Series Talk: Leafs vs Lightning Pre-Playoff Thread

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
For some reason, I still cannot get excited, did not even flinch after the OT goal - might be something wrong with me, but being heavily outplayed in three games out of four does not make me think of any good things...

But god damn, O'Reilly has been a gift from the heavens, sweet baby jesus is he a player in the playoffs.

I am afraid more than anything, forgive me for not believing.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
There exists some ambiguity in "Leafs in 4". If we win game 5 I'm counting my 14 person army as winning this poll too. 4 wins in a row to take a series against Tampa is a sweep in my books.

Beleaf.

Edit: 15. Somewhere out there, Zeke voted Leafs in 4 in spirit.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
This being a home game I expect the Leafs to come out buzzing like in Game 2. Doesn't mean they'll put up a touchdown, or even win if the bounces don't go their way, but I expect a killer instinct from puck drop with the 2nd period acting as a trap once the adrenaline wears off.

I've seen too much talk though, both on here and on the main boards, that the Leafs are just lucky to win after being outplayed. Period 1 of last game and period 2 of Game 3 were bad, yes, but at no point in this series has Tampa come even close to the domination the Leafs displayed in game 2. It takes at least 60 minutes to win a hockey game, and when the Leafs have had bad periods they've made up for it in other ways while Tampa has taken their foot off the gas quite a few times already which has prevented them from sealing the deal.

These are the new look Leafs and I'm proud to be a fan. Win it in 5 - Go Leafs Go

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The only thing I don't like is that extra day off before game 5. If it was up to me I'd have them play again tonight. No time to think, no time to let the negativity ("here we go again") sink in.

Now they come back to hockey-mad Toronto and have all that external noise for the next few days. Just hope they find a new XBox game or Netflix series to keep themselves busy & distracted and not let the pressure of the moment get to them.

I mean it's crazy that we're talking about an opening round series like it's the Stanley Cup final but for this group, it's close to that in terms of how monumental winning this series is.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The only thing I don't like is that extra day off before game 5. If it was up to me I'd have them play again tonight. No time to think, no time to let the negativity ("here we go again") sink in.

Now they come back to hockey-mad Toronto and have all that external noise for the next few days. Just hope they find a new XBox game or Netflix series to keep themselves busy & distracted and not let the pressure of the moment get to them.

I mean it's crazy that we're talking about an opening round series like it's the Stanley Cup final but for this group, it's close to that in terms of how monumental winning this series is.

Yeah that 2 days off comes at a terrible time, win or lose. I think it benefits them so much more, but hey... we'll see.

I think Samsonov getting an extra day helps a lot though. He's been busy a ton.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Next game I really think Keefe should roll:

Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Jarnkrok - Tavares - Marner
Knies - O'Reilly - Acciari
Reese - Kampf - Kerfoot

McCabe - Brodie
Rielly - Schenn
Giordano - Liljegren

Reactions: SprDaVE

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
For some reason, I still cannot get excited, did not even flinch after the OT goal - might be something wrong with me, but being heavily outplayed in three games out of four does not make me think of any good things...

But god damn, O'Reilly has been a gift from the heavens, sweet baby jesus is he a player in the playoffs.

I am afraid more than anything, forgive me for not believing.
Playoffs start Thursday.

Reactions: Visnovsky

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Keefe says Matthew Knies won't be taken out of the lineup for Game 5. Going to take the next two days to decide who comes out for Bunting.

It'll be ZAR or Lafferty for sure.

Reactions: SprDaVE

AndyWozniewski

Jan 18, 2017
I'm so hyped about the win but still so nervous about game 5. The past 6 years tells me the series ends like this:

- we come out flat and lose game 5 easily
- lose a close game 6 (probably in OT)
- get shutout in game 7 with Tampa putting on a defensive clinic

Really hope this team is different and we put it away in 5. Won't believe it till I see it.

Reactions: sxvnert

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Acciari & Schenn within the top five in hits.

hits.png

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
There is no way Tampa is coming back. Its the Leafs' time now. They can put this Tampa team finally out to pasture. Get ready for a deep playoff run.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I'm so hyped about the win but still so nervous about game 5. The past 6 years tells me the series ends like this:

- we come out flat and lose game 5 easily
- lose a close game 6 (probably in OT)
- get shutout in game 7 with Tampa putting on a defensive clinic

Really hope this team is different and we put it away in 5. Won't believe it till I see it.
- Keefe puts Bunting in. TBay rallies around attacking Bunting while drawing the rest of the team in the mud. The comeback begins.

There is no way Tampa is coming back. Its the Leafs' time now. They can put this Tampa team finally out to pasture. Get ready for a deep playoff run.
If the Habs can do it, anyone can. Leafs better pray Vasilevskiy doesn't enter god mode otherwise the tide will turn.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
- Keefe puts Bunting in. TBay rallies around attacking Bunting while drawing the rest of the team in the mud. The comeback begins.
I honestly think it's more likely that the 3rd period and OT of Game 4 put the Lightning into "Don't take any penalties" mode.

AndyWozniewski

Jan 18, 2017

If the Habs can do it, anyone can. Leafs better pray Vasilevskiy doesn't enter god mode otherwise the tide will turn.
- the league assigns Wes McCauley for game 7, Tampa goes 5/5 on the powerplay

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Keefe says Matthew Knies won't be taken out of the lineup for Game 5. Going to take the next two days to decide who comes out for Bunting.

It'll be ZAR or Lafferty for sure.

ZAR has been a lot more noticeable, even if he caused the first goal against in Game 1. He's been grinding, hitting and making solid plays. Last night he made a couple really noticeable defensive zone exits.

Lafferty has had the worst stats of any Leafs forward. He's still ok or whatever but inserting Bunting for him should be a good upgrade in a lot of ways.

Reactions: Atomos2

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016

Vasilevsky has shown he cannot go into God mode anymore. I think his best days are behind him. Personally I think he's overrated with all the hype I hear from the media. Leafs are built better and there won't be any meltdown of 3 straight games ? I give Tampa one more game. But Leafs will close them out in Tampa. The reign of Tampa is officially over

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Just a casual reminder that 10 years ago the Leafs C depth was:
Bozak-Kadri-Bolland-Holland

Now it's:
Matthews-Tavares-ROR-Kampf

I just can't get over how strong this team is down the middle now after the ROR trade. What a great time to be a fan! This team is going to end this series at home in game 5.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Love how all of the leaf haters are acting as if Lalonde gave away the nuclear codes on live television.
They're well aware of Vasis weaknesses. Almost all of the leafs goals were scored with traffic & tips.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Guys…I’ve been listening to the Marek show and 32 Thoughts with Friedman and have always respected them. They’re great sources and come off as very neutral.

But lately the talks, when they’re about the Leafs, either have no praise or they’re flat out ignored.

Look at this:

1682532893306.jpeg

Every series talked about except 1. And they don’t talk about the Leafs comeback game 4 win at all.

Isn’t that weird? Any reason

Love how all of the leaf haters are acting as if Lalonde gave away the nuclear codes on live television.
They're well aware of Vasis weaknesses. Almost all of the leafs goals were scored with traffic & tips.
Oh man. Kyper whines about this on his podcast. God forbid an nhl coach talks about something that is already well known.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Guys…I’ve been listening to the Marek show and 32 Thoughts with Friedman and have always respected them. They’re great sources and come off as very neutral.

But lately the talks, when they’re about the Leafs, either have no praise or they’re flat out ignored.

Look at this:

View attachment 697090

Every series talked about except 1. And they don’t talk about the Leafs comeback game 4 win at all.

Isn’t that weird? Any reason

Oh man. Kyper whines about this on his podcast. God forbid an nhl coach talks about something that is already well known.
I stopped listening to them awhile ago, but I remember back when listening to them Marek would always make comments about how listeners can't stand hearing them talk about the leafs, so they would purposely do leaf content either right away or at the end so people could skip lmao.

Seems like they really just don't wanna push the leafs at all.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
I stopped listening to them awhile ago, but I remember back when listening to them Marek would always make comments about how listeners can't stand hearing them talk about the leafs, so they would purposely do leaf content either right away or at the end so people could skip lmao.

Seems like they really just don't wanna push the leafs at all.
Hey I get that. But ignoring one series and not talking about a huge comeback at all?

That’s how much they’re gonna cater to haters? This just makes Fried and Marek look unprofessional

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00