullivan seven games ago to replace Mike Johnston — but they are just 2-5-0 under their new coach.

Up next: Saturday vs. St. Louis Blues, 7 p.m.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Toronto Maple Leafs:
35 GP - 13W, 15L, 7OTL = 33 Points
GF = 92, GA = 100
Last 10 = 5-3-2

Leafs lines:
JVR-Bozak-Parenteau
Grabner-Kadri-Komarov
Winnik-Holland-Lupul
Matthias-Froese-Boyes

Pittsburgh Penguins:
35 GP - 17W, 15L, 3OTL = 37 Points
GF = 79, GA = 86
Last 10 = 3-6-1

Reported Pens practice lines:
Cullen is absent from practice.
Kunitz-Crosby-Sheary
Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist
Wilson-Bonino-Kessel
Porter-Fehr-Plotnikov

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Hope we lose again!

tumblr_mzg1ynul7E1s36aafo1_500.gif

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Be nice if Arcobello could get up to the 10+ point mark before the deadline so we could ship him out for late pick.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I am not a "lose on purpose" supporter, but we need to gift wrap 2 points to the Pens tonight....their 1st ending up as ours depends on them making the post season....

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Arcobello is way better than Froese.

Arcobello, 27, has skated in seven games with the Maple Leafs this season. Since being assigned to the Marlies earlier this season, Arcobello has collected 27 points (12 goals, 15 assists) in 23 games. The Milford, Connecticut native currently ranks 7th in AHL scoring.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I am not a "lose on purpose" supporter, but we need to gift wrap 2 points to the Pens tonight....their 1st ending up as ours depends on them making the post season....

As much I never want to see my Leafs lose a game, I have to admit that I wouldn't mind seeing the Pens take the 2 points tonight.

I just think we need to secure that 2016 Pens 1st rounder! However, the Pens have to do their part too. It'll take more than just beating our Leafs.

I really hope their not trying to tank in order to have a shot at Matthews. Getting Matthews might make it possible for them to trade Malkin, or Crosby, for a top defenseman. Is this what they are thinking? Who knows? :dunno:

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, this is kind of one I want to lose too. I want it to be close, like every game, but if we lost by one in regulation after a hard fought game, that would be perfect. I wonder where Arcobello fits in. I doubt he replaces anyone barring an injury or illness, and usually Clune is the guy they bring up if they need a 13th forward, so I wonder what's happening. Probably an injury or illness from yesterday, but there could also be a trade coming up. Some deals tend to go down on January 1st (i.e. Gleason for Liles + Robertson).

EDIT: Froese was injured yesterday, but you'd think if they wanted a 4C, you'd call up Carrick. He makes far more sense there, especially since Arcobello isn't a great center, nor a great 4th liner. Carrick is both a great 4th liner and center.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Arcobello is way better than Froese.

As a whole, this is true, but Froese is a better 4th liner. Arcobello, like Boyes and Matthias, is better suited for a top 9 role. I think if we open up a spot for him relatively soon, he'd excel in 2nd/3rd line scoring role similar to what Parenteau is getting and what Boyes should be getting.

Froese is capable of an offensive role and can probably take the 3rd line center role next year, but he is also perfectly capable of getting a ton of PK and defensive zone starts and just making offense happen when he can. Arcobello is not really a PK/heavy defensive zone start kind of guy.

I'm hoping us bringing him up has to do with a trade. There are good odds in favour of that and Arcobello replacing someone full time until Nick Spaling comes back.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
As much I never want to see my Leafs lose a game, I have to admit that I wouldn't mind seeing the Pens take the 2 points tonight.

I just think we need to secure that 2016 Pens 1st rounder! However, the Pens have to do their part too. It'll take more than just beating our Leafs.

I really hope their not trying to tank in order to have a shot at Matthews. Getting Matthews might make it possible for them to trade Malkin, or Crosby, for a top defenseman. Is this what they are thinking? Who knows? :dunno:

It should be possible for them to trade 1 now and not get Matthews and win.
In theory, you don't need both Malkin and Crosby to win the cup. They could choose 1, get a King's ransom for the other. Improve the D, improve the depth. They would still have Crosby or Malkin on 1 line and Kessel on another. Chicago doesn't have Towes/Malkin and Kane. Bottom line, as it stands they can't afford to upgrade the rest of the team when the bulk of their Cap is spent on Crosby/Malkin/Kessel/Letang. Not if they underperform. They are dead in the water in that case because they have 4th liners and 6/7 D behind them.

I see the Leafs taking the 2 points tonight.
1. Pens are sucking big right now.
2. Babcock is angry about getting thumped last night.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Yeah, this is kind of one I want to lose too. I want it to be close, like every game, but if we lost by one in regulation after a hard fought game, that would be perfect. I wonder where Arcobello fits in. I doubt he replaces anyone barring an injury or illness, and usually Clune is the guy they bring up if they need a 13th forward, so I wonder what's happening. Probably an injury or illness from yesterday, but there could also be a trade coming up. Some deals tend to go down on January 1st (i.e. Gleason for Liles + Robertson).

EDIT: Froese was injured yesterday, but you'd think if they wanted a 4C, you'd call up Carrick. He makes far more sense there, especially since Arcobello isn't a great center, nor a great 4th liner. Carrick is both a great 4th liner and center.

I think bringing up Carrick would expose him to waivers where as Arcobello has already been sent down recently and wouldn't have to clear again.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Arcobello has done very well for himself, since going to the Marlies... He's tied for second highest points on the Marlies, with Brennan,,,, with 12 goals and 15 assists.., in just 23 games...

I've enjoyed watching him in the Marlies... and I think he will do better, than most expect he will..

Your Time Has Come: Mark Arcobello Montage - TML 2015-16

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for the GDT, Budsfan... and HAPPY NEW YEAR, to everyone in here..!! :yo::yo::yo::yo:

Let's take these Penguins out of the game, for New Year's..!

Penguin Fever: Leafs vs Penguins Match-Up/ Montage - TML 2013-14

GO LEAFS GO !!

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Arcobello has done very well for himself, since going to the Marlies... He's tied for second highest points on the Marlies, with Brennan,,,, with 12 goals and 15 assists.., in just 23 games...

I've enjoyed watching him in the Marlies... and I think he will do better, than most expect he will..

Your Time Has Come: Mark Arcobello Montage - TML 2015-16

I couldn't agree more.

He was an NHL'er last season, and was professional and productive for the Marlies after he was sent down this season. The guy straight-up deserves to be playing in the NHL right now. The pre-season and first few games he was really bad, but he's worked his way back.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Hopes for this game:
(1) Remier plays great ... and gets the first star.
(2) Leo steals the puck from Kessel and scores in the third period and does a Jose Bautista bat flip with his stick. Stick lands on Kessel who was coasting ... late on the backcheck.
(3) Arcobello plays well.
(4) Leafs lose 2-1 with Crosby scoring both goals late in the 3rd.

soulie

Jan 9, 2008

Yea well I got you covered I am a tank commander and I'll bring out the old James Reimer voodoo doll tonight. :sarcasm:

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I would start Bernier today.

We need to get their first rounder.

Also Phil on the 3rd line now... Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad